Ovation 8 string!

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Duuuuudes! Did you guys see this? I talked with one of the reps over email, and here are the specs. Below is a youtube video from NAMM, as well.

1788TX-5 – 8 String Black $1099.00, Mid Depth
• Body
• Bracing: Quarter sawn Scalloped "X"
• Back: Lyrachord® Mid Depth Cutaway
• Top Finish: Matte Black Enamel
• Laser Cut Multi- Soundholes
• Body Top: Solid Spruce
• Body Binding: Black
• Neck
• Fingerboard: Deluxe Grade Ebony
• Fingerboard Radius: 10" (254 mm)
• Neck: Hard Rock Maple
• Neck Finish: Natural Satin
• Frets: 17-23 (high E) fully accessible frets
• Position Inlays: None
• Scale: 25 1/4 (641 mm)
• Nut Material: ABS, 2.14” (54.4mm)
• Electronics
• Electronics: OP-Pro Preamp
• Pickup: Ovation OCP-1K Pickup
• Hardware
• Bridge: Ebony
• Tuners: Die-Cast Sealed Tuners
• Machines: Graph Tech Ratio Tuners
• Hardware Finish: Black
• Strings: D’Addario 8 String Set (.009-.074 Gauges)

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
That's really cool! But 25.25" scale is a bit worrying. I suppose the only answer is to try one out.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
cool idea but I've never gelled with ovation guitars. Tried a ton of them over the years and they just don't do it for me. glad that the 8 string acoustic market is expanding though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah the 25.5 isn't awesome, but if you'd bet me that ovation would release a high end 8 this year, I'd have said you were smoking the wacky tobacky.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Never got along with their guitars, felt weird playing standing up with the round back. But goddamn they've always sounded so good. I would love to try this, tune it up just a hair.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, they're definitely weird playing standing up. They always want to float up so it's like you're playing a lap steel. But the fronts look sooooo cool with the non traditional sound holes.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
As an Ovation owner (2778AX-5) and fan of ergs this makes me moist :3

Bummer on the scale, especially seeing as they do a 27" baritone, so they already have the template for the fret locations :D

My one has the deep contour bowl and I experience no issues standing, though I do prefer to have a strap on when I sit.

I know most people bitch cause they don't sound traditional etc but I honestly prefer the way they sound, and to me they have a more expressive dynamic range than traditional acoustics anyway, and their pickup system is so good, so them doing an 8 is definitely cool, though I'd be more inclined for a 7 :3

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Maybe the rusty cooley tuning? i cant find another reason for the 25.5" scale

:agreed: I'd recommend uptuning honestly, even if it were 27" it still takes a monster gauge to get to the usual kind of acoustic tension (49-54 E) required for lack of noise and solid projection with an F# (anything up to 95). I probably wouldn't want to drop E without a 100. But that's just me maybe :)
Save

Reactions: fps

Damon67

Reaction score
Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I have some new 8 strings to talk about. A lot higher end than the one Mike's talking about in the video. Locking GraphTech Ratio tuners, gloss quilt Sapele burst finish, and a Deep Contour bowl, not a mid bowl like the one above (not round and sits on your leg without slipping like typical Ovations like to do).

And the best thing... 27.25" scale.

I'll follow up with a separate post with pics. These things are ridiculously cool.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I have some new 8 strings to talk about. A lot higher end than the one Mike's talking about in the video. Locking GraphTech Ratio tuners, gloss quilt Sapele burst finish, and a Deep Contour bowl, not a mid bowl like the one above (not round and sits on your leg without slipping like typical Ovations like to do).

And the best thing... 27.25" scale.

I'll follow up with a separate post with pics. These things are ridiculously cool.

Oh, cool. You mean a new model for 2019, or are you talking about a one-off?

Damon67

Reaction score
New model. Two finishes, though they're nearly the same. Sapele Tobacco Burst, and Sapele Purple Burst.

We're the only place that has them in stock. Here's the purple burst...

full

full

full

full

full

Scordare

Reaction score
New model. Two finishes, though they're nearly the same. Sapele Tobacco Burst, and Sapele Purple Burst.

We're the only place that has them in stock. Here's the purple burst...

full

full

full

full

full

These look great, how much? I didn't see them on the website.. Too bad there isn't a 7 string model too, I would be interested in that. It is unusual to see a manufacturer like this skip a 7 and go straight to 8.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I'm really curious as to why they don't have a 7. Bummer.

I really want an acoustic 7. Might have to just roll the dice on one of the Agile Rennassaince's.

blacai

Reaction score
Silly question for sure... I get the 6-string->12-string, Would it be possible and would it make sense 8-string->16 string? o_O

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's actually pretty cool. I always thought that, given the complexity of amplifying a distorted 8 string, they were really better suited for fingerstyle or touchstyle clean playing. This would be rather fun for that.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweetwater has a bunch of the 8s that Damon67 was talking about, price dropped down to $799. Looks cool, but he was right the two colors are pretty close to the same.

Latest posts