Pacific Rim -- Guillermo del Toro's Giant Mecha movie

• Thread starter iamthefonz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
When I first saw the trailer, I saw a giant glowing orange light, heard gladys, and saw people in bulbous white armor.

I though it was a ....ing portal movie :lol:. That being said, I'm not disappointed that it's something nearly as awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Just came back from the theater. Great movie, but like Skisgaar & Alberto7 pointed out,this is basically NGE without all the religious and political plus mind....ing agenda of NGE.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just came back from the theater. Great movie, but like Skisgaar & Alberto7 pointed out,this is basically NGE without all the religious and political plus mind....ing agenda of NGE.

tumblr_m5y78vm1Al1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Mexi

Reaction score
If you're not into giant robots and/or monsters, you're probably in the wrong thread.

interestingly, the 72% on rotten tomatoes suggests that it is A LOT better than most of the other summer movies that have come out so far :shrug:

I'll probably see it if my friends want to.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Just saw the movie and it had some great action scenes, but I think it was lacking a bit in dialogue and detail, but every movie doesn't get a trilogy to explain absolutely every aspect of the story.

In short, I liked it. Also, I'll echo the NGE stuff.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Good kaiju movies don't need logical dialogue. I mean really...anything more than "oh shit...run it's *******" and I tune out because at that moment, I want to see a monster pounding/breathing/lazing/etc on something.

Why the "NGE" references? I read the Wiki and didn't really see a similarity aside from "giant-robotic-thing-vs-giant-alien-thing." Is that what people are referring to? (SSO isn't 1st time i've heard that)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I take it when you say NGE you mean Neon Genesis, and without seeing any of it, I imagine the likeness comes from the mental link bit vs. the actual aesthetics of the robots? Cause I can say that I've seen the Eva models and they don't look like ANY of the Jaegers they've shown.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's mainly in the details, not the actual story. Many scenes look VERY similar to scenes in NGE (see attached YouTube video), both mecha use neurological synchronization with the pilot, and between the pilots themselves when the EVA needs more than one pilot. Angels (which are the kaiju equivalent) have a mysterious origin. In Pacific Rim, the pilot's suit is filled with a liquid, whereas in NGE the entire "cabin" where the pilot resides is filled in a breathable liquid (LCL fluid). The overall feeling of widespread mass destruction from both works is astonishingly similar, completely disregarding buildings and possible casualties. And there's probably a few other similarities that I'm not aware of as of now. Of course, NGE is infinitely more intricate and mind....ing plot-wise, but the aim of the movie was the complete opposite of being complicated and deep.

Of course, this video was manipulated to compare similarities, but it doesn't mean that the entirety of the show is exactly the same as the movie :lol:. The stylistic connection is there, though:

Now, I haven't seen the movie yet (and I'm just DYING to watch it), but I think it's safe to assume that they're very similar. Besides, as of today, we've got eyewitnesses :lol:

EDIT: oh, another difference between Evangelion and Pacific Rim, is the fact that the EVA's aren't robots per se, but actually mostly biological beings. Like some sort of oversized cyborg, if you will.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Four of us left the theater with shit eating grins, one was raging. But he's not so down or familiar with the mecha.

Decent characterization, some good acting actually, remarkably few plot holes or giant bubble bursting niggles and better than expected action. Whole thing has a pretty great feel. I think it would be pretty fertile ground for some serious development and depth, but it's already a summer blockbuster that's over two hours, soooo. Much better than Star Trek too, as a movie and work.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Eh, if that's the case, one could say the similarities go back to Voltron, Shogun Warriors/Force Five, Macross, Tranzor Z, or any of the Mecha vs. Monster shows/movies. A lot of which pre-date NGE.

Either way, I'm pretty stoked to see this

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Just went to see it today and as far as "popcorn" movies go, GDT did an amazing job. If the guys from TOHO back in the day could see what they've inspired, they would be very pleased with themselves. The Jaeger scenes were very well done and the action was fairly easy to follow. Unlike the Transformer movies where the fight scenes are just a mess of moving metal parts that vaguely resemble a "robot". Overall, I enjoyed it WAY more than Iron Man 3 or Man Of Steel. I'd put it up as being one of the best of the summer movies this year. Granted, the acting may not have been 'award worthy' but it kind of never is in these kinds of movies.

Given what was done with this one CGI wise, I wonder if anyone will take a chance on a MechWarrior movie based on the Battletech game(s).

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Just went to see it today and as far as "popcorn" movies go, GDT did an amazing job. If the guys from TOHO back in the day could see what they've inspired, they would be very pleased with themselves. The Jaeger scenes were very well done and the action was fairly easy to follow. Unlike the Transformer movies where the fight scenes are just a mess of moving metal parts that vaguely resemble a "robot". Overall, I enjoyed it WAY more than Iron Man 3 or Man Of Steel. I'd put it up as being one of the best of the summer movies this year. Granted, the acting may not have been 'award worthy' but it kind of never is in these kinds of movies.

Given what was done with this one CGI wise, I wonder if anyone will take a chance on a MechWarrior movie based on the Battletech game(s).

Starsiege or bust! :fawk:

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
My reaction is classified so I can't tell you...
But it's pretty awesome so I might tell you...
Okay, I'm gonna tell you.

I had a nergasm the whole time.

')