Opinions on Newtone Strings?

memu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello, I recently had come across Newtone strings while searching for Stringjoy/Kalium alternatives and noticed they offer every gauge.

I thought it would be nice to finally get odd and even numbered gauges in a set especially when other brands don't offer 82,83,84,etc
Does anyone have experience with them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
They're made to order, so they won't ship immediately. The website tells you all you need to know.

I use them for my 10-string as they go up to .120. I also buy their 6-string bass packs. I get my strings (guitar and bass) in stainless steel, and I specify the length I need. Been all good, I quite like them. It's pretty much my only source for big strings, because I'd rather pay 3-6 pounds for shipping instead of $70US from Kalium.

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
Yeah I have them on my 7 string bass, one of the few options I could find with a wound high F. They seem fine, and reasonably priced imo, at least in the UK.

DECEMBER

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I ordered a custom short scale 4 string bass set for drop-D, A =432Hz, 108, 84, 64, 44 or something, plus one 146T for a 34" t string in drop-A. After shipping and a foreign transaction fee, it was just over $60 for 5 bass strings.
They fit the instruments perfectly and were the tension I was hoping for, but they went dull fairly quickly. And I'm pretty sure I got the 'Platinum' upgrade which cost extra.
Can't comment on their guitar strings, and I do like a brightbass tone.
They're great for getting the exact gauges you wanr at the exact length you need, but you should be ordering like 10 aets at a time to make the shipping and fees worth it. But you don't really wanna commit to 10 sets unless you know you love them, so buying that first set to try them out is going to be really expensive.
I was buying from Kalium for a while, but they skip some gauges I need, so I had to buy D'Addario singles for the 20w. But Skip is jerk and will steal from you. Suddenly not shipping your order, not replying to emails. Then it arrives a month later after you've already bought strings elsewhere. So he tells you to write "return to sender" on the package and send it back. I did. I never opened it. He never gave the refund. He swears he never got it back, but he refused to open a lost package claim. I put it in a locked outgoing mailbox, it's out of my hands. What kind of customer service is that?! Charge the customer for your lost mail? And he was a smug d-bag about it. Never got my money back. So I'll never buy anything from him again.

Acoustik

Reaction score
My opinion is based from the perspective of an acoustic world. For high end ultra-responsive guitars, Malcolm Newton’s hand wound, round core Masterclass strings provided the best voicing of any string brand I could find. I would special order sets for my 7 string Schwartz Pinnacle Fingerstyle through one of his US distributors, Guitar Gallery.

')