Palm mute = Too loud?

• Thread starter Ghost40
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this one...

Lately I have noticed that when palm muting, its much louder than playing unmuted. I did a few searches here and there and saw things from lowering the bass side of the pickup to using a BBE maximizer. Was just curious to see what you guys thought here.

Details: High gain metal stuff, Mesa Dual Rec (bass 11 oclock, mids 2 oclock, highs 1 oclock, modern, chan 3), Marshall 1960A 4x12, EMG 81s. No effects in the chain, straight to the amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
Sounds very unusual, don't think i've ever heard anything like that before.

You should probably start by attempting to isolate the issue- plug your guitar into a different amp and see if the problem still persists. If it does, then you know the issue is coming from the guitar itself and probably has something to do with the electronics.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. As for the guitar electronics, I use multiple guitars at practice so I am doubtful thats it. I am thinking its the bass level. Because I use multiple tunings, its usually the low tunings that do it. I won't have a chance to get to test it out until mid week some time.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. As for the guitar electronics, I use multiple guitars at practice so I am doubtful thats it. I am thinking its the bass level. Because I use multiple tunings, its usually the low tunings that do it. I won't have a chance to get to test it out until mid week some time.

The guitar sits in the middle. Crank those mids up a bit so you cut through. And, lower that bass :lol: Start all the way down and turn the bass up in small intervals. Let the bass player fill in the low end.

Destructionuponusguitar

Destructionguitarist
Reaction score
people are probably call me an idiot and deffinatley be like "WHAT?!?" when i tell you this. Leave everything where its at except for the mid. Scoop the mid to about 4 and it'll probably take care of the loud palm mute while still keeping a heavey tone. if it doesnt then lay back on the low just a hair but not too much.

:hbang:

Reaction score
people are probably call me an idiot and deffinatley be like "WHAT?!?" when i tell you this. Leave everything where its at except for the mid. Scoop the mid to about 4 and it'll probably take care of the loud palm mute while still keeping a heavey tone. if it doesnt then lay back on the low just a hair but not too much.

WHAT?!? idiot

Reaction score

Do not do this.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want it to sound worse and not cut in the mix, do exactly what he said.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Um, I would avoid going the BBE route unless you want to throw more bass out there...

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the fact that when you're muting you're pushing the strings a lot closer to the strings. This shouldn't happen. Either lower that pickup or don't put so much weight down. Make sure you're muting in a good location too, closer to the bridge.

But yeah, lower your bass too. :)

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
it sounds like you have too much compression in your chain. your palm mutes may seem to be louder because of that. play a bit with your EQ first. Next step would maybe be to look at another set og pickups.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
turn the bass down to about 9 o'clock and turn up your mids a bit. 81's are scooped as all hell and you're using a recto. Would also recommend throwing an overdrive before the amp which will roll off the lows that are causing the booming and make your tone more focused not to mention adding preamp compression and the rest

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I have turned the bass down, to about the 9 o'clock, (I don't have a BBE) seems to have helped a bit. I am looking into different pickups, maybe some Seymour Duncans (SH-4?). I'm not opposed to passives, just most of my guitars have had actives. I do keep my pickups pretty high, but everything I have seen about them recommend higher since the magnet is weaker in actives than passives...

vancouvermetalguitarguy

Reaction score

Holy crap that was random :lol:

Dores

Reaction score

Burn the blasphemer!

Latest posts

')