Orange PPC412 13ply..how much of a difference from the old 18ply?

matttttYCE

Reaction score
I've tried searching a few times and haven't really found much on this. Recently, I stumbled across a thread where someone said the current 13ply versions aren't quite worth the cash anymore...

So does anyone here have one of the newer 13ply Orange 4x12s? Or better yet, anyone had experience with both older and newer versions?

I'm trying to gauge how much of a difference this REALLY makes in the cab construction, sound, etc. Seems to me like simply having thicker plies, with the same overall thickness, wouldn't make much of a difference at all. Am I wrong in thinking that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with this, but my instincts tell me that the older 18ply Orange 412 would be denser in the low end, and possibly thicker in the midrange.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest I think it's just the "keep things the same" crowd overreacting, as they usually do. If the relative thickness, mass, density, and weight are the same (or ridiculously close) then in theory there shouldn't bee too noticeable of a difference. At least one which couldn't be EQ'd out of the equation.

I also feel that the older "18 ply crowd" wants to add "value" to their cabs. Kinda in the way that those who extend the value of their instruments by saying they're "rare".

There are a couple of good Orange dealers within reasonable driving distance from me. I'll ask if they have any incoming newer PPC412's, as I know they have the older ones. I'll report back if I find anything. :yesway:

matttttYCE

Reaction score
Never really thought about that, but that does make sense! Thanks Max! Oh and if you check that out, would you mind asking how much they are selling the cabs for? I know some places have a bit better deal than others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't mention it bro.

I have off on Tuesday, so I'll head down to Boogie Music and AZ Guitar. I think there's another shop too, though I think it's about half an hour south on I-17.

If you're seriously in the market I think AZG has a blemished/floor model PPC412, I want to say it was going for $899.99, though I haven't been there in a few months, not 100% on the model either.

I'll get back to you Tuesday man, if anything. :hbang:

matttttYCE

Reaction score
Sweet, but shit don't go on down to those places on account of little old me. I could go down and check em out for myself sometime soon. That'd be a pretty sweet deal for one of those though!

And right now I'm in the process of getting rid of my old gear that I don't use anymore. After that I'll have enough to get either an Orange, Mesa, or Vader 4x12. In that order are what I'm considering. But of course I'll be going down to one of those shops to try out an Orange as the very first thing I do when I have the cash.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sweet, but shit don't go on down to those places on account of little old me. I could go down and check em out for myself sometime soon. That'd be a pretty sweet deal for one of those though!

And right now I'm in the process of getting rid of my old gear that I don't use anymore. After that I'll have enough to get either an Orange, Mesa, or Vader 4x12. In that order are what I'm considering. But of course I'll be going down to one of those shops to try out an Orange as the very first thing I do when I have the cash.

I want to see if they still have a few used amps that I was looking at. Plus, I love playing and trying out gear. :)

Reaction score
It's kinda like those idiots who feel the need to say "block letter" after they say they own a Peavey 5150..it's the same damn thing as the "signature" and 6505....stop trying to add extra value to make it seem as if you have something special that others can't easily get.

')