Orange 2x12 - any advice? and a dilemma

RiffRaff

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know Orange makes great 4x12s but I was just wondering if people have had much experience with the 2x12s and their sound. I know the 4x12s sound great but I really want to hear opinions on the 2x12s. Do they sound warm, and give a 'big' sound? I'll also be playing gigs in small clubs, so will this cut it?

I've got the opportunity to buy either a orange 4x12 or I can buy a orange 2x12 and a POD X3 Live. I'm currently leaning toward the latter option (As I can start home recording then) but I just want to hear some more opinions from you guys as I respect what this community thinks in regards to 'Gear-whoredom' :lol:

I'm asking these questions as I won't be able to try them out and compare.

:cheers:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
generally: you jsut cant go wrong with orange cabs. i think the orange 212 are one of the best 212s available. but if it will sound good for YOU, only your ears can say that. ;)

what amp?

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Orange 2x12 to replace my Mesa 2x12 and what a difference. The Orange is so much better to me. The difference between the 4x12 to the 2x12 is noticable but not huge to me, so if you absolutely dont have to have the 4x12 you cant go wrong with the 2x12.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
the thing to take into account here: the orange 212 is not that much smaller then your average 412, IIRC.

it will sound just as good, you're just dealing with 2 less speakers and a bit less weight. a 112 combo will cut it at any gig worth playing - as the sound guy will mic you regardless.

i'd get the 212.

evil_chuck

Reaction score
the thing to take into account here: the orange 212 is not that much smaller then your average 412, IIRC.

it will sound just as good, you're just dealing with 2 less speakers and a bit less weight. a 112 combo will cut it at any gig worth playing - as the sound guy will mic you regardless.

i'd get the 212.

:agreed:

I have an orange 2x12, and it's loud enough for any gig I've ever done (and even louder than other 4x12 I've heard!!!!) AND is really an incredibile cab on its own.

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
Plenty Big, Amazing Sound, I used to have two one for home one for practice that if I needed the extra push I could run them in stereo which gives an even bigger sound. Definetly Worth the investment. + they look cool...whats not to like?

How is the Divinity? I have heard is a Recto Clone and I would love to get a review on it....

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
the size of the cabinet(s) and number of speakers does not dictate volume :)

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I'd go with what Budda said. Besides you will have a lot less to lug around.

My son plays a Blackmore into an Orange 2x12, and it sounds great.

Me, I have an EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12. An expensive boutique item, but I lucked into it real cheap.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
zug, if i've read the interweb right - an orange 212 isnt much smaller then say a marshall 412. you still get to use your muscles to move the thing :lol:

but since your son owns an orange 212, you can let us know the size in terms of a regular 212 combo.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
zug, if i've read the interweb right - an orange 212 isnt much smaller then say a marshall 412. you still get to use your muscles to move the thing :lol:

but since your son owns an orange 212, you can let us know the size in terms of a regular 212 combo.

Well, I just checked the Orange site, and it looks like they have a new, larger combo sized, open back 2x12. The one my son has is closed back. I don't have the dimensions handy, but while it is a few inches bigger than a comparable Avatar, it's still quite a bit smaller than a 4x12 - - - and most definetely a lot lighter.

thedownside

Reaction score
the closed back ppc 2x12 is 78cmx53cmx38cm (for you metrically impaired - 30.7x20.9x15) and 28kgs (61.6lbs)

i've been considering switching my live/band rig from a randall 4x12 to an orange 2x12, so this is an interesting thread for me

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
What about the Avatar 2x12 Orange Clone? Anyone compared an Avatar with the real mc coy?

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I like Avatar open back 2x12s. I haven't heard their closed back cabs. Hard to imagine they wouldn't be good.