Orange gas!!!!

• Thread starter goatLuke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
So for some reason I am having a terrible bout of orange gas!!!!! I am really thinking about unloading a few pieces of gear and picking up a orange th100 head. My question to the sso.org community is has anyone used one of these heads in a high gain band context? I want to use it live in a band context playing in a 2 guitar all original band. We have been called everything from thrash to death to metalcore. The other guitar player is playing a modded marshall dsl 100. I am currently running a 6505+ but am not fully satisfied with it and feel it to be a little thin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WesleyG

Reaction score
Go on youtube and check out some vids by the band A Bullet For Pretty Boy, their lead and rhythm used an Orange Rockerverb 100 on most of the Revisions:Revise album. They're about to come out with a new album as well that used that head for almost the whole thing. I know that's not the amp you're asking about, but the one you're asking about has even a little more gain on tap than the Rocker, so it might be worth it to just give it a listen.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
Personal experience has been that Oranges are awesome in a live context. My first experience with them was meh.. BUT I wasnt playing the right amp for my style. They are amazing live and I think thats where they really excel. Big, full, awesome.

EDIT: For science I've used: Rockerverb 50 and 100, AD30 (love...it) in conjunction with a TH30 (also loved it), and i got to record with a Thunderverb 200 which was soooo much fun.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys. I am thinking for the price I'm gonna try 1 out. Not sure why I all of a sudden am gassing so hard for this head :scratch:. Any more feedback would be much appreciated.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
thanks guys. I am thinking for the price I'm gonna try 1 out. Not sure why I all of a sudden am gassing so hard for this head :scratch:. Any more feedback would be much appreciated.

I was gassing HARD for a Rockerverb when I first started getting into Mastodon. I think Orange makes some pretty badass amps for metal, even though they werent totally designed for it:lol:

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I jammed through a Rockerverb 50 combo last week for the first time. Jesus... I do want by all means.

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
yah this all started cause I went in to test out a used dual rec and the manager had me plug into a th30 combo and I loved it. But just want that little shove over the edge to go ahead and pick one up. I guess it worked I am listing a marshall 4x12 and a 2 head,4 rack space, road case on craigslist right now.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
had a TH30...

the amp was not tight sounding at all and is some what fuzzy sounding

for modern stuff imho th100 is a no

I've heard the rockerverb isn't bad

but, if I were you, I would save for a decent engl! :yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Go try one, especially since there's no foundation.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
had a TH30...

the amp was not tight sounding at all and is some what fuzzy sounding

for modern stuff imho th100 is a no

I've heard the rockerverb isn't bad

but, if I were you, I would save for a decent engl! :yesway:
Oranges need a little tweaking to get a tight sound. They are also a bit famous for being a little fuzzy, hence their popularity among stoner, sludge and doom bands. Thats not to say they cant get really awesome. Jim Root uses oranges, tell him hes not a tight player or a modern one.

Engls couldnt be further from what an Orange is.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
When i went to a local store to ask about amps I told them I eanted something with good low end and thatsounds massive and thick but also tight enough to have good clarity. The 2 amps he suggested?

Mesa dual rectifer

And an orange rockerverb.

Played the recto and Found out Im deff a recto guy but never got around to the orange......

Theyre both very expensive but atleast mesas are a dime a dozen used here in canada :)

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
thanks again everyone. I would try one and have tried the th30 combo but my local gc doesn't stock the 100 and I asked them today if they can get it and they said they can but it will not be until end of april due to backorders. So in the meantime I'm moving some gear and gonna see what happens. Keep the responses coming.

The only thing I am not liking is the usage of the term fuzzy. I want something very warm, thick and smooth but with enough saturation to still cut into the mix. I am hoping this will work nicely.

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
I like orange for metal.

that band makes a good use of them

not sure if they recorded with oranges tho but live it was sounding astonishing, like really awsome.

A friend of mine also play in a metalcore band with excellent results with an orange ofcourse.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
As of right now i only own a crush, but ive played on plenty, and i have to say even though they are expensive, you gotta have one man. you wont regret buying one. ASAP is best.

Interloper

Reaction score
I owned a Rockerverb 100 for about 3 years and only just sold it because I'm not playing in bands anymore and have a kid on the way and blah blah blah. I never had a single complaint and it easily cut through any mix. Thunderous low end, and not the least bit fizzy sounding. Way better than the Thunderverb if you are looking for a tight metal tone. Clean channel was perfect too. If I ever start playing in a band again, I'll probably pick another one up.

unclejemima218

190 Proof
Reaction score
wasn't/isn't After the Burial endorsed by them? their tone, while it may not be the epitome of heavenly to some, sounded pretty damn good to me, at least on Rareform.

Manhell

Reaction score
My band also recorded with a Thunderverb 200, 8 strings with EMG's,(that was the "bad" thing) and it sounded really good, but the mixing was kind of bad so it wouldn't show much,
But if you want to hear here it is;

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
Oranges need a little tweaking to get a tight sound. They are also a bit famous for being a little fuzzy, hence their popularity among stoner, sludge and doom bands. Thats not to say they cant get really awesome. Jim Root uses oranges, tell him hes not a tight player or a modern one.

Engls couldnt be further from what an Orange is.

I agree that the rockerverb can get fairly tight on it's own... but not any of the TH series without a boost and some serious eq in the loop

it's prbably because of that "shape" control. it's a real bugger, thought it was cool at first but it really annoyed me.

it really depends on what you want...

Orange didn't cut it for me, I just didn't like the flavour or the feel, but they are still awesome!!!

good luck! :yesway:

Latest posts

')