Paramore thats what you get cover

• Thread starter gamber
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gamber

Reaction score
sup guys so me and a couple friends from uni have been putting together this cover, vocals have not been added yet (they will be in a couple days!)

could i get some critique on this mix please?
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/tsukihime/thats-what-you-get[/SC]

guitars are axe fx ii
bass is trilian
drums are the "natural" preset on sd2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noctiluca

Reaction score
Well, are you trying to copy the original mix? If yes I'd say the guitar tones are a bit muffled. And the chorus is played differently in the original -- the "second part" of it, specifically, are other chords. The drums could use some punch too (compress it, maybe?).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, but you can listen to the original mix without the main guitar parts in some websites.

It sounds good, overall.

gamber

Reaction score
sorry could you be more specific about the chorus part? i was using some sketchy tab. No im trying to sound a little different

Noctiluca

Reaction score
I was referring to the "I drowned out all my sense - with" guitar part. From what I hear, you repeat the same sections for these lyrics, when it's actually other thing (take as a reference for the root notes only):

>That's what you get When you
>let your heart win,
>>whoa [...]

A|-----7-----2-----11-----9-----
E|-----5-----0-----9------7-----

~repeat~

A|-----7-----2-----9-----9-----
E|-----5-----0-----7-----7-----

(and then, there's the part I mentioned)

>I drowned out all my
>sense With
>the sound of its bea
>ting

A|-----11-----9-----11-----9-----
E|-----9------7-----9------7-----

Reaction score
Yeah, brighten up the guitars a bit. If you have a single coil pickup on your guitar, use that for the rhythms. If not, then more treble! And there's definitely a funky root note or something going on in the chorus.

gamber

Reaction score
OH SNAP thanks lol my tab was horribly wrong for that part!

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
If you aren't already, parallel compress the whole drum kit. It'll really beef things up.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
You're definitely in the right ballpark. I would definitely try parallel compression on the kit to give it more body. Also, the hihat sounds really 'stiff' in the verses, maybe try playing with the velocities to make beats 2 and 4 a lot quieter?

Just listening to the original, and there is a shit load of additional percussion in the verses. If you have the time that would be really fun to add in.

Asides that, its just the stuff that has been pointed about about the wrong note in the bass (sounds like the bass skips the 3rd chord every other time?), and the chord change in the chorus. Some of the octave parts are a bit sloppy as well, but nothing huge.

Overall, really good job man. I absolutely adore the snare sound from that album.

')