Other Barrytone - Groovy Drop F# thing

• Thread starter sessionswan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster... at least in this section. I've been a basement recorder for a while and figured I'd finally buck up and post something I've been working on. This was my RG470XL tuned to drop F# -> Axe-FX Ultra -> M-Audio Fast Track Pro and Reaper as my DAW. Metal Machine for drums and my less-than Prestige Ibanez 5 string bass for some rounding out of down below. There's a tad of Reason for synths, and a tad bit of sloppy sweeping at the end :shred:

I know this can be tightened up a bit performance-wise but I'd be curious to hear any feedback, especially mix related. Thanks guys!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/theinator/other-barrytone[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
Bumps - I gave the mix another shot and re-recorded some of the guitars. If anyone is willing to take a listen and let me know what you think about the mix, I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks!

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/theinator/other-barrytone-03-05-14[/SC]

nutsock

Reaction score
Can't speak on the mix, (listened to the song on my phone) but the song is badass!

BoW

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the guitars or a bass, but it sounds like the low end could be tightened up a bit way down in the rumbly area. I agree that the drums are a big quiet, and I might recommend playing around with snare sounds, or perhaps adding some reverb to make it sounds bigger. I like the panning on the guitar that is cutting in and out, keeps things interesting. I'm also a fan of the bit just before the neck pickup sweeping part. I'm not a fan of neck pickups in general, but I'd try to get some more clarity on the sweeping part because its hard to hear what's going on, which is unfortunate because it's a pretty intense riff. Basically the mix is good, but saying that isn't much of a suggestion so...

sessionswan

ffffffffftt
Reaction score
Hey BoW, thanks for lending me some ears! The bass was actually one of the main things in the mix I've been wrestling with. I've been getting very different results on playback between my monitors, car stereo and headphones so it's nice to get some outside feedback as well.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll whip up a new mix using all the suggestions (drums up in the mix/verb on the snare, eq on the sweeping part, hopefully better bass mix) and we'll see how things go.

And once again all, a genuine thanks for the feedback!

')