"Orpheus" build thread - danish luthier (pic fix now)

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
Finally I get to do a build thread! While the project is only slowly progressing, I will share with you, what I have.

The guitar is named Orpheus and designed by myself, with inspiration from different brands. The builder can be found here: JEH Guitars: Guitarbygning til rimelige priser - Home (the site is in Danish, but pictures speak for themselves). He build my other guitar, Íkarus.

The specs are as follows:

# strings: 7
Headstock: custom reverse 3+4, angled 14 *
Scale: 25.5" Fretboard: macassar ebony 12-16" compund radius
Neck: 3 pc Set-thru wenge/kauri
Body: 2pc ancient kauri
Body Shape: Modified super-strat
Body finish: Natural gloss
Body binding: Flamed maple
Top: bookmatched bubinga, 16-0-16" radius
Neck finish: oiled neck binding: flamed maple
Truss rod cov: Wooden with "JEH" inlay Headstock logo: MOP (logo to be decided later)
Headstock inlay: Backside of headstock: a small heart in MOP
headstock binding: flamed maple
Side dots: Black
Hardware color: gold
Control knobs: 1 vol, 1 tone, recessed
Switch: 5-way Jackstick: recessed
Pickups: BKP Black dog(b) BKP Black dog (n)
Pickup rings: none (direct mounted pups)
Strap locks: Dunlop flushmounted Locking
Frets: Macassar ebony Jescar EVO frets 5710 (FW57110-EVO)
Scalloped 15-24
Tuners: Hipshot locking
Bridge: OFR 7 string
Nut: locking nut

So...that side, here are the first progress pics =)

43%20%281%29.jpg
431.jpg
433.jpg
434.jpg
43_3d.jpg

43%20%283%29.jpg
43%20%284%29.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
The locking tuners do make for quicker re-strings.

I prefer to have locking tuners when I re-string my guitar. It's just easier. Even if I do have a floating trem, it's nice to just lock the string into place =) (It helps me get a tighter string wind)

- On a side note, the pictures should work now. My apologies!

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Is that the kauri body? (it doesn't look like bubinga).
If yes, please tell me why you're hiding behind a top (even if it's bubinga). So, I'll ask you to send it to me and I will send you back a wood that can be hidden without remorse. :D

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
Is that the kauri body? (it doesn't look like bubinga).
If yes, please tell me why you're hiding behind a top (even if it's bubinga). So, I'll ask you to send it to me and I will send you back a wood that can be hidden without remorse. :D

I like a guitar to have all sides look great. I've really enjoyed the look of bubinga for years - and tonally it makes a perfect match with a kauri body (imo). So it's not to hide anything in particular - the ancient kauri is for sound and for that "uniqueness" of the guitar. It brings some story to the guitar, and should sound like koa :)
I needed two thick slabs to do this - body and top will be almost equally thick :)

Necromagnon

Reaction score
I like a guitar to have all sides look great. I've really enjoyed the look of bubinga for years - and tonally it makes a perfect match with a kauri body (imo). So it's not to hide anything in particular - the ancient kauri is for sound and for that "uniqueness" of the guitar. It brings some story to the guitar, and should sound like koa :)
I needed two thick slabs to do this - body and top will be almost equally thick :)
About tonal influence of wood, see my post in the appropriate thread... :D

I love bubinga also. My upcoming bass will have a bubinga top, on black kimba body. Looks simply awesome.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
I got some progress pictures for you -the bound fretboard and the neck :) The fretboard (macassar ebony) is bound in flamed maple and the neck's skunk stripe is made from kauri, the other wood wenge.

436.jpg

437.jpg

438.jpg

439a.jpg

4311.jpg

4312.jpg

Necromagnon

Reaction score
The fretboard looks much more rosewood than ebony (even makassar). It's very purplish.
Anyway, it looks great! :cheers:

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
The fretboard does have a rosewood look to it - though the light on the pictures makes it stand out more red/purplish than it is :)

Oh, also on the body and headshape: the headstock does look like a ran, but the lower side (with the 4 tuning screws) actually has a slight incurve on the middle. It's shaped over a jackson 3x3 headstock with some adjustements obviously (it's really quite difficult to make a headstock no one has done before :idea:). Here's a closeup on the headstock design, to show to curves I'm talking about:

headstock_design_03.png

The body is shaped over a chris broderick model yes, however the horns have been changed quite radically :) It's almost a mixture of a chris brod model and a suhr modern with longer horns :)