Opinions on processors?

chrisxrome

Reaction score
Yo guys, I feel dead stupid on this site as I don't actually own a guitar at the minute but I am coming back 3 years out the game and need to get some gear back.

I've been doing some research. I don't want the top stuff I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. As I'm going for mainly metal type tones you can judge what would be cooler for my use.

So, who uses a Boss GT-8 or GT-10 that rates them highly or can compare the two or give suggestions to what else would be awesome?

Thanks a lot guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-Om

Reaction score
As of now, you can search the forum and the suggestions will be POD HD, Digitech RP500-1000 or GSP1101, AxeFx depending on what your budget is and what you are looking for soundwise

fortisursus

Reaction score
I can attest for the pod HD. It is quite good, but requires a lot of twiddling. Out of the box, most of the models sound like crap. But if you take the time and work on a single patch at a time, you can get some pretty good sounds. In my dorm I play through some studio monitors, and If I play live, I just hook straight up to the PA system. I'm sure an axe FX will sound better, but if you want a low cost alternative the POD HD can get good tones.

Demiurge

Reaction score
What are you playing for guitars? Are you planning on using it as a preamp for a poweramp mainly or for recording?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
22525047.jpg

I just got a GT-8 and can get... okay metal tones from it, but not great. The gate in it is great for most applications, but you can't get it sounding REALLY tight as it's not FULLY adjustable (no attack parameter) etc. I imagine the GT-10 would be a tad better, but not amazingly. The interface of the GT-8 is actually a joy to use, I'll admit. It's set up logically and everything you would need quick access to is right there.

POD HD's are definitely the way to go if you're on a budget, very tight, very flexible, a lot more "real" sounding, more options, etc.

Eleven Rack is commonly referred to as "the poor man's AxeFX" and in a way it is. It's a step up from the Pod HD series (some would say), but it's not crazy expensive. Plus it come with ProTools I believe.

If you have the money, get the AxeFX. If you want something less versatile, and less expensive, but still great, POD HD's are the way to go.

Bevo

Reaction score
From cheap to expensive I would go..
POD X3 Live, HD500, Eleven, AXE

Hook that up to an Alto powered monitor and you have a damn good rig for whatever you want.
$600 will get you in the game not including guitar.

flow

>know
Reaction score
A couple of the guitarists that jam in the same rehearsal building as me use POD's and one has a Carvin power amp, and his rig sounds great! i would say definitely go for the POD. Even when compared to the Elevenrack i think the pod reigns supreme

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
Dollar to dollar I found the GSP to be faaaar superior to the gt-10. For a flagship product, the gt-10 has probably been my biggest disappointment. The effects are decent but the distortion emulations are shite.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
The use of the word "processor" in your original post leads me to think that you're looking for effects more than amp models. If this is the case, the Boss rig is pretty good. I hated their COSM amp models, but their effects models are pretty spot on for the most part. Personally, I use the t.c. electronics Nova System, a floor based effects processor than handles delays, verbs, tremolo, pitch shifting, flangers, choruses, and phasers really well. It has two different analogue drives as well, but I don't use those as I run the Nova in the loop of my amp and use that for distortion.

If you're looking for something that you can just plug into a P.A. or a power amp and speaker combo, the Line 6 amp models are far superior to the Boss ones. I use Line 6 stuff for scratch tracking and demos and it sounds pretty legit. I still prefer to mic real amps for actual tracking, but I'm almost sold on the Kemper amp profiler and may be ditching all of my tube stuff for one of those. Don't tell anyone. I have a curmudgeonly old man reputation to uphold. That being said, even if I did go with the amp profiler, I would still use a t.c. electronics effects processor for all of the stuff that the Kemper doesn't do.

chrisxrome

Reaction score
This got a lot more replies than I thought, thanks a lot guys.

Yeah I keep hearing good things about the Line 6 HD series, so I think I may look into them a little more. But will definitely look into all the other suggestions too. You guys have been golden!

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Line 6 HD if you're on a budget, but realize that once you've already paid for it + tax (if buying from retail) you could save a couple hundred bucks more and try to score a used Axe-FX Std/Ultra. Just my 2 cents, I prefer to save for something I really want rather than settle for less because I know I won't ever need to upgrade it in the near future.

With processors/modelers, you literally get what you pay for. High end is Axe FX 2, Kemper Profiling. Mid is the Pod HD/Elevenrack. Low is pretty much anything other than those.

Edit: I've used a plethora of modelers, including the Digitech GNX4, Both of the mentioned Boss Models, a Pod x3, HD 500, and my current Axe-FX II. Axe has been the best so far. I haven't tested a Kemper yet but I've heard from some trusted friends of mine that it's really solid, just a different beast from the Axe-FX. The Pod HD 500 is pretty decent, but you will have to do some SERIOUS tweaking as the stock patches suck. I believe Chimp Spanner used the HD500 on his album "At The Dreams Edge".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72RP8lvHcqc

Bevo

Reaction score
Anther thing to consider beyond the gear itself is the backup of available options.
What I mean is there a forums dedicated to each device that can give you any tone you want or need with all the assistance you could ask for.

Look at our HD, AXE and GSP threads here, an incredible amount of help. Some of the other systems or sub systems don't have the same following and therefore help.

thetobarmethod

thetobarmethod:/
Reaction score
the gt-series is great, the rp line is good as well, but if u want overall digital quality, and the most versatility out of these things, listen to these guys and go with the Line 6 shit. They are really really good.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Axe Fx II, pair of Mackie HD1221s, and of course a Blackmachine B7, since there is no mention of budget, I'm assuming you're loaded though you don't go around telling people lol jk :p

I own a POD HD Pro and am really happy with it though, but the HD500 has all the same sounds and power, and is also a footcontroller, so either one paired with an active monitor such as the Alto TS112A 12" Active 2-Way Speaker | GuitarCenter can be had for around $1000.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
btw I own an HD500 and the new Line 6 powered monitor, the L3M.

It's LOUD, and awesome. Drowns out my bandmates 5150 and the speaker sounds way better than the mackie!

chrisxrome

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on this, I'm definitely leaning towards the HD-500, I can't find negative reviews on it anywhere and I have always got on with line6. Cheers!

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
If you want good sound and a affordable price tag My dollar goes for a "Line-6 X3 Live" every time. I prefer the high gain sounds on it to most stuff out there. The X3 has way more options and bang for your buck in comparison to the hd series.

Latest posts

')