Opinions regarding string gauges?

• Thread starter Razorgrin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
I'm coming up to an eight-string from a six, which is currently tuned to drop C with a set of seven-string strings sans the high E (.013-.059). I've always played on very heavy strings - I replaced the .009-.042 set on my first guitar with a .013-.056 set the first time I changed strings - and I see that a lot of eights are strung with very light-gauge strings. However, I'm told that the longer scale of the eight I have en route (28.625") makes a pretty big difference in string tension and feel compared to my usual 25.5" scale; d'you think I ought to give the 9s a shot first, or just give in to my instinct and swap them immediately for something like .013-.080? I'll have the eight in drop E, but standard tuning up from there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aris_T

Reaction score
It won't hurt to try the .009 set first. Strings are the easiest thing to swap!

After all, string gauge is really objective and comes down to the feel every guitarist is comfortable with.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
That's more or less what I thought. Does change in scale really effect tension quite that much? All my guitars have had 25.5" scales; the only thing I've played with a longer scale is a bass.

cev

Trollhammaren!!
Reaction score
Roughly speaking, the difference between 25.5 and 28.625 is one gauge - ie, if you put on 9's, they'll feel like 10's, if you put on 10's they'll feel like 11's, etc.

agoz20

Here 4 the Gangbang
Reaction score
i play a lot of really heavy strings on all my guitars and honestly... i love how the 9's feel on my 28.6 guitar feels with them ( but ) i doooo recommend you throw a bigger string on your soon to be low E ( 74,76, 80 ) because you will hate the tension of the lower string in e without the change.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
...one gauge...
Cool. Thanks!

i play a lot of really heavy strings on all my guitars and honestly... i love how the 9's feel on my 28.6 guitar feels with them ( but ) i doooo recommend you throw a bigger string on your soon to be low E ( 74,76, 80 ) because you will hate the tension of the lower string in e without the change.
I've been thinking I should go to (at least) .074 based on what I'm reading so far; even at 28.625", most people say it's a little loose for the low E. (The tension on my 25.5" RG [.059, tuned down to C] is perfect.) I wonder if Kurt will throw a .074 or .076 on for me instead of the default .072.

troyguitar

Reaction score
What you've read so far is not necessarily what you need. I've had a .056 on my 27.5" scale 9-string tuned down as low as E and it works great. The thing actually sounds like a guitar instead of a bass :lol:

Just play it the way it is before you spend $$ on strings.

Tirell

Reaction score
If you go more than .10, even a half-tone bend will become hardly possible on that scale.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
If you go more than .10, even a half-tone bend will become hardly possible on that scale.
...meaning that the tension renders it unbendable, or that I'd have to bend halfway across my fretboard for even a half-tone?

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
I'd say the best route is to just give the stock strings a shot, and go from there. If they feel just a little floppy, go up a step or two. I went from 25.5 to 26.5 (much smaller of a jump than yours will be) and I just got a set of 10's and a set of 11's to try each one out.

Ironberry

Reaction score
Roughly speaking, the difference between 25.5 and 28.625 is one gauge - ie, if you put on 9's, they'll feel like 10's, if you put on 10's they'll feel like 11's, etc.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I typically play 10's in standard E and I can do minor 3rd-2 whole step bends on these. When I play my 8 string I find it VERY difficult to bend a whole step with 9's. This might be because my action is set lower than I'm used to on 6 strings, (Can't find that damned allen wrench) and I can't seem to get under the strings as well.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I typically play 10's in standard E and I can do minor 3rd-2 whole step bends on these.
I've got a guitar in drop-D with .012-.056 strings and I'm usually able to bend full steps, but I have to bend hard. I do have a floating trem, though, which will make that easier.

jbab

Reaction score
I use heavy strings on my 6 too, and the stocks strings (009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072) on my Agile 28.6" scale are so so. The 009 through 015 are ok, but when it comes to the wound strings it's a different deal. The 072 (tuned to F) is waaaaay too flubby for me, I've ordered a 080 last week but still haven't received it.

EDIT: I'll post back once I install it and try it out.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
I use heavy strings on my 6 too, and the stocks strings (009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072) on my Agile 28.6" scale are so so. The 009 through 015 are ok, but when it comes to the wound strings it's a different deal. The 072 (tuned to F) is waaaaay too flubby for me, I've ordered a 080 last week but still haven't received it.

EDIT: I'll post back once I install it and try it out.
I'll look forward to your review! (Of sorts.)

I hadn't even thought of that; I haven't had a plain 3rd string in...well, almost ever. In any event, I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks how I can handle the light strings.

Tirell

Reaction score
...meaning that the tension renders it unbendable, or that I'd have to bend halfway across my fretboard for even a half-tone?

I mean the tension
With a 10 set a can still bend for a tone after the 12th, but it takes some force (for me).

P.s. don't judge the gauges by the default strings on agiles (I guess that's what you're getting?), because they suck big time.

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
Jesus a .72 on a six seems insane, what are you tuned to? My low A on my 7 is a .72 and I know alot of 7 players would say that is overkill

Razorgrin

Reaction score
Jesus a .72 on a six seems insane, what are you tuned to? My low A on my 7 is a .72 and I know alot of 7 players would say that is overkill
I don't think anyone's using a .072 on a six; jbab's talking about his eight. The heaviest I've ever used is a .062 for drop B and I had to bore out my tuner a bit so it'd fit.

Edit: Well, unless it's a bari.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I've obsessed over string tension for a while, it's all personal preference really. Some people have stronger fingers and can handle bending tighter strings, etc. Yngwie uses a set of 8's tuned a half step down at 25.5" scale :) but he also uses progressive tension, meaning his high E is the lowest tension string and the tension gets progressively higher per string up to the low E as highest tensioned string.

It's probably best if you check out one of the string tension calculators either online or search here for one. Then enter your current 6 string gauges / scale to see where you're at tension wise. That will help you then enter your 8's gauges / scale and setup a nicely balanced set to match the tension of your 6.

')