Orange cab, 2x12 now or 4x12 later?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting an Orange 2 x 12 pretty soon. When I tried it out with a 5150III I was amazed. The volume 'spread' is great and the low end still holds tight.

squid-boy

Reaction score
I googled the cab (how I ended up back on SS.org) because I had ordered one earlier today. Funny thing is, I ordered it at R&R Music in Vancouver from muffgoat!

crush_taylor

Reaction score
No idea, I guess that is what I am asking. I could really get away with a power amp and some speakers at the moment, for the time being all I will use it for is practice. But in the future that will change and I prefer to buy good gear the first time rather than spending less now and having to sell and upgrade later.

This is the reason I am going for a orange cab, I can get other cabs used here for a lot less money, but I don't know if they are any good. My reason for going for an orange is because they have such a good reputation here, personally I hate the colour but you don't buy a cab for it's colour.

I think the 2x12 will be enough for a long time for me as it will not leave the house for a while, also I will be playing at very low volumes for a while but one day I will want to upgrade. On one hand the 2x12 is more practical because of size, on the other the 4x12 will never need upgrading and will most likely be easier to sell if I ever decide to. I guess the main thing that will determine the decision is will the 2x12 sound every bit as good as the 4x12 or is the 4x12 superior.

I'd get a 212 - they mic you at gigs, and you'll still be able to hear yourself. if you get a 212 now, you can buy another 212 later. if you buy a 412 now, you'll probably sell it down the line to get a 212 :p

this is pretty much the exact same situation I found myself in. I'm sick of having "stepping stone" gear and decided to upgrade my shit with the cab first. I ended up getting an Orange PPC212 this december because as of right now, it's mostly for home/practice use. Let me tell you, it has balls and lots of tightness in the low end. (keep in mind I don't have much experience with high end stuff yet...) I also intend to get another PPC212 in the future (yes I know, it's cheaper to get the 4x12 in the long run) if I need to gig with it... or I may get a second one just to run in stereo...

tl;dr version...I don't think you'll regret buying a 2x12 orange cab.

Reaction score
I'm actually having this same problem! :lol: For me the trouble is I don't want to wait, I want a new cab NOW. So i'm leaning toward the 2x12, but I know down the road I'm gonna want to sell it and get a 4x12. I'm to damn impatient.

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
Why would you buy from the US for $950 when you can get orange 2x12s for $900 new locally?

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
I'm actually having this same problem! :lol: For me the trouble is I don't want to wait, I want a new cab NOW. So i'm leaning toward the 2x12, but I know down the road I'm gonna want to sell it and get a 4x12. I'm to damn impatient.

Just do what I'm doing.

I'm gona get a 212, and then a 412 late, and then I'll just stack the 412 on top of the 212, so it will be like a 3/4 stack.

I'm getting avatar cabs though. You should check them out. They're constructed almost identically, and they're much cheaper.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
I got an Orange 2x12 for son#2, and he's always liked it. Built like a brick shit house. Big and heavy for a 2x12. He's gone to an Axe-Fx though...

crush_taylor

Reaction score
I got an Orange 2x12 for son#2, and he's always liked it. Built like a brick shit house. Big and heavy for a 2x12. He's gone to an Axe-Fx though...

Interesting. I'm thinking of going this route (already have the ppc212). What power amp is he using?

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm thinking of going this route (already have the ppc212). What power amp is he using?

Well first he had an Engl Blackmore, then a Framus Dragon, and now Axe-Fx with a Carvin ss 1000 watt power amp. It's always sounded real good.

MatthewK

Reaction score
You should do what I did, get a PPC412 for the the price of a PPC212. :cool:

Latest posts

')