Pacific Rim -- Guillermo del Toro's Giant Mecha movie

• Thread starter iamthefonz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaredowty

Reaction score
As a fan of giant monster movies, this looks a little too generic, like a mix of the horrid American 98 Godzilla and Cloverfield. We'll see how it goes.

i can't be mad about a movie with stringer fucking bell in it
:yesway: Idris Elba, one of the best actors out there IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Del Toro + Sons Of Anarchy cast made me watch the trailer. The trailer left me with very mixed feelings.

This could be epic win, or it could be a fail of gigantic proportions. Like "Real Steel meets Cloverfield meets Transformers 2".

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
I'm excited to see Del Torro do something not so similar to his past films. Although the whole 'monster battle' movie genre never really interested me, i'd like to see his take on it.

whether it sucks or its amazing, if he's doing this to help fund at the mountains of madness (like a previous poster mentioned), then its fine by me and i'll buy tickets.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
This looks epic. This + the new Godzilla film due out and I should get my fill of giant monsters for next year. :3

I can't be bothered watching robots and monsters beat each other up.

You sound like my least favourite kind of person.

I jest of course. :wub:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
lol my mate showed me this on saturday, looks cool. Im sure it'll be a terrible movie, but it'll be so over the top with carnage and destruction it'll be a good watch regardless :p

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Could've just made a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion, but w/e.

wankerness

Reaction score
lol my mate showed me this on saturday, looks cool. Im sure it'll be a terrible movie, but it'll be so over the top with carnage and destruction it'll be a good watch regardless :p

Guillermo Del Toro's never made a bad movie besides Mimic so I think it will be far better than the subject material would suggest is possible.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
So why hasn't this gotten any attention for the past 5 months? :squint: I am SO looking forward to watching this movie! It looks awesome. I'm saying this purely as a Neon Genesis Evangelion fan, though, and not necessarily because I think it'll be a movie with brilliant writing or meaningful and intricate plots. The similarities between the two are uncanny. There's almost no doubt in my mind that one of the writers drew quite some inspiration from there. I guess I can now wait a little more for the NGE live-action :lol:

And, to make this necrobump worthwhile, here's the (relatively) new trailer:

EDIT: sorry, that trailer was for Wondercon. Here's the official new trailer:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Man, seeing the trailer for this before Man of Steel made me want to see it that much more. So much kick-ass shit going on this movie, my body's not even close to ready.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Right?! The action looks unbealivable, and I actually do like the premise. Cheesy, but effective. Plus the NGE mojo I already mentioned. Here's hoping they pull it off right!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
There was a really good interview with director Guillermo Del Toro on CBC's Q this morning

Superhero saturation? | Guillermo del Toro | The end of room service? | Q with Jian Ghomeshi | CBC Radio

Great and interesting interview with Guillermo, but... Jesus f*ck, why did they have to put this Joe Queenan guy before him? Listening to him made my ears bleed and my brain shrink.

That aside, Guillermo sounds like such a passionate man about what he does, and I like the way he sees things. It's very child-like and likable, in a way. Gives me hope for Pacific Rim.

Cheap Poison

Reaction score
This movie always made me wonder if it is connected to monsterpocalypse in any way.

I am very excited for this! Hopefully this will do good and we will get kaiju movies.

wankerness

Reaction score
I might have to go see this one in the theater, cause I bet it will bomb. I need to vote with my 8 dollars!

')