Paris 2024 Olympics

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The extent I care is that it forced the Tour de France, for I believe the first time in history, to finish somewhere other than Champs Elysees in Paris, so instead of a symbolic and basically neutralized GC race but a final opportunity for the sprinters, we got a "live" final individual time trial, and Tadej Pogacar managed to extend his overall lead by another minute while winning his 6th stage of this year's Tour. It's always an oddity of the TdF that the race essentially ends on the 20th stage, and even if the margins are in the seconds, the general classification riders don't race but instead all do team photo ops and the leader usually passes out champagne flutes to his teammates while they ride.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Of course, tennis is on clay at Roland Garros, which is a small advantage to the Europeans. Americans typically don't do as well on clay, because we don't have many clay courts in the US.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's nice to have the Olympic games in the background. The only ones I actually watch are gymanstics, because I can never believe my eyes at what the human body is capable of doing, and soccer, which I actively follow. The other sports I'll just catch here and there, probably. Maybe I'll watch figure skating and swimming, and some of the martial arts to scratch the itch of my old inner karateka. Should be good fun!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Of course, tennis is on clay at Roland Garros, which is a small advantage to the Europeans. Americans typically don't do as well on clay, because we don't have many clay courts in the US.
This is mainly what I'm looking forward to. Feels like I missed the last few Olympics and they were over before I even realized they were going on. I have a nostalgic soft spot for the winter games since I have more memories of being a kid and watching that while my mom made fruit cake.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I was exited for the promise to clean the Seine to finally be able to swim in it, which of course they fumbled. Also Macron's promise to swim in it for the opening was almost as hilarious as the public response swearing to take a shit upstream 24h in advance.

Hoh wait you meant actually sports? Then I don't really care as the Olympics don't have any motor sports.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
No mention of cardboard beds, no booze in the Village, or what goes on when athletes arent competing? You guys are nothing like the local classic rock station!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Anyone else excited for the ridiculousness that is Kayak-cross?

I know one guy who is going to be thrillled to see this. Of course it doesn't compare to kayaking on open water, uncharted, in 12 foot swells.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else excited for the ridiculousness that is Kayak-cross?
I don't know why but when I first read "kayak-cross" I imagined the thing in American Gladiators where they'd beat the shit out of each other with the Q tips but in kayaks. The real thing makes a little more sense.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be watching the opening ceremony but mostly to see what kind of masonic magic is being cooked up. I have expect some major event to take place this year as its the 33rd games...

')