"OTHER THINGS" - my new EP out now for free! (instrumental/guitar/prog/metal/fusion)

• Thread starter prh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
After listening to this EP an unnatural amount of times, I can say with the utmost honesty that Selenium Forest may very well be one of my favorite songs ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prh

Plini
Reaction score
Yeah, it shares the same progression as the chorus, only in Eb.

ohhh really! which part (time) in both songs? i was definitely trying to channel petrucci's evil riff face while writing that song so that isnt so surprising :lol:

Selenium Forest is like the perfect song to jam to on drums.

Oh let me fix that sentence:

Selenium Forest is like the perfect song.

There you go.

(Ps. Anyone else notice a Dream Theater - Finally Free vibe on that song?)

(Ps vol. 2, should there be a gap in between Heart and Other Things? I feel like the ticking was meant to speed up to the tempo of Other Things and then gaplessly start on it, but there's a slight gap there for some reason)

haha there wasnt that much thought put into the gaps, initially Heart was going to have a fade out but then i had a mini philosophical crisis and decided i am ethically opposed to fadeouts, so that transition is just the result of a non fade out :D

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
The progression that starts after the intro on your piece and the chorus progression for Finally Free remind each other, but they are not the same. The two first chords are the same, the third is somewhat same, but the second half of the progression isn't even near each other. However there are other things (no pun intended) that reminded me of the song. For example the play-a-mid-tempo-melody-on-guitar-low-strings that you do when the second part of the song starts. There's a similar thing on the end of Finally Free.

On the last part of Finally Free there's also the use of harmonic minor, which you're using thorough the whole song. It brings the same kind of dramatic effect to the song and IMO is one of the biggest reasons that they remind each other so much. (Or at least it's major in bringing the effect)

Najka

Reaction score
I love it!! Amazing!! great job, this is some really good stuff

prh

Plini
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone here would be interested in a physical edition (CD) of the EP? im going to do a very limited run of it soon and wanna get an idea of numbers :)

tabs for heart?!?!?!!?!

make one :fawk: im happy to check over any tabs people make but im fuckin useless with guitar pro so im not even gonna try haha

seanchud

Reaction score
This was great. Wasn't sure what I was going to get, but it was an amazing mix of styles and an even more amazing set of sounds. I really dig the production. It sounds like it was done in a bedroom, though I don't mean that as an insult. It's got more personality and heart than anything I've heard in a long time. Nicely done.

One question. On the bandcamp page you say that it was mixed and then abandoned in March, does that mean there is more and you just didn't put the time into it or that you just didn't want to mess with the mix any more?

prh

Plini
Reaction score
One question. On the bandcamp page you say that it was mixed and then abandoned in March, does that mean there is more and you just didn't put the time into it or that you just didn't want to mess with the mix any more?

neither really, i just dont believe in 'completion' when it comes to art, so i just call march the time i finally went, 'fuck it, this is ready for people to hear' haha

AscendingMatt

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone here would be interested in a physical edition (CD) of the EP? im going to do a very limited run of it soon and wanna get an idea of numbers :)

make one :fawk: im happy to check over any tabs people make but im fuckin useless with guitar pro so im not even gonna try haha

what tuning are you in? i suck at guitar pro too :fawk:

durangokid

derka derka!!
Reaction score
This is the fucking golden age of contemporary music... And you Plini, you'll be one of the greatest of your own. I don't even have words to describe the impact that " Selenium Forest " has on me... To put it simple, i've been through some really bad times, today i've heard your ep, and when the third track came up, it was like perfection to me, man. It made me feel so good about myself and on the same instant i decided that i would finally record my ep. Thank you so much for being an inspiration. =D

prh

Plini
Reaction score
what tuning are you in? i suck at guitar pro too :fawk:

haha Eb standard! except Heart acoustics are in an open tuning which you can transcribe from the outro riff (i just play the 12th fret harmonics ascending as the first chord) :)

This is the fucking golden age of contemporary music... And you Plini, you'll be one of the greatest of your own. I don't even have words to describe the impact that " Selenium Forest " has on me... To put it simple, i've been through some really bad times, today i've heard your ep, and when the third track came up, it was like perfection to me, man. It made me feel so good about myself and on the same instant i decided that i would finally record my ep. Thank you so much for being an inspiration. =D

dude thank you! this is so much beyond the reaction i expected, so great to hear that :)

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Can't stop listening. I think this and Pastures are easily two of my favourite things to listen to (Pastures has kept that spot since its release). They just make me so happy and nostalgic and magical feeling :wub:

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
This reminds me of so many of my favourite things in music, not least Al Di Meola, possibly one of my most idolised guitarists.

Shame he's not produced anything this good really.

Seriously plini this is ridiculous. I insist I add you on facebook or something.

Irritatingly, my second EP was gunna be this feel of prog (in contrast to the spacey, moody stuff I'm in at the moment I mean), but screw following up something like this! I quit! :lol:

Najka

Reaction score
More comment love!!!!

lol-cats_i-love-this-thread-so-much_zps4fd4e53b.jpg

prh

Plini
Reaction score
This reminds me of so many of my favourite things in music, not least Al Di Meola, possibly one of my most idolised guitarists.

Shame he's not produced anything this good really.

Seriously plini this is ridiculous. I insist I add you on facebook or something.

Irritatingly, my second EP was gunna be this feel of prog (in contrast to the spacey, moody stuff I'm in at the moment I mean), but screw following up something like this! I quit! :lol:

:D i've made it a habit only to add people i know on fb but feel free to message me anytime cos im always down to chat! and you better still release your music man, the world needs more music!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
:p

I mean do you have a page for your music I can 'like' or something? You should sort it out man!

prh

Plini
Reaction score
:D thanks man!

it's been a week and there have been over 30k song plays on bandcamp/youtube, and over 2000 downloads :bowdown:

the number of bands and players i like who i didnt think would ever even know i existed who are sharing it is ridiculous, its so surreal haha

and the number of people going out of their way to donate anything from 1 dollar to 40 :eek: its crazy

')