Overloud TH-U - My video review!

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I would like to share with you all my latest review of the Overloud TH-U amp sim!

Please let me know what you think of it!

haffner1

Reaction score
How is the latency vs. the TH3? I wouldn't mind using one of these types of plugins for when I have to travel and stay in hotel rooms, as most of them are starting to sound quite decent vs. ones I tried years back. I have tried a few demos, but I am using an older i7 (about 4-5 years old) when I travel and when I have tested them on that, the latency is just slightly too much to tolerate. They are better on my desktop, but I have an AxeFX III, so there would be no point. Even using the Axe as an interface on the desktop, I have to run them at 128 samples, which is just a hair too slow for my taste.

Metropolis

Reaction score
How is the latency vs. the TH3? I wouldn't mind using one of these types of plugins for when I have to travel and stay in hotel rooms, as most of them are starting to sound quite decent vs. ones I tried years back. I have tried a few demos, but I am using an older i7 (about 4-5 years old) when I travel and when I have tested them on that, the latency is just slightly too much to tolerate. They are better on my desktop, but I have an AxeFX III, so there would be no point. Even using the Axe as an interface on the desktop, I have to run them at 128 samples, which is just a hair too slow for my taste.

It's very light on cpu, you could run it 34-64 samples without problems. Just try it out, 15 days full demo is free.

My complaints about this update are it sounds same as TH3, I don't really care about varifire and changing tubes, because I would run amps still in full position with 6L6 tubes. For example comparing amp modeling to Mercuriall or Neural DSP stuff it really lacks harmonic complexity and feel with hi-gain amps, and there is no possibility to have oversampling for better quality. Effects are really good as always with Overloud products.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

trem licking

Reaction score

It's a super lightweight, well thought out amp sim and it sounds as good as any top sim out there currently. I'm using it on a 1st gen I7 and have zero issues... i am also using an old firepod interface which is firewire, however. I'm betting it will work flawlessly on your setup though, just try the demo. the biggest determining factor of latency will be your audio interface drivers.

haffner1

Reaction score
It's a super lightweight, well thought out amp sim and it sounds as good as any top sim out there currently. I'm using it on a 1st gen I7 and have zero issues... i am also using an old firepod interface which is firewire, however. I'm betting it will work flawlessly on your setup though, just try the demo. the biggest determining factor of latency will be your audio interface drivers.
Thanks! I will give it a try. I will eventually have to buy a USB interface, because I have just been using the dry signal from the AxeFX over USB. I would appreciate any suggestions. I'm not really looking to spend more than about $200 on the interface, because it would basically just be as a backup/travel practice rig.

Joan Maal

Reaction score
I have just tried the demo. No response or latency issues. But, as mentioned, seems to be the same as TH3

alessandroarzilli

Reaction score
After using it for few days I have to say that it's really good, the tones seem a little bit improved compared to TH3, especially because in the THU you can tweak more settings regarding the power amp section.
I didn't experience any latency issues and in my tests and reviews I always use my old i3 PC and my cheap M-Track MK II soundcard with the latest free ASIO 4 all driver.
Tweaking the internal settings I usually have something like 10-15 msec of latency.
Maybe watching my video you can see that there's an extremely little delay between when I pick the string and when you hear the same.