Orange 4x12 Cab question.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying an Orange 412 and since it's a little heavy I'm considering putting wheels on it.
I've heard from a few people that the reason the Oranges don't have wheels on them is something to do with the bass transfer to the floor or something along the lines of that.

So what I'm asking is;

Could I put wheels on the Orange and then lay it down on its side so that it is touching the floor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering buying an Orange 412 and since it's a little heavy I'm considering putting wheels on it.
I've heard from a few people that the reason the Oranges don't have wheels on them is something to do with the bass transfer to the floor or something along the lines of that.

So what I'm asking is;

Could I put wheels on the Orange and then lay it down on its side so that it is touching the floor?

Yes you can, I do it with my Marshall MF400. But that's only because one of the wheels broke off :p

I would also like to add that I've played through a orange cab that's been modified with wheels and it still had a shit ton of bass.

I would suggest experimenting both wheels and ground, along with different eq'ing, to see what kind of difference you'll get. Document it. You may just prefer it with wheels. Who knows

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I'm buying the cab tomorrow morning and thought I'd better check before I purchased it haha.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
They actually "mount" to the stagesince the bottom is pretty unique with the skid. A lot of people attest their bass response to that bottom. Setting it on its side won't have the exact same effect.

pathos45

Reaction score
i made a 4x12 orange cab exact same mesurements and everything, i was gonna put wheels on it til i stuck the skids on the bottom it jsut made the world of a diffrence. If you want castors on it i say put them on the side or get the quick release ones and leave the skids on and make sure the baseplate on the casters is a smaller thickness than the wood skid. you def want to put use to the wood skids it helps make orange have that tone it has.

thepylestory

tunamelt
Reaction score
I bought a orange a month ago and its the last cab I will ever buy, I love it. I was worried about no casters aswell. I bought a live in road case from kent custom cases in buffalo ny, which is an awesome case, and I still love the sound of the orange.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I use a collapseable dolly for my Orange 4x12. No modification

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
A lot of touring bands get custom cases made for their 4x12's. Which means they have them permanently in the case, which has wheels. So, I don't think it really matters too much. Or like someone said just get a dolly! The bassist in one of my bands has a mesa 4x10 cab that weighs a shit ton and is a backache and a half to move. It also has know wheels, so a lot of the time we use a dolly and it makes it so much better. The only real bitch is if there are stairs.

Reaction score
A lot of touring bands get custom cases made for their 4x12's. Which means they have them permanently in the case, which has wheels. So, I don't think it really matters too much. Or like someone said just get a dolly! The bassist in one of my bands has a mesa 4x10 cab that weighs a shit ton and is a backache and a half to move. It also has know wheels, so a lot of the time we use a dolly and it makes it so much better. The only real bitch is if there are stairs.

My house has about 6 different sets of stairs haha. I've got a little trolley I use for my rack case, guess i'll just use that and see how it goes.

pathos45

Reaction score
oh tim i feel yeah my house is just stacked with fuckin stairs, try carrying 4 cabs 2 are based off the orange and 2 are based off vaders after that i feel like i need surgery...that or i feel like im superman and try and do more and then end up being out for a couple of days lol.

Moltar

Reaction score
Any 4x12 cab I have ever tried I have done comparisons with the castors on and off. For ME personally they all sounded infinitely better with the castors ON. Being right on the floor, and even a concrete floor in most of these cases, sounded awful. Totally boomy and undefined. Needed huge treble to compensate even with barely and bass from the amp... but even with that it was terrible.

Just my opinion. I would caster that orange bitch.

Reaction score
I think I might hold off putting wheels on it and just use a trolley to move it around. I got it in and out of the car pretty easily. Thanks for all your input.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i bought something like this, for 10,- bucks in the local DIY store for my cab. works perfectly.

2590260517_b60b066f72.jpg

Reaction score
i bought something like this, for 10,- bucks in the local DIY store for my cab. works perfectly.

2590260517_b60b066f72.jpg

My father made me something similar to that for one of my practice amps to slide it under a desk. I might look into making something similar.

for those interested here's my current setup.

27969710150307167275166.jpg

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Ah, the "ss.org-sepcial"! :D

Badass rig mate! :yesway:

EDIT: are you still using the GT8 or does it work as midi-controller only?

')