Other Great Amps in 5150iii Price Range.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
hey guys, I currently use a evh 5150iii 100 watt and just wondering what other amps are in the price range or a little more that i could look at for a change. i play progressive death metal and black metal mostly. wondering if an engl or something like that would suit me better. thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Are you talking about new or used prices?

You could probably find a used Fireball in that price range, but it's a totally different beast.

Rectifiers can be had any day of the week for well within that range. A Roadster would likely be a little bit more, but still doable.

Marshall JVM410H, though I've never heard one do black metal. I'm sure it could handle it since it's got a ton of tonal range.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
either new or used, also willing to go above that range a bit as well. i'm not a fan of mesa and ive liked the fireball ill have to play one again.

benduncan

Reaction score
Used Pitbull Ultra Leads go for under $2000. I believe that there's one on ebay for $1750 right now, but I've seen them for far less.

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
those are sweet, but the other guitarist in my band has one, so i dont wanna have the same shit as him

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
There's the Randall Thrasher and Randall Satan, you might like either of those! I think they're both around $1700 area if I'm not mistaken.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Bogner Atmos or PRS Archon - They would certainly provide a change in a good way! :cool:

MrPowers

Reaction score
You could pretty easily pick up an Engl Powerball, Fireball, or Blackmore in that range and all should suit your needs.

Shotgun

Reaction score
I think ENGL is not your amp. They heavily compressed. You need a brutal and dynamic thing such as VHT Deliverance, Bogner Uberschall, Dual Recto. In the ENGL ballpark the greatest thing for price IMO ENGL e530 preamp and 930/60 poweramp with Tung-sol 6l6.
I'm hungarian so I don't know the prices in the USA. The imported amps have higher price I think.

Or if you want a totally brutal and rare amp, buy a Kaos amp (Mákos amp in Hungary).
It's a hungarian handmade thing:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/createyourmind/m-kos-hatred-hangszo-ro-teszt[/SC]

I made it with sm57 and md421 and 4 different speaker combinations.

It has great price for you cause the hungarian money exchange.
Here is the contact of the maker guy:
info@makosamp.hu

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of amps in that price range and I think people are going to probably suggest their personal favorite since there are so many choices and it's all largely subjective.

So, i'm going to throw my suggestion into the hat with a Blackstar S1. Let's just say Blackstar isn't lying when they say "it's the sound in your head". It's ridiculously versatile, and I get some pretty monstrous death metal tones out of it. I actually checked out the EVH before settling on the blackstar. I wasn't a fan of the EVH, I felt that it was lacking some of the warmth I get from my Blackstar.

seriesone100-overview-image.jpg

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Well, what are you looking to use this for? Warforged, your solo stuff, or another band?

RichIKE

Warforged
Reaction score
Well, what are you looking to use this for? Warforged, your solo stuff, or another band?
Warforged, the axe is gonna be just for recording now. I just love a pedal-board/real amp setup too much. The axe is great live though, but the new material is much more effects heavy and experimental so i don't want to be limited by presets with a digital modeler.

')