PanterA...

shotgunn

Reaction score
I've been REALLY missing PanterA lately, particularly Dimebag. I have resumed my usual obsession with his annihilating rhythm tone. I just can't get enough of it!!!

Over the years I have read several interviews and articles from critics and fans alike. One thing I have read that I just never quite understood. That is, the 'mixed reviews' of The Great Southern Trendkill. This album has been said to be 'experimental'.

I was a freshman in high school when that album came out. Of course I just HAD to cut school to get it. I also picked up Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss. I ended up getting grounded. My mom asked me why I cut. I told here why, she took the album for a week. I didn't tell her that I also picked up a Slayer album as well. So at least I had that to listen to.

I INSTANTLY took a strong liking to the entire album. (I listened to it all before I got home.) You can't go wrong with the way they started the album out. (Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!! That's how they spelled in the tab book , LOL!!!) My friends and I all thought the same thing about the Suicide Note's. Before we heard them, we collectively agreed, "This better not be about some girl."

Anyway, what I am getting at here is this. This album, from start to finish absolutely pounded my vital organs into submission. Sure there were some mellow tunes. But, weren't there always at least one melodic tune? Even FBD had Planet Caravan, a cover song, but still mellow. The Great Southern Trendkill has what I consider to be the two most violent, angst ridden songs EVER written. War Nerve and Suicide Note Pt.2. I mean, dude, it really doesn't any heavier than these two songs. The bridge in War Nerve, Haaaaaate!!!!! Haaaaaate!!!!! Haaaaaaate!!!!! Haaaaate!!!!! The half time chorus riff of Suicide Note Pt.2. Absolutely brutal, I am surprised people didn't just drop dead while listening to this. I am convinced that these two songs are responsible for my ongoing neck problems.:wallbash:

Say what you want about the album, I loved it form day one. And Dimebag's tone like no other. It is completely over the top yet still in total control. I don't know how Terry Date was able to get his gutiars so prominent in the mix yet not quite over power anything else. (that goes for all PanterA albums as well too.)

I had to vent these thoughts somewhere. I figured what better place than right here. Your thoughts and opinions are more than welcome.

Thanx,

shotgunn

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
To me, the chorus of War Nerve almost completely ruins the song. I don't like that Dime did so many "noise" solos on that album, because he's absolutely great at soloing melodically. I'm certainly not upset about the mellower songs, because 10's is one of my favorite songs on that album, and Floods is a classic. I thought much of the album felt pretty derivative, honestly. Like how Drag the Waters starts with a riff that sounds like a reworking of Walk, and a chorus vocal melody that's almost identical to Mouth for War (the lyrics even rhyme across the two songs). Suicide Note pt. 1 reminds me of Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi, but maybe I'm just weird. I still think it's a good album overall, but there are certainly some things I don't like about it.

shotgunn

Reaction score
To me, the chorus of War Nerve almost completely ruins the song. I don't like that Dime did so many "noise" solos on that album, because he's absolutely great at soloing melodically. I'm certainly not upset about the mellower songs, because 10's is one of my favorite songs on that album, and Floods is a classic. I thought much of the album felt pretty derivative, honestly. Like how Drag the Waters starts with a riff that sounds like a reworking of Walk, and a chorus vocal melody that's almost identical to Mouth for War (the lyrics even rhyme across the two songs). Suicide Note pt. 1 reminds me of Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi, but maybe I'm just weird. I still think it's a good album overall, but there are certainly some things I don't like about it.

Oh man, dude, I totally LOVE that chorus groove in War Nerve. I see what you mean about the 'noise' solo's. But at the same time, the album is sooooo violent and aggressive I think everything was fitting. Take Suicide Note Pt.'s solo. Total noise, because of the whammy pedal. However, due to the frantic pace and shear insanity of the lyrics, that crazy solo is exactly what needed.

Nice catch on the 'Drag the waters some more... Hold your mouth for the war...' similarity. I never noticed that.

