Opinions on Rocktron gear?

• Thread starter TelegramSam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I've been using Rocktron gear for more than 15 years.

I own-
Rocktron Prophesy
Rocktron Chameleon
Rocktron Xpression
ROcktron Pro-Q
Rockltron Intellifex Online
Rocktron Intellipitch
Rocktron Velocity 300 (old 2 space version)
Rocktron Velocity (new 1 space version)
ADA MP-1
ADA MP-2
Axe FX 2 Mach II

I used the MP-1 with the Rocktron Pro-Q for years as my main rig after I got rid of my original 5150 head.
The ADA with the Pro-Q beat the hell out of my 5150.
Then I used Chameleon for a long while until the Prophesy came out.
The Prophesy and the Aex FX 2 are running quite the race.
I'm still not sure if the Axe FX 2 has better tone than the Prophesy.

The Velocity 300 power amps will always be my main power amp no matter what preamp I'm using.

It has those reactance knobs that when turned up add loads of bottom end to your tone.
You can got from clock radio to a wall of 4x12s with the turn of the knob!
A lot of guys use a BBE to do the same thing.
I want..........all of it!!!! lol that's an awesome list of gear dude!:bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I rather enjoy the sounds the Third Angel pedal can put out, and the other pedals I've tried in their boutique series have all sounded fantastic, and looked even better.

inhuman666

Reaction score
The Pro Q is a great piece of gear!

Rocktron mAXE
Rocktron Pro GAP V2
Rocktron Pro Q
Rocktron Velocity 150

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
the rocktropn piranha was an amazing preamp. if rack gear ever becomes popular again they should definitely reissue that.

Always wondered what the voodoovalve was like

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I had like 4 of their distortion pedals that I liked quite a bit before I went for an amp head that had all of the gain I needed.

Berti_smb

Grindmachine
Reaction score
I have their Hush Super C rack version. It is great noise suppressor, in my opinion it works best in the loop of preamp/amp head.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I've owned a old model Velocity 300 for the longest time. Great power amp and loud as all hell.

The Piranha was an awesome pre-amp It didn't do a lot of sounds, but it the ones it did do were absolutely devastating.

Elric

Reaction score
I owned a Piranha for years and I tried and tried to get a decent sound out of that thing and it just frustrated the crap out of me. I am not denying that others may love it sincerely and get great sounds, but, as a long time rack guy, it was the most toneless overrated preamp I have ever heard for the tones I was looking for...

No, it was not broken and yes, I understand how to dial in a preamp and use a unit with an active EQ, etc. It just simply did not agree with me on any level. Completely glad I got rid of it. Made a profit on it, in fact, since it has had some hype for being rare/desirable.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rocktron is a cool company. I would like to try an old Chameleon sometime, I just find it amusing when people start talking about the Piranha in superlatives, since, for me, it was a complete bust.

skysc

Reaction score
Hey guy sorry for reviving an old thread , just didnt wanna start a new .

every review say the made in usa rocktron voodu valve (witchdoctor) is the best .

but they have a rocktron voodu valve online made in usa also . ive seen made in korea but now i found a online version made in usa .

is it as good as the witchdoctor version ?

anyone own one ??

WarMachine

Reaction score
I can't tell you much about the voodu as i've never used one, but from everywhere i've read they took the chameleon's place, and if that holds true, GEEET EEEET!!!! lol i love my chameleon online to pieces dude, it slays! If it is anything like the chameleon series was, the US made version will be the way to go. Reason being is the Korean version they dumbed down a lot of stuff on it, and that's not just from reviews online, i've owned both and the US version has much more tone shaping with pre and post eq settings. The Korean version just had the main EQ stack, but don't let that fool you; i could make that thing sound just as vicious! I say if its a good price, Korean or US, go for it! As far as dependability goes, i had the Korean made version for 7 years, just sold it to my rhythm guitarist so we could both run chameleon's in our rigs and its still just as good as the day i got it.

torchlord

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but just wanted to chime in. I came from a Pro Gap, Pro Q, Alesis Matica 500. I moved up to a Pirannha preamp. I eventually moved into a the tube amp world with a H&K Switchblade, and their Coreblade amps. I did wind up selling my Pirannha preamp, and got a pretty good resale price, but I still have my Intellifex, and Pro Q. I also went down the Axe FX Ultra path, I eventually got tired of it, but I still have It.

I've been doing a lot of messing with my tube amps, switching out preamp tubes, and power tubes the last few years, but it just seems like even when I get a sound I think I like the next day that feeling is gone. I decided yesterday to pull the old Pro Q out, and put it in my Coreblade Effects loop, to see if what happens. I soon realized it basically allowed me to fix the problems with the preamp, by allowing me to control the mid parameter better than I could with the Coreblade. It pretty much went from really thick mid sound that I couldn't tighten up, very easily, but the Pro Q allowed me to have that control.

I'm starting to think the hassle of tube amps just isn't worth it. I thought till the Pro Q /Coreblade experiment that I was good with the Coreblade, because it is pretty flexible with it's preamp, but after this experiment I think maybe the old gear had it all right, and that maybe I just took the wrong path. It also is getting pretty annoying trying to have a clean noise free signal. My amps seem to always need fixing, and I think I might just be done with that rabbit hole. Might take a loot at that single space Velocity 300, and find some preamp, that I haven't tried yet. :)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The Hush Super C that I owned was terrible. It had shoddy construction and was not transparent or adequate as a gate.
However, I do also have a MIDIMate controller that has served me well for about fifteen years. I cannot think of anything that would make me want to replace it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I had a Rocktron Piranha that ruled. More aggressive, tighter sounding Recto tone. I think mine had issues, though. Couldn't run the gain too high or boost it without it sounding like a literal fuzz pedal.

Latest posts

')