Opinions on Anthony Stauffer/StevieSnacks and Derry Gabel DVDs?

• Thread starter pfizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pfizer

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been thinking of getting some new guitar lesson DVDs; I've always had a thing for collecting lesson DVDs for some reason. I'm looking at two pretty popular Youtube educators but with very different styles of playing.

I've only recently discovered SRV and now, I see what all the hype was about. I looked at some free lessons by Anthony Stauffer from Youtube and now I'm thinking about getting his DVDs. He's a very meticulous teacher and explains pretty much every move and note he makes.

Derry Gabel is more of a fusion player, a genre I never really got into, but he seems to know his musical theory (something I really need to brush up on). I'm also thinking about getting his DVDs, but he seems a little bit of a bore :squint:

Any opinions on these guys' DVDs? Are they worth buying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Derryl Gabel DVD's are packed with information. He can be kind of dull sometimes, but the material he's showing off is not at all.

His music theory stuff is great, really cool concepts. Even if you're not really into fusion stuff, you can still apply the harmonic concepts to other genres. Wes Hauch, Christian Muenzner, and all those metal guys apply fusion concepts in their leads a lot, even if only a little bit it adds a lot of flavor.

His claim to fame is his legato technique DVDs, which are quite advanced. Christian Muenzner from Obscura actually has a couple licks that are 100% ripped off from Gabel's legato DVDs.

pfizer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice dude, I'll definitely look more into Derryl's stuff.

Do you have any recommendations on which of his DVDs are the best? I'm thinking of getting his Chords and Harmony DVD, Fretboard Intensive Training, Tapping and Supersonic Sweeping.

pfizer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice dude. How about any of the other titles I mentioned? I'm trying to brush up on my music theory as well.

On another note, I'm trying to download your Guitarmageddon app, but internet's a little weird right now. Just wanted to ask if it features the Basic/Intermediate/Advanced warmup exercises on your Youtube channel?

Maniacal

Reaction score
No it doesn't. But it does have a lot of very similar exercises on there.

Cool Legato Phrases and Chordal Mysteries revealed would be a good start. Chordal Mysteries is a huge undertaking and requires a lot of work.

')