P-90s for Post-Rock/Metal...am I nuts?!

• Thread starter Sludgehammer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sludgehammer

Reaction score
I am going to be starting a post-rock/post-metal project and would like to change the pickups in my Ibanez MTM2. Right now it has the Designed by EMG Ibanez pickups. They are low output and sound pretty good clean, but I've read about p90s and I'm drawn to their description. SO..

Has anybody used P90 pickups (or P90 sized humbuckers, as will be the case) for metal? The stuff I'll be playing is in Drop B or Drop A. I don't need super chuggy tone here, but I will be using a metal dosage of gain for the heavier parts.

Would I just be better off with some PAF style humbuckers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
well. Isis uses P-90s i think that pretty much answers your question.

if you are doing post-rock post-metal stuff, i usually find the super high output stuff doesnt do your tone any favors.

if you want P-90s...get P-90s.

Gren

Reaction score
Go for it. Just because I wanna see P-90s in an Ibby MTM2, that's so cool.

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
P-90s for Post-Rock

4009260187_a801c71d10.jpg

Works for Mono. :coffee:

(okay, they're Jazzmaster pickups, not P-90s, but close enough. :lol: )

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Soapbars rock... Shame there are no 7 string ones out there, or my current build would have one in the neck.

Sludgehammer

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm gona go for some GFS Mean 90s, now I just gotta decide what color...either black or nickel finish. What do you think would look best on a black MTM2?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Mean 90's ftw!

go with black.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Do it, man. P-90's friggin rock. Most of the distortion is coming from the amp anyway. Hell, if I had a high gain amp I'd use vintage voiced pickups in everything.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
holy jesus. what p90 is this one? wtf.. its so damn crunchy

It's a custom made Bare Knuckle pickup. It's in essence a Humbucker sized Pig 90 with a Ceramic magnet instead of an Alnico. Shit is brutal!

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
They make those now which is awesome.

Oh, cool! You mean like a permanent addition to the roster? That would be cool. This pickup was mainly a brainfart my best friend Mads had, and I had the privilege of testing it out before he got it. It was the "prototype" if you will. However I did hear that like... Four or five guys off the BKP forum ordered one after I put up the clip :lol:

zappatton2

Reaction score
Personally I've got nothing but good things to say about SD P-Rails, if you get the special SD pickup rings to go with them you can convert your pickup from P-90 to single coil to humbucker and back again, and these pickups sound amazing in every setting IMHO.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I've got nothing but good things to say about SD P-Rails, if you get the special SD pickup rings to go with them you can convert your pickup from P-90 to single coil to humbucker and back again, and these pickups sound amazing in every setting IMHO.

All those are is a switch for each coil, you can achieve the same thing, much more practically with a north/series/south switch, imo more practical as you only need 1 motion to get any mode.

zappatton2

Reaction score
I personally don't have the rings, but rather two 3-way switches like you say, I only note it for the sake of avoiding any additional routing. Still a wonderful pickup, and I do tend to use the P-90 option in it quite a bit.

Metalguy

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the dude from System of a Down used a P-90 equipped SG for the majority of Hypnotize/Mesmerize. Pretty good tone..

')