Opinions on Peavey 6505 4x12 v30 cabs?

prelude

Reaction score
Hi. I’m looking at getting a new cab and found this used straight 6506 4x12 with v30s. I have never tried any cab at all from Peavey and it’s actually really hard to find any reviews of their cabs.
So, has anyone here tried one and if so how does it compare to other similar cabs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They sound pretty good out of the box. If you're reasonably handy and can add a brace that extends from the center of the speaker baffle to the back panel, it will tighten it up nicely.

dxjxrose

Reaction score
They do now

They switched at some point, presumably when the folks at Peavey got internet access and finally noticed all the pics of 6505 heads sat on Marshall and Mesa cabs
The older ones all had sheffs they just started doing 30s not to long ago

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
The older ones all had sheffs they just started doing 30s not to long ago

Sounds like you both agree. They used to come with Sheffield and now come with v30.

Either way the cabs build quality is good, doesn't really matter how the v30 got in there (new or swapped from sheffileds) as long as they work.

prelude

Reaction score
They sound pretty good out of the box. If you're reasonably handy and can add a brace that extends from the center of the speaker baffle to the back panel, it will tighten it up nicely.

Ok. I would say that I am reasonably handy but since I have no experience of making braces for cabinets, do you have any tips for how to make one?

And thanks for all the replies guys! If anyone else has experience with the 6505 cabs, feel free to chime in!

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
marshallmg412acabinetv2009303998zspeakers.jpg

Adding a block in a manner similar to that which extend from the rear baffle to the back cover. One of my cabs also has a circle of wood on the back to make certain it sits tighter that or they made the brace too short the first time.

Edika

Reaction score

marshallmg412acabinetv2009303998zspeakers.jpg

Adding a block in a manner similar to that which extend from the rear baffle to the back cover. One of my cabs also has a circle of wood on the back to make certain it sits tighter that or they made the brace too short the first time.

I'm guessing this brace will hinder the vibration of the front baffle where the speakers sit. I'm thinking this will stop any sympathetic sound coming from the front frame and mechanical interaction with the speakers themselves and you'll only get sound coming from the speakers.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
I'm guessing this brace will hinder the vibration of the front baffle where the speakers sit. I'm thinking this will stop any sympathetic sound coming from the front frame and mechanical interaction with the speakers themselves and you'll only get sound coming from the speakers.

It also helps with any vibration that may come from the rear plate of the cabinet if it is poorly sealed and loose fitting.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to really nerd out on cabinet bracing, check out Stephen Fryette’s v-brace patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070158134

He explains a bit about traditional bracing with the post between the baffle and the back, as well as other types.

To hear the difference between traditional bracing and the v-brace you’d need to have a fatbottom and deliverance cab next to each other as I believe the bracing is the only major difference between them.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok. I would say that I am reasonably handy but since I have no experience of making braces for cabinets, do you have any tips for how to make one?

And thanks for all the replies guys! If anyone else has experience with the 6505 cabs, feel free to chime in!

Damn, I didn't even have to answer! :lol: