Opinions on Mix? (PODX3, TSEX30)

• Thread starter feeleuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feeleuphoria

Reaction score
Ok, so i need some help with this mix guys, and i know you all will come through for me haha.

I have been tracking and mixing with this band for about a month and am just not getting exactly what i'm looking for. I posted an extremely rough version of this song that was instrumental a couple weeks ago. But now there are vocals, and i'd really appreciate some crits!

anything and everything!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2255790/Her...Finished or close/Song 3 mix 3 (with Cox).mp3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Radius_Vector

Melakarthan
Reaction score
The guitar tones are a bit dry, they feel scratchy - also, some more punch on the kick will be nice - 100 Hz anyone?

The guitars can be tracked better too. Brighten up the drums? I've never mixed brutal vocals before so I have nothing to add there.

But overall, sounds pretty neat on my headphones !

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I thought it was good. The drums, like Radios Vector says, are kinda damped. When you recorded the drums, did you use seperate mics, and how many if so? OHs should at least be good stereo spread. This should help the rhythm track not seem so dry.

Vocals seem good! Although a bit too gutteral for my taste. If anything, the harmonic vocal layers could use some boost in mids/mid-highs. Also in general the vocal seem to have a bit too strict lo-pass. I'd wish for some more bite or clearness.

feeleuphoria

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! yeah, the guitar playing is very sloppy. all of the guys in the band are around 15-17 years old, and are not very tight at their instruments yet :/

The guitar tones are a bit dry, they feel scratchy - also, some more punch on the kick will be nice - 100 Hz anyone?

The guitars can be tracked better too. Brighten up the drums? I've never mixed brutal vocals before so I have nothing to add there.

But overall, sounds pretty neat on my headphones !

I know what you mean about the guitar tones. Any advice on that? I have tried giving less gain, but that doesn't seem to really help. I also should mention that i didnt mix this with my headphones like i should have :( but instead used my crappy speakers, so that probably has something to do with it.

I thought it was good. The drums, like Radios Vector says, are kinda damped. When you recorded the drums, did you use seperate mics, and how many if so? OHs should at least be good stereo spread. This should help the rhythm track not seem so dry.

Vocals seem good! Although a bit too gutteral for my taste. If anything, the harmonic vocal layers could use some boost in mids/mid-highs. Also in general the vocal seem to have a bit too strict lo-pass. I'd wish for some more bite or clearness.

yes, we recorded the drums with different mics. we had 5 mics. i actually did a lot of sample replacing with the kick and toms, but i left most of the snare there.

Lol, im not a big fan of the vocals either, but its what the band likes. what exactly do you mean by harmonic layers? do you mean the supplemental clean vocals on the chorus?

Thanks so much guys!:hbang:

')