Thanx,

shotgunn

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
This is my favorite Pantera album and coincidentally the first one I heard. I certainly agree that every song on this album is fucking amazing in it's own way. I am not even sure I could pick a favorite. This album is just so raw and energetic, I love it. The first song I heard off of it was the title track, and man did that leave an impression, a killer riff with such a raw scream right off the bat, I knew I had to own it. There is so much southern groove on this album it blows my mind. So cocky and so much attitude, definitely a masterpiece in my book:metal:

shotgunn

Reaction score
This is my favorite Pantera album and coincidentally the first one I heard. I certainly agree that every song on this album is fucking amazing in it's own way. I am not even sure I could pick a favorite. This album is just so raw and energetic, I love it. The first song I heard off of it was the title track, and man did that leave an impression, a killer riff with such a raw scream right off the bat, I knew I had to own it. There is so much southern groove on this album it blows my mind. So cocky and so much attitude, definitely a masterpiece in my book:metal:

Well said. I LOVE the groove's, 13 steps has the wickedest groove EVER!!!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Well said. I LOVE the groove's, 13 steps has the wickedest groove EVER!!!

Definitely an awesome song, the double bass kills in that one. Outside of the obvious favorites War Nerve, Drag The Waters, TGSTK, Suicide Note Pt.2, I am a big fan of Living Through Me (Hell's Wrath), that song gets me pumped!

shotgunn

Reaction score
Definitely an awesome song, the double bass kills in that one. Outside of the obvious favorites War Nerve, Drag The Waters, TGSTK, Suicide Note Pt.2, I am a big fan of Living Through Me (Hell's Wrath), that song gets me pumped!

I love that verse riff in Hell's Wrath. I've read that Dimebag used to warm up to the pattern of the intro riff. Another great example of killer tone and killer riffs. Speaking of WICKED grooves. How about that chorus riff, those artificial harmonics and the pull off's, sweet grooves.

And how 'bout that half time riff after the verse in Suicide Note Pt.2:mf666:
I know I said that already, but this guy is headbanging PERFECTLY in time. LOL!!!!:mf666:

shotgunn

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Hands down my favorite Pantera album aswell.

My favorite song from the album is prolly The Underground in America, for the leads in it near the end, I absolutely love them. Oh, and the GGCFAD tuning :evil:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I've been a massive fan for a long time and I have a hard time picking a favourite album but I do agree about his tone - it's always blown me away completey. I remember going on holiday in the Lake District the same year CFH was released and annoying the shit out of my g/f by playing it constantly - especially Cemetary Gates and those killer hamonics :hbang:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
so, am i the only one who always found the guitar tone on pantera records kinda disgusting?

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
If you post in a Pantera fan thread then that might be the case mate :)

I always felt it was a very processed and yet warm sounding tone on the verge of going completely out of control but I like that kind of thing - I'd be the first to say that its not my favourite tone.....just my favourite tone generated by a SS head.

Hawkevil

Toast Wiper
Reaction score
Dimes guitar tone fits the whole Pantera sound very well and is different to any other tone that was around at that time.

I'm not saying its amazing, just...right really.

As for my favourite album it is very difficul for me to decide. There are songs on all albums that I love but there are also songs on all albums I equally dislike.

If I was to only look at Dimes playing as a decider I would have to go with Cowboys From Hell because of the technicality of his playing on this album. I dunno, lol.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
I spent the majority of my teen years and early 20's listening to Pantera constantly.

The first time I heard about them was the day Vulgar came out. I was giving a friend a ride home and he's all, "listen to this! It just came out today!"

Trendkill came out on my 21st bday, lol.

Unfortunately that was my last album. I didn't like Reinventing that much at all. Only song I'll listen to is Uplift. I started not liking Phil's "tired" sounding vocals from all the heroin he did.

/not a Phil hater.

marbledbeef

Reaction score
I've been REALLY missing PanterA lately, particularly Dimebag. I have resumed my usual obsession with his annihilating rhythm tone. I just can't get enough of it!!!

I can relate to your obsession. I got into Pantera when they released the Vulgar cd, it was a time when everyone that I jammed with could play every Metallica song backwards :wallbash: argh!

Pantera had a much fatter sound in comparison imo and Dime had some slick licks. I kinda get the sound gripe that people bitch about but that's if I compare it to music that I listen to now. It might have something to do with the Randall amps? But then the Krank sound on the Damageplan cd is still notably Dimebagesque.
At least their sound was distinct.

I reckon Far Beyond Driven is their best cd, the solo on Throes Of Rejection is awesome.
FYI don't look up the video of Dime getting plugged on stage (if you haven't already done so) it's depressing :nono:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
you mean these guys?

pantera-powermetal.jpg

i have never liked them.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I love Pantera, the only problem I ever had with them is that for 4-5 great songs there is on an album, there's atleast 3-4 fillers.

')