Ozzfest 06 was better than expected...

• Thread starter Jysan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
At first I was anticipating a boring day with a few allright bands throwing down when I saw the band list...but I actually had a hell of a time and was fucking ruled by Strapping young Lad! I was surprised by A Life Once lost as well who had an awesome stage presence and interesting guitar tones. One of their guitar players also played an old ibanez rhoads which was fuckin cool. The best show of the day definately went to Strapping Young Lad though. I hadn't heard much of them before but when they went into the first song of their set I was immediately blown away by their live production...their sound was just incredible! All in all, most of the bands were gay (atreyu, SOAD, hatebreed,....yeah) but I still had an awesome time catching dragonforce, Unearth, SYL, BLS and A life once lost all in the same day!

ozzfest 2006 gets a 6.5/10

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaredowty

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about SYL, but have yet to check out their stuff. That's on my to-do list.

How was Dragonforce's set?

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
sharon... iron maiden... I will never go to ozzfest again, no matter how wicked of a show.:noplease:

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
dragonforce was incredible...good song choice and their playing was flawless...amazing stuff! yeah what was the deal with the sharon iron maiden thing...she cut the power or something?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll say...the Demon Hunter show was freaking insane, it was probably 105 degrees in there, mass insanity ensued. I seriously thought I was gonna throw up at the end because it was so hot and I'd headbanged for like 3 hours straight.

For the record, in Becoming the Archetype's set we got some sweep-picking, tapping solo madness which was crazy \m/ total ownage. BTA is a sonic massacre.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
SYL is cool. Unfortunatlely way too much goofy bands there for my tastes (BLS, Dragonforce, Atreyu, Hatebreed, Disturbed, etc). I'll be going to the "Sounds of the Underground" show though, quite a few excellent bands on that bill.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
Unholy Alliance for me.

or not... I can't decide if I want to see Mastodon that much.

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
demon hunter??? one I dont know how you could headbang to christian bullshit hardcore....and two what are you talking about?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mahathera said:
Unholy Alliance for me.

or not... I can't decide if I want to see Mastodon that much.

I was invited to goto Unholy Alliance, I passed. $45 was too much for me, especially when the only band I love on the bill is Children of Bodom. I like some Slayer tunes, but I'm not into the stuff like Lamb of God or Mastodon....at least not enough to shell out $45.

Sounds of the Underground has several bands I love. In Flames, Behemoth, Black Dahlia Murder, Cannibal Corpse, and even GWAR for comic value. Definitely will be at that show :)

Jysan

Banned
Reaction score
sotu looks awesome but its not coming anywhere close so...yeah most of the bands there were terrible...i can't stand soad and atreyu told the crowd to do "spirit fingers" so yeah...still fun though.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I was invited to goto Unholy Alliance, I passed. $45 was too much for me, especially when the only band I love on the bill is Children of Bodom. I like some Slayer tunes, but I'm not into the stuff like Lamb of God or Mastodon....at least not enough to shell out $45.

Sounds of the Underground has several bands I love. In Flames, Behemoth, Black Dahlia Murder, Cannibal Corpse, and even GWAR for comic value. Definitely will be at that show :)

I like alot of the bands you do, i feel the same way about metal core also.
I have seen behemoth a few times live, they have always been amazing :bowdown:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Jysan said:
demon hunter??? one I dont know how you could headbang to christian bullshit hardcore....and two what are you talking about?
What the music was has nothing to do with how intense it was. Whatever, lol, it was awesome and I had a great time.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Samer said:
I like alot of the bands you do, i feel the same way about metal core also.
I have seen behemoth a few times live, they have always been amazing :bowdown:

I've never seen Behemoth. I'm really angry I missed the Behemoth/Nile/Hypocrisy tour. I love Behemoth's last 2 albums (the ones with 7-strings) so much, I will not miss them this time.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Behemoth a few months ago, expecting them to be lame as fuck... they are sooooo good live.:yesway:

Blew their studio stuff away.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
^what do the vocals sound like live?

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
^what do the vocals sound like live?
Well, on the album, they're low as fuck, and don't really blend with the music. Live, it flowed right in with the music. I don't know if they've had their stuff badly mixed or what, they sound awesome live, and put on one hell of a show.:yesway:

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:

I'll agree with that mostly. Metalcore isn't usually my thing, however I like Mastodon for some reason (or maybe it's just their cover art :lol:).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They're just somewhat processed on the records. I like it, but I mainly ignore vocals in most death metal bands. I'm into it because of the music primarily.

Mahathera said:
I'll agree with that mostly. Metalcore isn't usually my thing, however I like Mastodon for some reason (or maybe it's just their cover art :lol:).

Mastodon has its moments, they're obviously talented at their instruments, and I do dig their imagery and theme, I just have a hard time getting into the majority of their songs.

')