Part Exchanging Worth it?

• Thread starter ManWithDaPlan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Well, here's the deal. I know someone who's offering me their RG7420 (which is in great looking condition, I might add) for 300+Shipping with the hard case too. Now, this seems like a great deal to me. But I know the 7420 has bad stock pickups and a lower quality bridge. Here's what I thought.

I originally thought I could change out the pickups and bridge of the 7420 to higher quality parts. But would it be possible for me to change the bridge on the 7420 at all without having to do routing? And would it be worth it at all? I mean, the 7620 and 7420 seem about the same quality, besides the pickups and bridge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Cheaper and less hassle just to spend $100-$200 more for a 7620. Seriously.

butch

Reaction score
The 7420 is not a bad guitar. Pickups are a question of taste. The V7 and V8 are better than most stock pickups, and perfectly servicable for most styles of music. I left mine stock and had no complaints.

As for the bridge, I set mine up for 4 springs, and a 10 gauge strings. With a good set up and properly stretched strings, the guitar stayed in tune. By no means was I yanking on the ba incessantly, but I did give the bridge a good workout.

Cheers,
Butch

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
ManWithDaPlan said:
OFR? As in Official Floyd Rose? Otherwise, I'm unfamiliar with the acronym.

And is the 7420 really that bad?
I personally like my RG7420. The TRS7 trem isn't great, but it's also not terrible. It is made in Japan, thankfully, which means that the manufacture is of consistent, high quality. It actually stays in tune for me. That's probably because I did so much work to set it up properly, including chapsticking the trem post grooves. That being said, the TRS is not nearly as smooth as an Edge, but you can still use it to do subtle whammy stuff, bending to notes, etc.

I've heard some other people on here talk about liking their TRSs, I think maybe Vince and Shawn?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Vince insists his TRS performs just as well as every Edge 7 he's played, and he's one of the guys who could tell me that, and I'd actually believe him. ;)

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
I think 300$ for a good condition 7420 is a good deal to me. I just thought I could get that and later give it a bridge upgrade.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Vince insists his TRS performs just as well as every Edge 7 he's played, and he's one of the guys who could tell me that, and I'd actually believe him. ;)

Yes, but I also said I think it's an anomaly :D

Most TRS bridges suck. I'm really really surprised mine is actually a good one.

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
I'm not going to go into the whole Steve Vai whammy abusage thing, but will it at least allow me to do some basic tricks and such without going out of tune?

')