Orange

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I did some searching, but I couldn't find answers to my questions. Basically, while I do dig the shit out of my Mesa cab, much more so than I ever did my Marshall, I find myself curious about other cabs, namely Orange. I played through a rockerverb 100 and a PPC412 cab like 5 years ago, so while I have had personal experience with them, its been so long, and pretty much everything from my tastes to my playing style have changed so dramatically. I've switched to the Axe Fx rig, thus creating the largest gear turnover in my playing career, and I got to thinking that maybe there's better out there than what I have in my Mesa. I'm trying to coordinate a way to try out the Orange before I buy one (so if any of you D/FW guys wanna help a brother out, lemme know), but until then, here are some questions.

1. Orange describes their cabs as having a unique 'skid' design to help acoustically couple their cabinets to the stage to provide a tighter bass response and full range definition. Now, I'm a guy who wants to keep their gear protected, and thus, I want to throw it in a live in case as soon as humanly possible. If I do that, will I lose that tightness I'm expecting from the Orange, or will it not make that much of a difference?

2. Is the Orange going to be a big enough improvement to warrant getting rid of the Mesa? From an aesthetic standpoint, I definitely prefer the Orange, and they get rave reviews pretty much everywhere, so its got me thinking. I play thrash/ death metal, and the type of tone I'm goin for is in the vain of All Shall Perish.

I had more questions when I set out to make this post, but they suddenly vanished. So, Orange owners and enthusiasts, school me!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
I can't comment on Orange cabs, but I should tell you that this guy who works at our local Boogie dealer has a matched Stiletto head and I think a Stiletto 2x12 for sale (which to my knowledge from a size standpoint is similar to Orange - smaller and tighter than a Recto cab). They're in a delicious Orange/Wheat custom finish, it looks just like Orange gear. Very sexy and I think he'll sell them separately. If you or anyone are interested I can get you photos and contact info.

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
Matt, there is a local music shop called "Dave Andersen's Zoo music" in Garland TX that has a shit ton of Orange cabs and products.

If you have this weekend off, we should go over there. I'll bring my vader 2x12 too since you wanted to try it.

zoo music tx - Google Maps

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Here's my two cents.

I've owned both a Mesa Recto 4x12 and TWO Orange 4x12's.

I still own the Mesa, don't own either of the Oranges.

I still have the Mesa because the sound dispersion is far better, it's brighter, less muffled sounding and far easier to move around.
Don't get me wrong, the Orange is a great cab...but not for the price they command.
TO ME, it sounded WAY too dark until you got right in front of it, then it became harsh, you couldn't hear anything unless you were standing infront of it, I actually found it looser then my Mesa, and I never noticed a difference with the skids.

I'd advise you to really try one, maybe borrow one from a friend.

Don't get caught into the hype just because a lot of big figures around here use them.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Also, you could order an Avatar Vintage 412 for less $$ and pretty much get the same cab.

minusthemonkey

Reaction score
Personally, I like them. They work well for what I'm going for. They are also overly expensive, are a pain in the ass to move around, and I didn't find it significantly better than a Mesa cab.

On the other hand, the new G12K loaded ones are supposed to be fucking awesome. Haven't played through one, but I've yet to play through a cab loaded with those that didn't sound amazing, so I can only guess that the G12Ks will actually make an Orange cab worth the premium.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You could not pay for the made in england/imported factor, and buy something made in north america for less:

and load it with G12K's :yesway:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
i have the slanted orange 4x12. if the mesa 4x12 weren't almost 50% more expensive than the orange here in germany, i would have gotten the mesa instead. the orange is a great cab for it's value, but it's fucking heavy and very inconventient to move around since it has no casters. personally, i'd get a mesa, bogner or diezel 4x12 if i were in the market for a 4x12 right now

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Dave and I are going to hit Zoo on Saturday and compare/contrast my Mesa, his Vader and the Oranges they have in stock. Thanks for the opinions guys. Keep em comin! :metal:

You could not pay for the made in england/imported factor, and buy something made in north america for less:

and load it with G12K's :yesway:

This intrigues me. I really haven't heard much about them, but the little I've heard is good. Those prices just seem too good to be true! If those things really are the shit, I may just grab one with the V30s and another loaded with G12Ks (which I've never tried). Someone school me on G12Ks!

minusthemonkey

Reaction score
G12K100s are supposed to be a very modern speaker. Heavy as dark matter bottom end, solid mid-range, and very, very tight high end. I think they favour higher gain tones, personally, although slightly gritty cleans bring out a lot of warmth. The bottom end is really where the charm lies in these, I think. It's absolutely brutal.

Rivera did a comparison of various speakers a while back, someone made a thread of it here somewhere, but I'll just embed the vid here:

And a vid of some dude with Diezel Herbert demoing the speakers:

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Man those G12K100s sound pretty beast. Significantly tighter and fuller sound than the V30s I'm currently using. If I could get my hands on the Black Orange cab with those, I'd be stoked. Outside the Avatars, which I am considering, what other cabs come stock with those? I really like the idea of a sealed back, front loaded cab with G12K100s. Virgin tight, I tell you.

JerkyChid

Beef jerky kid
Reaction score
Man those G12K100s sound pretty beast. Significantly tighter and fuller sound than the V30s I'm currently using. If I could get my hands on the Black Orange cab with those, I'd be stoked. Outside the Avatars, which I am considering, what other cabs come stock with those? I really like the idea of a sealed back, front loaded cab with G12K100s. Virgin tight, I tell you.

I have an Avatar contemp. 2x12 with K100s and it is amazing. I think Avatar is a great brand and you should really consider them, they are also very helpful when talking to them. The only thing that might bother somebody would be that they use little foot pegs instead of casters.

On what cabs come stock with them, the only thing I can remember at the moment is Mick Thomson's signature Rivera but I think those were discontinued

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score

HAND MADE SPEAKER CABINETS

America's answer to the Orange cabs. :) I'm pretty certain you can get them with whatever speakers you want as well.

Almighty Cabinets

Or you could do it up Black Dahlia Murder style...

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
So Dave and I hit the Zoo Music in Garland today, and those Orange cabs were pretty damn sweet. I really should've brought the Axe Fx rig, but its heavy and I was being lazy. I tried out the PPC412 HP8 which I believe is their new offering with the G12k100s, no? If it is, it was a great deal tighter than the other Orange cab there, and when we cranked the Thunderverb head, it really shined. I need to find somebody locally with one who will let me A/B it next to my Mesa. I did that today with Dave's Vader and the Mesa absolutely crushed it, so I can cross Vader off the list.

So any of you who are in the D/FW area with Orange cabs, hit me up!

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I'll be swapping my Mesa for a new 4x12. Here's a hint

orange.jpg