Orange Dark Terror

• Thread starter andyjanson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andyjanson

Reaction score
I bought a Dark Terror back in October last year after being wowed when i tried it instore through an expensive Marshall 4X12. It was to be my first head/cab set up as well as my first tube amp :hbang: Over the next few days i got an Orange PPC212 cab - the open backed one - and found it to be be even better sounding than the Marshall :yesway:

When i bought it i had intended to use it at gigs and for rehearsing with my band - we play what i guess you could label as a cross between Periphery and Rise to Remain. However i found it wasnt cutting it. It lacked the tightness and clarity i required. I began feeling slightly let down - im not sure why i thought an Orange would be the right amp for the job :lol:

However, being a fan of all kinds of music, i began to use the amp for 'old school metal'; playing covers of maiden, sabbath etc and suddenly i got it. This is a superb amp. I can't get enough of it. For 70's/80's metal, this thing absolutely kills. As a youngster used to playing through modelling amps and software sims, to suddenly 'get' the fuss about tube amps was a revelation. Its also great at blues, modern rock, and i guess stoner metal; in short, anything but a tight, focused modern sound.

The shape knob is a really cool feature - i'll admit to being slightly sceptical about the lack of a 3 band eq - but most of the time you can dial in the sound you're looking for. For example, with the shape knob set at about 11 o'clock you can get real close to a piece of mind era Maiden tone. At about 2 o'clock is a more modern metalcore tonality. And of course at the far right you've got your scooped sounds - but i don't use these - love my mids :shred:

Its also plenty loud for my uses - that is to say rehearsing in a loud 5 piece metal band. I haven't gigged it, but im confident it would stand up to smaller gigs, and of course if you mic it you can play anywhere.

Overall im definately impressed with this amp - ultra simple and portable, this is an amp for players rather than tweakers. Its not quite what i was looking for when i bought it; if you are looking for modern metal tones than i would look elsewhere. I havent tried boosting with an OD, or an EQ in the loop yet - but if you do want that kind of sound there are far better equipped amps out there that'll do a better job straight out the box, like they should. However although it won't 'djent', if you dabble in pretty much anything but, there is a lot of fun to be had here :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dChAsE77

Poon Twang
Reaction score
I have this amp, and have tried matching the old Periphery pedal chain on it. Definitely get a nice djent off of it, but it really takes an eq to get the mids where you need for that. Guitar-Compressor-NS-OD-EQ-NS-Amp-Loop-NS-EndLoop-Cab. Works for me! Too loud to practice in an apartment and get the overdriven tube tones... great and portable though. Leaves enough space on top of my 2x12 cab for the above pedal chain.

Damus

Low B for better =D
Reaction score
I was once an owner of this amp, fuse blew at the back once but they are nice and put a spare inside the amp which makes life easy!
This amp doesnt quite go loud enough for band prac (I am referring to heavy metal, its a dark terror...)
But as for bedroom prac/recording its a brilliant little tube amp period.

Lava Joe

Reaction score
The Dark Terror is awesome. It is honestly probably one of the most brutal little amps ever. Not sure about the Mini Rec on the loose now, but the DT was sick when I had it.

I agree that it can do the whole djent thing, but you really need an EQ and noise gate...but that's literally 80% of any djent tone right there. With proper EQ'ing, you really only need to run the gain on this little guy from 12 o'clock to 4 at the most. I ran it through a Mesa 4x12 and also an Orange 2x12 is it was honestly suprising me with the clarity with the EQ and all that.

As a raw tube amp though, this thing brought a nice loose rock tone that is perfect for alternative, maybe some forms of metal, but not your all out "modern" metal as most of the stuff is now played with rigs too complicated for me to care for. But to each his own.

This amp is gig worthy, too. It was near about practice worthy with a really hard hitting metal drummer, but it fell just a little short. I never tried it truly with the 4x12 in practice, but that would be something to check into.

All in all, it was awesome, and so insanely portable, too. You will appreciate not lugging around huge high wattage heads!

Matx

Ninja
Reaction score
It's cool that this one's got a loop too. That's what I didn't like about the tiny terror

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Love this amp, it is a bit pricey considering it is a cathode bias (Cannot set your own bias) but it is fun. I have tried many NOS, and modern day tubes in here and they all responded nicely. The amp does sound a bit tighter for modern stuff if you put a MaxonOD808 in front of it, crank the balance and kill the drive. Tightens it up quite a bit. The maxon really brings out that palm mute thing you need outa this amp. Really gritty, old school sounding awesome, and the tone handles super low tunings pretty good. If this thing had a clean channel it would be amazing.

')