Opinions on audio interfaces

• Thread starter Soulthief
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
For years i've been using a focusrite scarlett 2i4.
But the past few weeks it is giving me signs that it might be time for a replacement...
for instance, my right speak monitor sometimes goes silent (and yes, I switched the speakers and tried new cables so my only conclusion is that it is probably the output socket)
Input one sound like there is a large hall reverb on it.
Also, sometimes it turn off for like half a second

So.... time for something new. I am a bit on a budget and I am doing this as a hobby so no need for me to go RME or UAD.
I mainly looking for 4 inputs, so I don't have to switch cables in and out, MIDI input and of course, low latency.

I narrowed it down for now to 3 options which I whould like to get some opions on.
-Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB
-Steinberg UR44
-Presonus 18/24c (new black version)

I'm on a windows system using Reaper

Like to hear your opinions or other suggestions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I prefer the sound of Presonus stuff but I don't think you can go wrong with that or the Clarett.

chopeth

Reaction score
I have the steinberg and never had a problem with it. Awesome interface

Ed Fry

Reaction score
Hi Soulthief,

Sorry to hear you seem to be having some issues with your Scarlett. I know you've not asked specifically for assistance with this and more for advice on upgrading, but if you would like some, it'd be best to contact our support team, as I've not seen these issues before, by going to the Focusrite website > Support > Contact.

Glad to hear you're looking at the 4Pre, that'd be a great upgrade form the 2i4 with more IO possibility with Focusrite Control, better specifications and also the AIR mode which gives you more flexibility with preamp sound. Depending on the generation of Scarlett the latency will be comparable or better so if you're happy with its performance the Clarett will be a good choice for you.

If you have any further questions about the Clarett feel free to reply here or contact us via the support form.

Thanks,

Ed F // Focusrite Technical Support

Soulthief

Toch maar vertalen?
Reaction score
Hi Soulthief,

Sorry to hear you seem to be having some issues with your Scarlett. I know you've not asked specifically for assistance with this and more for advice on upgrading, but if you would like some, it'd be best to contact our support team, as I've not seen these issues before, by going to the Focusrite website > Support > Contact.

Glad to hear you're looking at the 4Pre, that'd be a great upgrade form the 2i4 with more IO possibility with Focusrite Control, better specifications and also the AIR mode which gives you more flexibility with preamp sound. Depending on the generation of Scarlett the latency will be comparable or better so if you're happy with its performance the Clarett will be a good choice for you.

If you have any further questions about the Clarett feel free to reply here or contact us via the support form.

Thanks,

Ed F // Focusrite Technical Support

Hi Ed,

I took it from my home towards rehersals and back home like a lot.. not the best tlc an audio interface can have. The thing is build like a tank but the issues I'm having are the results of some abuse. But than again, I is still working but not as good as it used to.

That said, nowadays my audio interface is only sitting on my desk where it belongs and making music more at home rather than at rehearsals.
I use a lot... well only VST and VSTi so I also think I need a better audio interface that can keep up with the amount of converting it has to do.
For example, I have at least 2 guitar tracks with Neural DSP fortin NTS, for bass EZmix, Superior drummer 3 and on vocals also EZmix. Then, where needed I use a lot of Waves vst's for compressing and eqing stuff like that.......

In theory my system should have more than enough power to handle all this processing. But maybe I'm wrong there ;-)

')