"Pareidolia" - New experimental metal song (Axe fx, Mayones Regius, Juggernaut Pu's)

• Thread starter IamLukas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Muzakman

Reaction score
I rarely buy music, especially since Spotify has been available in Sweden since before I actually had any form of income. However, I could definitely see myself purchasing this.. Great job man, I really enjoyed it.

IamLukas

Reaction score
I rarely buy music, especially since Spotify has been available in Sweden since before I actually had any form of income. However, I could definitely see myself purchasing this.. Great job man, I really enjoyed it.

Thank you man ;)
Really glad to hear that. Hopefully I will be able to record vocals again in a month. Since I moved into another place I couldn't record vocals for a very long time. That sucks...
I'm planning on releasing an ep finally in the following year, so stay tuned :)

IamLukas

Reaction score
Getting that punch is depending on many things. Especially the work between the bassguitar ans bassdrum is very important. Both need to have their own "Place" in the frequency spectrum.
First try to cut some low end down 40 hz in the kick and a deep cut around 400 hz, there is some unwanted boxyness. Makes the kick deeper and rounder. Boost at 50 hz with a sharp q, maybe 5 db and a bit boosting around 80-100 hz depending on the kick you have. Then try working the bassguitar around that frequencies. Do the opposite things here get their rooms. Then you need to compress both seperately, best working in The sub group channels. Try a ratio of 3:1 - 6:1 or maybe even 7:1. Try experimenting with the attack and release time. Listen closely and hear the difference. You can make the kick more alive or overdo it and completely loose the life of the kick.
Very important then is a sidechain on the bassguitar, being ducked everytime the kick drops in. Attack and release is your friend again. Change the settings and listen to what it does to the sound of your kick and bassguitar.
There are lots of great turorials here or youtube or elsewhere.
This is just a rough idea of how I got that working together. It's hard to describe every step. There are many techniques someone can use. But I always go for: if it sounds good, it is good. I've tried thousands of possibilities and I'm sure there are way more.
If needed, maybe I might write a tutorial some day.
Just tell me where your problems are exactly and I will try my best to help you through ;)

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
The optimal kick sound for me is the one heard on the three latest albums by a band called Katatonia, and a while ago I managed to get a kick sound really close to what I'm after. It was a sample I found myself somewhere, and the only processing is some EQ. The best low frequency i found was 65 hz, and I did actually bring down the same frequency on the bass.

Bringing in a compressor made it sound less like a piece of meat, and more like a rock. I didn't think I needed a compressor either since , after all, it was a sample with constant volume. I don't want too much "click" in it either. Just a beefy, meaty sound that gets heard in the mix without having too much highs.

The only thing I want now is even more "meat". It seems like some of the high mids or low highs are missing in a way, but raising them does'nt quite make it. I've noticed that using Gclip (a maximizer/clipper/limiter) makes it sound less meaty.

Meat.

Here's an example of it in a mix: https://soundcloud.com/seybsnilksz/ibanez-rg721rw-cnf-test

IamLukas

Reaction score
The optimal kick sound for me is the one heard on the three latest albums by a band called Katatonia, and a while ago I managed to get a kick sound really close to what I'm after. It was a sample I found myself somewhere, and the only processing is some EQ. The best low frequency i found was 65 hz, and I did actually bring down the same frequency on the bass.

Bringing in a compressor made it sound less like a piece of meat, and more like a rock. I didn't think I needed a compressor either since , after all, it was a sample with constant volume. I don't want too much "click" in it either. Just a beefy, meaty sound that gets heard in the mix without having too much highs.

The only thing I want now is even more "meat". It seems like some of the high mids or low highs are missing in a way, but raising them does'nt quite make it. I've noticed that using Gclip (a maximizer/clipper/limiter) makes it sound less meaty.

Meat.

Here's an example of it in a mix: https://soundcloud.com/seybsnilksz/ibanez-rg721rw-cnf-test

Hey, sorry for being away that long.
I just listened to your track and the Katatonia songs. First of all, I really like your song, playing and mixing. It just seems a bit more dirty and not that polished. But imho it fits to your style. Raising something isn't the best way of bringing something more out. My kick is the Toontrack Metal Machine kickdrum. My favourite kickdrum for metalstyle music. You definitely have to try it out! The raw sound really doesn't need that much processing, because it's already processed in a good way. I listened to the new Toontrack "Made of MEtal" Kit and it sounds monstrous. Give it a listen, especially the kickdrum. It's very meaty. You can definitely make it sound even better with a bit of eq'ing and compression.
Samples are very important! I use a lot of different kicks in different songs, sometimes I even trigger them with another kickdrum or use a sinewave generator for the very deep feeling in the range of 50 hz.
I hope I could help you.
Cheers

')