Pacific Rim -- Guillermo del Toro's Giant Mecha movie

• Thread starter iamthefonz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
It was a pile of crap...that I THOROUGHLY enjoyed

^ Pretty much my take on it, TERRIBLE storyline. But the action was great, and Charlie Day made for some excellent comic relief but still proving useful to the main story. Ending was corny and predictable too, but Mechs and Monsters. They know how to intrigue me :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
I concur with the above, good enjoyable hokum that delivers exactly what it sets out to do. Deserves to do well in my humble opinion. Oh and air-dropping the Jaegers would take approximately 200 Chinooks (yes I'm enough of a nerd to work that out).

wankerness

Reaction score
This movie is to the transformers franchise what the foo fighters are to nickelback.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
Pros:

-Took it's self seriously but still managed to have fun. Didn't go all "Man of Steel" with the unnecessary dark tone.
-Good, fun action.
-Enough plot to care about what happened.
-"Good" characters in the sense that what they did, usually mattered

Cons:

-Some awful dialogue. I'm not sure if they were intentional or not.
-Lame acting. Ron and a select few aside, the acting what pretty bad. Again, even if it was intentional as a sort of homage, it was still bad.
-Felt a little forced at times. Like they were really pushing you to think a certain way. For example, they shoved it down your throat that the scientists were going to be the "wacky mismatched couple" in their first scene. This lead to some parts feeling less organic and natural.

Overall:

Hell, I'd see it. Nothing too memorable but it was a fun movie and I didn't feel like I was conned out of money. More than I could ever say for movies like "Purge" or "Live Free or Die Hard."

EDIT: The phrase "awful in a great way" comes to mind.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
This isn't so much NGE as Power Rangers with a cool hundred million more to spend on CGI. (robot pilots are even called 'rangers' ffs)

This movie ruled, the fight scenes ruled, and the walking stereotypes that were presented as characters did enough to keep it alive when epic robot face punching wasn't going down.

Also the ending is wholly satisfying because no sequel hook or other nonsense was shoehorned in.

7Heavyness

Banned
Reaction score
I won't even watch it cause the whole idea is dumb, you don't put people inside of big robots to fight big monsters, you build more powerful weapons then launch them from the distance.
I need something more than good looking scenaries to make me enjoy a movie, I need a good story which makes my imagination travels and people inside of big robots fighting big monsters won't do that for sure.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ You're missing the entire point of the movie, then. Not your type of movie, is all. Here, some dumb is good. Big robots is good. It's always been good. People inside the robots is good-er. But that's okay, because, you know, that's just like, uuh, your opinion, man.

In other words, you're criticizing Indian food by saying that spicy is bad. You just don't like it, and that's okay, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
I think it stands for neon genesis evangelion, what that is beyond some anime i don't know.

Anime with a superficially similar premise (giant alien monsters vs humans using big old cybernetic robo-things).

I heartily enjoyed this movie. It was silly in a glorious way, paying homage to all those classic giant-monster movies with a good dose of giant robot action. The action sequences felt like they had a real heft to them, not like the namby-pamby CGI fizzle of Transformers.

I expected the characters to be functional at best, really just a framing device for GIANT ROBOT VS GIANT MONSTER AWESOME, but I ended up caring for them a bit more than expected. I think there was just enough characterisation to make the story a bit more engaging. A fine framing device for the nuclear-powered giant robot smacking Godzilla's ugly stepson upside the head with a
goddamn BOAT-SWORD.

Apparently there was an hour's worth of material to hit the cutting-room floor. If half of that material involves Jäger vs Kaiju battles, I'd be very interested in seeing a director's cut.

To those bemoaning the physics or the realism - bear in mind it's a movie about people fighting giant monsters in giant robots that run on nuclear reactors and the power of friendship. Leave your pedant-hat at the door. We're not in Kansas any more, and it's awesome. Rule-of-cool physics.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Just came back from the cinema. This film was everything I expected and then some more. I went to watch it with my family. I expected my dad to like it (even though he behaved like an annoying 10-year old brat throughout the whole movie... *sigh*), but hell, EVEN MY MOM loved it. As soon as she saw the poster for the movie, she wanted to leave. She kept complaining all the way through the pre-film commercials and movie trailers. Then the movie started, and she slowly started to get into it. She ended up loving it, regardless of the film's shortcomings (which I suspect might have even been intentional). A total success, if you ask me. :lol:

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Saw it on Friday.

FVCK YEAH

non-pretentious, non-gritty, non-cynical

SPACE AND ....ING BOATSWORDS

lived up to the hype/10

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ And
F*CKING SPACE CRABS!! :lol:

I forgot to mention that -42-'s remarks are correct. While it does remind me quite a bit of NGE, the film definitely reminds me more of the likes of Mazinger Z and the Power Rangers, but on steroids.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
movie did not remind me of NGE at all, aside from their helmets filling with something that looked like LCL and then at the end the one guy was like "you can find me in the drift" and that reminded me of the souls that got bound to Evas a little

but ....in hell... that movie was SICK. I just had to laugh at some parts at how pure awesome it was. everybody was larger than life, but aside from the main character had just enough of a twist to make them somewhat believable. Ron Perlman's cameo character was way too cool. the scientists hit all the right notes. Rinko was great, Idris Elba was perfect, the robots looked awesome.

only real weak point was the main character - his voice, his walk, everything about him was ridiculous. He was hamming it up big time but he didn't do it quite as well as everybody else.

going to see it again at least one more time. maybe two more times.

Apparently there was an hour's worth of material to hit the cutting-room floor. If half of that material involves Jäger vs Kaiju battles, I'd be very interested in seeing a director's cut.

doubt it.... if a big dollar effects sequence is cut, it doesn't get rendered. I bet it is all characterization and out-of-robot stuff. would stilll love to see it.

soundgardener75

Resident Weirdo
Reaction score
Came in expecting the worst. Wife LOVES Charlie Hunnam because of Sons Of Anarchy so we HAD to see it, was groaning the entire time on the way to the theater.

I was so wrong, glad I saw it! LOVED IT!

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I loved this movie. Some parts of it made me just burst out into laughter because it was too awesome :lol: You can really tell that everyone involved just geeked out and had a hell of a time. And Charlie Day is King.

')