Paf 7 vs. duncan 59 for a RG7321

• Thread starter Briggs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
here's my dillema...:nuts:

I need a low output pickup for the bridge. I like to start with clean and clear tones with a tight attack especially on the low "b", then add boost/distortion.
I know the duncan pickup requires pole piece modification to fit. And, I'm not really biased on which brand to get. So, what ever sounds good is the most important. So far I'm leaning towards the paf-7 since it, to my knowledge, requires no modification. Does the paf-7 sound good in basswood? Any opinions would be helpful!:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

God Hand Apostle

Tin Foil Central
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I havent played many different 7 string pickups. I always left Ibanez's stock and I even play the EMG-Hz's in my LTD MH-307.

As far as the 6 string pickups I've tried...I wouldnt go with the DiMarzio PAF. The Duncan just sounds clearer and less "voiced" to my ears. Like the DiMarzio has an almost wah pedal tone to it...like "aww". It could have been because I had it in a mohogany les paul, but I still didnt like it.

I just checked the DiMarzio site and they use a ceramic magnet for the PAF-7, whereas Duncan uses an Alnico V for the 59' like original PAF's. The other pickup in this range that Duncan has is the Seth Lover which may even be better considering how close the pickup is to the bridge on ibanez's. I think it reads out at like 7.2K. Original PAF's read out around 7.4K to give you an idea. The Duncan 59' Neck version that I'm getting on my KxK reads 7.43K being the closest thing to an actual PAF I could get my hands on readily.

Non-readily...I think a custom Rio Grande Genuine 59' is supposed to be a very nice pickup with aged magnets and very low string pull.

The Duncan site has clean and dirty sound clips for all pickups neck and bridge positions...hang out there for a while and let your ears guide you.

Well, youve got 1:1 so far haha. good luck.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
The Dimarzio 6-string PAF and 7-string PAF7 are completely different beasts. ;)

The 7 string version does not have a "wah" sound to it, at all. It is very clear and articulate. FYI.

Briggs

7-string noob
Reaction score
installed the paf7 last night....

it doesn't have as much output as the stock 7321's mushy, muddy, bridge pickup but, this pickup is nice!!!

it has loads of clarity and no wah sound to it!!

Its amazing, what an extremely clean pickup does when it's distorted.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
How does the distortion sound on it?

Because I was thinking about these too.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I havent played many different 7 string pickups. I always left Ibanez's stock and I even play the EMG-Hz's in my LTD MH-307.

As far as the 6 string pickups I've tried...I wouldnt go with the DiMarzio PAF. The Duncan just sounds clearer and less "voiced" to my ears. Like the DiMarzio has an almost wah pedal tone to it...like "aww". It could have been because I had it in a mohogany les paul, but I still didnt like it.

I just checked the DiMarzio site and they use a ceramic magnet for the PAF-7, whereas Duncan uses an Alnico V for the 59' like original PAF's. The other pickup in this range that Duncan has is the Seth Lover which may even be better considering how close the pickup is to the bridge on ibanez's. I think it reads out at like 7.2K. Original PAF's read out around 7.4K to give you an idea. The Duncan 59' Neck version that I'm getting on my KxK reads 7.43K being the closest thing to an actual PAF I could get my hands on readily.

Non-readily...I think a custom Rio Grande Genuine 59' is supposed to be a very nice pickup with aged magnets and very low string pull.

The Duncan site has clean and dirty sound clips for all pickups neck and bridge positions...hang out there for a while and let your ears guide you.

Well, youve got 1:1 so far haha. good luck.

Man you'r right about what you say, but he have a basswood body, i think that the PAF it's going to sound very sharp there.

The SD 59 will be a good choice, have some better mids/bass and didn't are too sharp like PAF's

PS:God Hand Apostle nice choice man, Straight Edge!

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
PAF7 is a kickazz pickup in neck or bridge position. As a 6 its "meh" to me, but as a 7 I like it a lot more.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Dimarzio 6-string PAF and 7-string PAF7 are completely different beasts. ;)

The 7 string version does not have a "wah" sound to it, at all. It is very clear and articulate. FYI.

The PAF7 in my K7s were both clear and articulate, yet did have a substantial roar to it. I don't know if thats what you mean by a "wah" sound.

Anyways this is a no brainer, PAF7. The '59 is fairly bland in the bridge IMO.

')