Ovation 8 string!

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’d like to get one, but I already have an 8 string Agile Renaissance that is being neglected, so.... I want one, but I think it’s just because I like those ovation sound holes.

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, although Sweetwater doesn't list a scale length, when I Google that model it also suss scale is 25.25 so I am not sure what he was talking about. Nor can I find mention of the Ratio tuners. Ovation 's FB page says these are not going to be around long. Too bad the video in the OP doesn't actually demo what it sounds like.

Damon67

Reaction score
I have one right in front of me, what do you want to know? The scale length is 27", strings are .009 - .074, it has Ratio tuners, and these also have the contour bowl (not a round back). Sweetwater bought the rest of them along with all the rest of the exotic wood 6 and 12 string models at a ridiculously low price. Luckily, we sold all the ones we had before this happened.

I do have 2 demos available. One has a slight scratch, the other a ding on the bowl. $500 and whatever shipping is to you.

C2088AXP-STBC.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score
I have one right in front of me, what do you want to know? The scale length is 27", strings are .009 - .074, it has Ratio tuners, and these also have the contour bowl (not a round back). Sweetwater bought the rest of them along with all the rest of the exotic wood 6 and 12 string models at a ridiculously low price. Luckily, we sold all the ones we had before this happened.

I do have 2 demos available. One has a slight scratch, the other a ding on the bowl. $500 and whatever shipping is to you.

C2088AXP-STBC.jpg
Do you happen to know if these are solid tops or laminates? How big of string can you fit through the bridge?

Suho

Guitar Guardian
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so tempted, but I don't currently have an 8 and I want an electric before an acoustic.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I’d like to get one, but I already have an 8 string Agile Renaissance that is being neglected, so.... I want one, but I think it’s just because I like those ovation sound holes.
My Renaissance has no electronics... If yours is one of the first run I just made an excuse for both of us. :yesway: :lol:

I kinda want an 8 string ovation just because I never thought it would happen... I also use my electric 8 for clean stuff more than heavy stuff when I actually use the 8th string...

Ovations also always had a kind of "electric guitar in an acoustics body" feel to them that I kind of liked over most other acoustics.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
My Renaissance has no electronics... If yours is one of the first run I just made an excuse for both of us. :yesway: :lol:

I kinda want an 8 string ovation just because I never thought it would happen... I also use my electric 8 for clean stuff more than heavy stuff when I actually use the 8th string...

Ovations also always had a kind of "electric guitar in an acoustics body" feel to them that I kind of liked over most other acoustics.
Yeah, the “electric in an acoustic” body is why I want to get one. And yeah, my Renaissance is from Run 1 also, so that is indeed a good excuse!

jwguitar

Reaction score
Duuuuudes! Did you guys see this? I talked with one of the reps over email, and here are the specs. Below is a youtube video from NAMM, as well.

1788TX-5 – 8 String Black $1099.00, Mid Depth
• Body
• Bracing: Quarter sawn Scalloped "X"
• Back: Lyrachord® Mid Depth Cutaway
• Top Finish: Matte Black Enamel
• Laser Cut Multi- Soundholes
• Body Top: Solid Spruce
• Body Binding: Black
• Neck
• Fingerboard: Deluxe Grade Ebony
• Fingerboard Radius: 10" (254 mm)
• Neck: Hard Rock Maple
• Neck Finish: Natural Satin
• Frets: 17-23 (high E) fully accessible frets
• Position Inlays: None
• Scale: 25 1/4 (641 mm)
• Nut Material: ABS, 2.14” (54.4mm)
• Electronics
• Electronics: OP-Pro Preamp
• Pickup: Ovation OCP-1K Pickup
• Hardware
• Bridge: Ebony
• Tuners: Die-Cast Sealed Tuners
• Machines: Graph Tech Ratio Tuners
• Hardware Finish: Black
• Strings: D’Addario 8 String Set (.009-.074 Gauges)

I would play that for sure. To be honest as a jazz guitarist (I usually play solo gigs in the style of Joe Pass), I would love to have an 8 string (see video below). It actually makes for sense in a way than a 6 string because you basically have almost the entire range of a piano underneath your fingers. I suspect it might be a little awkward at first to play but if you practice Im sure the transition isn't too bad. I certainly think it could help improve my playing.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Yeah the 25.5 isn't awesome, but if you'd bet me that ovation would release a high end 8 this year, I'd have said you were smoking the wacky tobacky.

See I think 25.5 is a perfect length. Its not too long or too short. I would tune the middle strings in standard and then use the bottom string as a low A to play the lower ocatave the walking bassline and either tune the top string to B to play the upper register notes.