P-90s vs Single-coils

• Thread starter dedsouth333
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
So I just snagged an Agile Tele in a trade and it was incredibly surprising to play. I absolutely love it. It has a SD Hot Stack in the bridge and an Antiquity in the neck (I already know that I can't stand the Antiquity so that doesn't really matter).

The biggest problem I have with it is how bright and twangy it is (I know, dur it's a Tele w/single-coils). I find myself running the tone knob on zero every time I play it. Don't get me wrong I still like the way it sounds, so I'm not really looking for a different pickup for this guitar. I'm really wondering if in the future it'd be worth my time to grab a guitar with P-90s. I have absolutely no experience with P-90s and can't try one.

So are they thicker? Will I retain the clarity that I love about the single-coils?

Any experience and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
P90s are single coils, but they are built differently and have a different sound. They'll still retain some of the single coil qualities, but they are fatter and a lot more mids. They're kind of like an hot/overwound single coil, but definitely their own thing.

So, to answer your question, yes - you need a guitar with P90s in your collection. :cool:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Yeah, I had read that they were more or less super-wound single-coils (as far as construction goes anyway, haha). I think you're right, though. After all that arm twisting I'll agree to just go ahead and get one. :lol:

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
Everyone needs a set of P90's somewhere in their collection...
Also, a Jazzmaster equipped with said P90's would be ideal :cool:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Absolutely! I love the Jaguar body style. I might see if I can snag a Reverend for a good deal, too. I hear good things about them.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Hum cancellation isn't a huge deal to me (I've got a Decimator, haha). I'll check them out though. They sound interesting.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
And, if you can't live without hum cancellation, Seymour Duncan makes some stacked P-90's. EMG has an equivalent as well.

EMG technically doesn't make stacked P90's or any other P90 for that matter. Those are just various different 81/85/60/H4 humbucker models in an 'ugly active P90' housing. Don't mean to rail on your suggestion, but I can't allow my fellow forumites to remain under the false pretense that those are actual P90's, stacked or not.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
EMG technically doesn't make stacked P90's or any other P90 for that matter. Those are just various different 81/85/60/H4 humbucker models in an 'ugly active P90' housing. Don't mean to rail on your suggestion, but I can't allow my fellow forumites to remain under the false pretense that those are actual P90's, stacked or not.

Fair enough, and thank you for the clarification fine sir.:yesway:

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I'll gladly second any Seymour Duncan P90 model though. They're truly the best when it comes to the grittiest single-coil tone you can imagine.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Yeah, there seems to be more options out there than I originally thought when it comes to aftermarket P-90s. I'll have plenty to keep me busy that's for sure. Joshua(VonFlash) seemed really happy with that set of Pig-90s in his Sensei.

Looks like it's research time again.

Reaction score
I have the BK war pig 90 bridge in my PRS se soapbar ii and it slaaaaaaays

frahmans

Reaction score
Yeah, there seems to be more options out there than I originally thought when it comes to aftermarket P-90s. I'll have plenty to keep me busy that's for sure. Joshua(VonFlash) seemed really happy with that set of Pig-90s in his Sensei.

Looks like it's research time again.

Well, in the passive field, are you after a more true vintage p-90 or something more modern?

If you look at tdpri.com (the telecaster forum), many of them seem to love Lollar P-90s. Of course, the crowd is more into vintage and more correct specs.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Well, I'll definitely say I'm not stuck on the "vintage correct" side of things (though not completely opposed to it either as long as it sounds good).

I mean, all I play is metal so that is ultimately my goal. I just figured since this Tele sounded so good to me with the tone on zero then a slightly thicker, darker sounding type of pickup without going full-on humbucker might be a good solution.

tedtan

Reaction score
If you look at tdpri.com (the telecaster forum), many of them seem to love Lollar P-90s. Of course, the crowd is more into vintage and more correct specs.

Lollars kick much ass in the vintage tone arena. Lindy Fralin's pickups, too.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the GFS Mean 90 or Dream 90?

I've been debating trying out a humbucker-sized P90 for the neck position of a guitar don't play a whole lot for a little change of pace, but I want to keep it pretty cheap, like sub $50 for a new or used pickup.

Any other good hum-sized P90's out there? Any other cheap ones would be nice, but it's always nice knowing as many options out there (regardless of price) as I can :)

nlaplante

Reaction score
DiMarzio BluesBucker

Quote from their Bluesbucker page:
And now for something completely different: the Bluesbucker® looks like a standard humbucker, but sounds like a P90 and cancels 60-cycle hum as effectively as the average humbucker. This means any guitar with standard size humbuckers can now have the sound of P90s without altering the guitar in any way and without noise. Patented Virtual Vintage® and Airbucker™ technology let the Bluesbucker® “see” a narrow string window like a true single-coil, making it extremely sensitive to playing dynamics. When a pair of these pickups are on together, they achieve the open, slightly hollow sound that two single-coils produce. Splitting the pickup produces a sound similar to that of a Strat® pickup, with very little drop in output.
Bluesbucker® | DiMarzio

This is going in my Squier Telecaster bridge pos soon.

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the GFS Mean 90 or Dream 90?

I've been debating trying out a humbucker-sized P90 for the neck position of a guitar don't play a whole lot for a little change of pace, but I want to keep it pretty cheap, like sub $50 for a new or used pickup.

Any other good hum-sized P90's out there? Any other cheap ones would be nice, but it's always nice knowing as many options out there (regardless of price) as I can :)

I have a Mean 90 neck pickup in my baritone guitar (replacing a stock humbucker). I had read several reviews before making the switch where people praised them despite the price, and some even said that they sounded better than Seymour Duncan's Phat Cat pickups. I have also read from people who have tried both GFS HSP90s that the Mean 90 is better than the Dream 90. I have not tried other HSP90s, and my experience with 'real' p90s is limited, but I have really liked the tone of the Mean 90. It is clear and full, including the bass response on lower notes.
I am probably a bit biased, so take my review with a grain of salt. It is one of my favorite neck pickups of the ones I have tried or heard in other guitars.
You do need to be careful with the kinds and amount of distortion you use with it. It can sound harsh with some overdrives or muddy with high gain.

EDIT: Let me know if there is anything in particular I can help with. I am sure that there are a few others who use the GFS HSP90s on the forum as well.

')