Pain of Salvation about to bring back the metal?

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The first Pain of Salvation song I ever heard is People Passing By, and I've listened to it probably a hundred times, but it's so much better than every single other song by the band that it accidentally makes them all disappointing.

chopeth

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes!!! Help me a little bit more to forget new Opeth forever.

Repner

Reaction score
Yeah. Daniel said a while ago the next album was going to go back to the metal stuff. I like the Road Salt albums, but I'm really excited for this.

wankerness

Reaction score
I hated Road Salt 1 and Scarsick, but Road Salt 2 had a couple good songs on it. I am looking forward to this. The new band members aren't nearly as proficient as the ones from the old days, but they're obviously still talented.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
They were hardly metal, but returning to their prog roots is a great thing yes. Their first five albums are on constant rotation here.

Vletrmx

ζ
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered this band after not having listened to them for maybe 5-6 years after I listened to One Hour by the Concrete Lake again. I look forward to see what comes out of this, especially if they can tap into that sound again. :)

vividox

Reaction score
Very exciting. Road Salt and Scarsick weren't terrible, but their first five albums were masterpieces.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes!!! Help me a little bit more to forget new Opeth forever.

:lol:

Aside from the terrible production, I dig both Road Salt's and the Linoleum EP. Then again, production has never been PoS's forte anyway.

I can't wait to hear the new lineup in action. I'm particularly excited by the fact that they have a true bassist this time. Kristoffer Gildenlöw really made a difference.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
There's a new song/video out you can view on youtube. It's definitely not Road Salt but I wasn't blown away. Looking forward to hearing more from the album.

wankerness

Reaction score
It's called Meaningless, for anyone else wondering.

rapterr15

Reaction score
Meaningless is basically one of Ragnar's songs from his old band Sign that he and Daniel decided to slightly rework and include on the album because Daniel really enjoyed the track. I don't think it will be too indicative of the rest of the album since that song wasn't written by Daniel, and the rest was written more collaboratively by both Daniel and Ragnar, from what I heard Daniel say in a radio interview recently.

A guy on reddit who got journalistic access to the album early said there are some very intricate rhythms on the album, and Daniel stated in the same interview I listened to that this album is definitely more in line with their first four albums than their more recent work. I'm really optimistic that it's gonna kick ass, and it is definitely one of my most anticipated new albums of 2017, as well as Seventh Wonder's and David Maxim Micic's.

I was listening to 12:5 last night, and damn. I had forgotten what an amazing live performance that was. Daniel was totally on his game, vocally, and the unplugged arrangements were pretty incredible. I highly recommend checking that out, if anyone here hasn't heard it.

vividox

Reaction score
I was listening to 12:5 last night, and damn. I had forgotten what an amazing live performance that was. Daniel was totally on his game, vocally, and the unplugged arrangements were pretty incredible. I highly recommend checking that out, if anyone here hasn't heard it.
I pretty much hate live albums. Honestly, I feel like most bands just use them to pad their album counts to get out of contracts or fulfill obligations and make a little money on the side doing it. Most aren't nearly as good as the cleaned and polished studio albums and I simply avoid them.

12:5 is a clear exception. That is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. It's creatively arranged, it's technically amazing, it's an awesome take on PoS's best material. Even if you hate live albums, go listen to it right now.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I am also not a fan of live albums. I haven't heard 12:5 yet but I do have Ending Themes and it's very good.

I'm getting more and more excited about this upcoming album. Hell, I'll even take something like Scarsick. I don't think Scarsick is that bad.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Ending Themes is definitely an amazing live album. Most of the songs sound better live than in studio. Handful of Nothing in particular is jaw-dropping.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Live albums only work if they don't just sound like carbon copies of the studio tracks or present new takes on songs. 12:5 is an example of the later. Examples of the former to me are any Overkill does live or or Metallicas Live ....: Binge and Purge, because while the arrangements aren't really different, the intensity (and sometimes speed) on those performances are turned up to 11.