Orange or 15 opinions

• Thread starter TremontiFan16
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TremontiFan16

Tyler Russell
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Been looking at buying a new amp,and the or 15 seems like it's up my alley but I'm fighting myself on it because there is no where I can play one in a 100 mile radius.

Terms of styles, I play a lot like Mastodon,Sylosis,Opeth,Deftones,All the way up to KSE

My Randall rd20 is alright, I just feel like it's not my thing. I think it just sounds bland...I don't know if I'm keeping it.

Budget is 500$, or around 750 if I sell the randall,if ya'll suggest something else.

Thanks for the help,just wanted to get moready opinions, I have the or15 used in my GC cart and am fighting myself hard on it:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fryderyczek

Hates UG, the ....s
Reaction score
Check out a PEavey 6505(You can find modded 60 watt combos into heads). Or wait for the Mini head and see how that compares to the big one.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Don't get the OR15. It's not a modern amp. It's for either vintage tones or fuzzy stoner/doom stuff. Personally wasn't a fan of any other Terrors for modern stuff either. ...., I thought the CR120 was the best for modern stuff. :lol:

Find a used EVH 5153 50w or wait a few weeks for the upcoming Peavey 6505MH. Or get a Jet City JCA22H with a boost or a Laney IRT15(normal or studio).

He won't be able to get cleans though...

The Dark Terror an OR15 are far from clean amps, too. :lol:

cip 123

Reaction score
Don't get the OR15. It's not a modern amp. It's for either vintage tones or fuzzy stoner/doom stuff. Personally wasn't a fan of any other Terrors for modern stuff either. ...., I thought the CR120 was the best for modern stuff.

The Dark Terror an OR15 are far from clean amps, too. :lol:

I've got an OR15 and it is absolutely not just for vintage/fuzzy stuff. Yes you can do that if you dial it in but if you cut the bass back push the mids, you can get a pretty sweet modern metal tone.

The Dark Terror has more gain and would be better suited towards metal, along with the Jim Root model if you want to look at that.

The OR15 is based and designed to be a throwback to old orange amps but it can definitely pull off modern tones thats what i use it for 90% of the time.

It is single channel though so if you're wanting clean you need to be good with your volume control on your guitar or dial the gain back and turn the amp volume up, bit of a pain but its cleans are very nice.

Also the CR120, isn't tube I believe which of course isn't a problem I'd just personally prefer tube.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Different tastes, but I just felt the OR15 had too loose of a low end and had no definition. Not good enough for fast chuggy riffing like KsE and ESPECIALLY not for Sylosis. The Jim Root terror would be better, but I still think the 6505MH, JCA22H, or 5153 mini would be the best bets.

TremontiFan16

Tyler Russell
Reaction score
Different tastes, but I just felt the OR15 had too loose of a low end and had no definition. Not good enough for fast chuggy riffing like KsE and ESPECIALLY not for Sylosis. The Jim Root terror would be better, but I still think the 6505MH, JCA22H, or 5153 mini would be the best bets.

Interesting...Josh from Sylosis uses a jcm800 and he pulls off that tone
I'm probably gunnar keep the rd20 so that should cover anything heavier

cip 123

Reaction score

Nothing a bit of EQ'ing can't fix. I used to have an EMG'd guitar and I got a pretty nice KSE tone through it. I do agree on the loose bottom end but you've just got to control it with your EQ.

That being said I do still agree, if you're just going all out metal, like KSE Sylosis etc. get the Dark Terror/Jim Root Terror or something else if you increase your budget.

cip 123

Reaction score
Also the guys from KSE use Laney Lionhearts, so check those out, lots of gain plenty for metal.

Josh from Sylosis uses Marshall, so check them out and also Blackstar as they're ex-Marshall engineers.

cip 123

Reaction score
Interesting...Josh from Sylosis uses a jcm800 and he pulls off that tone
I'm probably gunnar keep the rd20 so that should cover anything heavier

Josh plays Modded JCM's and JMP's so they bass is tighter.

Also look in to the Orange TH30, you can pick them up used for very good prices(At least in the UK) and Josh did a demo on his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTb513sXno

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also the guys from KSE use Laney Lionhearts, so check those out, lots of gain plenty for metal.

Josh from Sylosis uses Marshall, so check them out and also Blackstar as they're ex-Marshall engineers.

Ironhearts, actually. and Laney does make some low-wattage Ironhearts.

Also, Blackstars have a different flavor compared to Marshall. A DSL can sound pretty good, though. If he had the cash, I'd say go for a JVM, because that amp kills for metal.

cip 123

Reaction score
Ah yea Ironhearts is what I meant cheers.

Can't Blackstars go between US and UK sort of styles with some function? can't remember haven't played one in a while.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They can, but I didn't find the HT I tried sounded like the DSL or JVM. Had it's own thing going on.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Blackstar HT, Laney Ironheart, or 6505mh if you want to wait a bit. The 5153 mini would be great as well if you can sell the Randall and find a good deal :)

EDIT: some of the DSL models would be good for you too, but I'm not sure what's available other than the 40 watt combo and 100 watt head.