Orange Pedalbaby or Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 or ...

• Thread starter jwiltz2072
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwiltz2072

Reaction score
Looking for a poweramp solution to run my Pod X3 Live into with a 2x12 Recto cab for home practice or small gigs. I am currently running it through my Mesa Mark IV power section temporarily to dial in tones.

I am open to any/all options up to about $600 US. So far the Powerstage is very high on the list because of the size of the unit but not sure how it plays with these preamp pedals.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Are used Crate Powerblocks still a thing. Not quite a pedalboard-size amp, but reliable, LOUD, and light.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a poweramp solution to run my Pod X3 Live into with a 2x12 Recto cab for home practice or small gigs. I am currently running it through my Mesa Mark IV power section temporarily to dial in tones.

I am open to any/all options up to about $600 US. So far the Powerstage is very high on the list because of the size of the unit but not sure how it plays with these preamp pedals.

Thanks in advance!

Well the 170 and 700 were designed to provide power for preamp pedals, so I'm guessing fine? :lol:.

Between the two you have listed, the question is more do you want it mounted on your board or in a rack?

I was going to get the pedal baby, but I'm opting for the 700 to also run a bass rig with a cab. One rack, one guitar cab, one bass cab, one controller and tons of fun.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
At one time or another I've actually used all of the options mentioned in this thread (i.e. PS 170, PS 700, Orange Pedal Baby, & Crate Powerblock).

For running something like a POD X3 Live, honestly I think your best bet is the Powerstage 170 or 700. The sound is very clean, transparent, and quite loud.
For doing playing at home or small gigs, honestly the 170 will be more than adequate for your needs. Plus it's light and extremely portable.
The Pedal baby from Orange is cool too, but it's a bit larger and to my ears doesn't quite translate the sound as transparently as the Duncan but still a cool amp.
I've run both preamp gain stage style pedals through the 170 as well as a Line 6 POD HD500, performed great with both.

The Crate Powerblock was really cool, I still have mine and keep it in my bag as a "just in case of emergencies" backup! But I found it will definitely color your tone
much more than the Duncan amps or the Pedal Baby. The Powerblock worked great with some pedals but just didn't really cut it when running something like the POD through it.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The Crate Powerblock was really cool, I still have mine and keep it in my bag as a "just in case of emergencies" backup! But I found it will definitely color your tone
much more than the Duncan amps or the Pedal Baby. The Powerblock worked great with some pedals but just didn't really cut it when running something like the POD through it.
Running a modeler into the FX return of the Powerblock colored the tone? Can't say I noticed a difference the sound between that and a QSC power amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Running a modeler into the FX return of the Powerblock colored the tone? Can't say I noticed a difference the sound between that and a QSC power amp.

It's an old model from a dead company. It wont be the same as pro audio or today's options.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
The Powerstage is designed to be used with preamp pedals and full modelers. It is tiny, and really loud if you want it to be. I'd say that's the one.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a class D power amp that completely bypasses the preamp if you go into the FX return.

You dont think the parts on a affordable-at-the-time 10+ year old power amp are worse than a 2018 model from a higher end company?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
You dont think the parts on a affordable-at-the-time 10+ year old power amp are worse than a 2018 model from a higher end company?
I was literally running it side-by-side with a <2 year old QSC power amp and there was no audible difference other than the QSC could get loud enough to destroy my cab. I'm not arguing whether or not components are better (and I honestly have no idea, I'm no engineer, for all I know, those SD amps have $65 Dayton audio amps inside them) but I know that a PB is much cheaper used than any of the other options and they're built like tanks and I have no experience with using the FX loop input causing tonal differences.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate your research :yesway:

Elric

Reaction score
The power block had a reputation for unreliability even when it was new. With budget of $600 get something new that doesn’t potentially have issues. The PS170 sounds perfect for you, OP.

Last edited:

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've tried both and now own the pedal baby. Pedal baby sounds sweeter when using my headrush gigboard. The only thing is, with the pedal baby is I wish it was stereo.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
How many ohms does Your cab have? PS170 is pumping 170 watts into 4 ohms. 85 watts at 8 ohms... and so on...

Latest posts

')