painted or unfinished neck?

• Thread starter Drache713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
What are your guy's experience/preference with regards to painted or unfinished necks? I remember playing an old ibanez sr885 bass that had a painted neck, and it just felt sticky to play it, but i've played a couple of unfinished necks and they felt so smooth. Anybody else relate to this (i only ask cause my next guitar purchase, one of the deciding factors is whether the guitar has a painted neck or not)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm an oil finish kind of guy - both of my USA 7 strings have oiled necks. Painted necks don't generally agree with me, although I can deal with them.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
No painted necks. I've owned 1 guitar with a painted neck back in 1992 when I was 16. It was a black BC Rich Axeslinger. My friend took the guitar and sanded it down to natural finish including the neck. The guitar is long gone by now.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Definetely whatever my H-207 has, I can't stand painted necks, once I get my new pickups for the V-250 I'm taking it completely apart to fix up the dent where the tone knob was, fill up the volume knob hole (I'm gonna take it out too) and repaint it black, with red? bevels? I'm gonna do this over Christmas break so yeah...and I'll probably sand down the neck...I'll keep the headstock color because I don't feel like taking out the tuners or having to do some weird tape/vaseline job on the LTD sign haha.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
Most of my guitars have unfinished necks, but painted doesn't bother me in the least to tell the truth.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
I always get em' unfinnished...satin or bare bones and add my own Finger sk-unge!!!

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
I use to hate painted necks. Now, I've discovered that it depends on the type of paint that's used. Some feel sticky and others feel smooth as hell. I like unfinished, but also I'll play painted necks as long as they are smooth.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Overall, unpainted or satin finished. The only painted necks I've EVER got on with are on my Roswell Rhodes. You can always "satinise" a painted neck a la Alembic. Rub it down gentley with 2000 grit wet-n-dry until you get the desired smoothness. That's what I'm gonna do to my flying V when it's been refinished.

7seven7

Heavy-7-Master
Reaction score
Definitely unpainted, satin necks are the way to go for me - They are usually faster playing as well.

irg7620

zombie
Reaction score
i love satin finish. i wish i could find a tutorial on doing it so i can make a 7 for myself. anybody know where i can go (website wise) to find this technique?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've gotten more used to my ESP's painted necks and now it really doesn't bother me, yeah, the satin on the H-207 is way better but I can deal.

Reaction score
Well since both my schecters have painted necks I guess Im used to it. I dont see why it is a problem since its what you are used to that makes you play better.

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
Leon said:
unfinished/oiled/satin necks >> painted necks

>> != >

>> is actually a bitwise operation, at least in C. If you do that to an integer, it does a bitshift of 1 to the left. I think.

But anyway :p

I'm all for satin/unfinished necks. Normally, if I have a guitar with an uber-glossy neck, I take to it with some steel wool till all that lovely shine is gone :). I have an Ibanez Destroyer with a painted neck, and I so want to sand it back, but I've sworn to the gods of Ibanez that I'm going to keep this guitar as original as possible :p

Ryan

Reaction score
Unifinshed by far imo. I love those neckthrus that had the paint masked off at the heel a la ESP MIIs. Freakin hot. If i had access to the LACS shop, id be totally like that.

ESP-Kirk-Hammett-KH-2-Guitar-Rear.JPG

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Give me satin or oiled please. I hate painted necks. It's why I don't play my acoustic more. It just feel odd to me.

')