Passive pick-ups

• Thread starter Guitarist4JC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarist4JC

Reaction score
What passive pick-ups are people using here? I was debating about buying a Duncan Custom and Jazz.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
DiMarzio Blaze also. Awesome pickup in basswood I gotta say. It's the only experience I have with 7-string pickups other than the stock Schecter dealie that I replaced, but it's basically everything I'm looking for in a pickup.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Guitarist4JC said:
What passive pick-ups are people using here? I was debating about buying a Duncan Custom and Jazz.

Using a custom Dimarzio Air Norton 7 in the neck, with an Alnico 5 magnet and hex polepieces, and a custom Duncan JB 7 with a ceramic magnet and hex polepieces.

I just whooped your ass! Austin 3:16

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Duncan JB-7 in the bridge and the '59 in the neck. Love both of them but the JB is the best!! The JB is a fantastic pickup.

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Guitarist4JC said:
What style of music do you play Rev?

A lot like Korn but with electronic industrial elements mixed in. I tune down to "A" and have been playing electro-industrial/goth type stuff for the past 5 years and decided I wanted to go back to guitars but keep the flexibility of synths for a wider and more interesting sound palette. :) I'm just starting this though and am currently searching for band members so I don't have anything current to share. I can however share my last work with if anyone would like, though I'd have to PM it to those of you as I'd like to keep Google away from linking my posts to my band name.

Rev.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Blaze's as well. I just set up my UV again last night, and actually raised the pickups a bit - good lord. These things own in basswood.

-D

AR-15

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of active EMG's (mainly the 81) and I want to put an 81-7/707 combo in my Carvin DC727, but it drives me nuts that they are so big!
I am tempted to go with the Lundgren Model M or something from Bareknuckle, but just one of those would cost me as much as the pair of EMG's, so it is a tough call.

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
Rev2010 said:
Duncan JB-7 in the bridge and the '59 in the neck. Love both of them but the JB is the best!! The JB is a fantastic pickup.

Rev.

I really need to go out and try those, because I love the regular versions of those pickups, so Im really curious to see how they translate into a 7string.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go Bareknuckle Warpig. Consider yourself lucky you're in the States.
An EMG 81-7 costs $320 here as opposed to about $200 for a Bareknuckle.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It depends on the wood. My UV is stupidly resonant in the low end, and driving a Nomad-45 (set for a Mark-IIC or IV -like lead tone - i.e, loads of mids) the result is pretty well balanced.

The Air Norton is a wildly popular choice for a neck pickup in, well, in anything, and for me it's a tossub between that and a Blaze for the neck, with maybe the AN slightly ahead. A lot of people like the Tone Zone in the bridge, and in basswood it's nice, but it's very lower middy, without much true bass. I'd say, depending on what youi're playing, a Blaze custom (most amps) or a Blaze Bridge (mesa-y) would be a good match for your 1527.

-D

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
No Soul said:
I really need to go out and try those, because I love the regular versions of those pickups, so Im really curious to see how they translate into a 7string.

They work very well for 7-string. A lot of people here have posted on how much they love the JB. It seems though the general concensus is that they're great in mahogany so I personally have no clue as to how they'd be in basswood or other woods. The two seven strings I have (Schecter C-7, Ibanez AX7221) are both mahogany and I have JB's in both. I also have a Jackson KE3 which is poplar and has the "duncan designed" version of the JB and it sounds totally awesome as well which is why I decided to stick with JB's from now on. So, I can't see it being bad in basswood but maybe someone else can lend some feedback.

Rev.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Rev2010 said:
They work very well for 7-string. A lot of people here have posted on how much they love the JB. It seems though the general concensus is that they're great in mahogany so I personally have no clue as to how they'd be in basswood or other woods. The two seven strings I have (Schecter C-7, Ibanez AX7221) are both mahogany and I have JB's in both. I also have a Jackson KE3 which is poplar and has the "duncan designed" version of the JB and it sounds totally awesome as well which is why I decided to stick with JB's from now on. So, I can't see it being bad in basswood but maybe someone else can lend some feedback.

Rev.

I have a basswood body guitar with the jb/jazz set in it. It sounds amazing. Pinch harms come with no effort, and it just cuts right through the mix. My friend has a blaze in his basswood guitar and we plugged both in right after one another...no contest, JB won hands down. The JB had a little less bass, but it had more clear cutting tone and was way cleaner. The Blaze sounded good when i played on it for a while, just loved it. But after a half hour I pluggeg in my guitar with the JB and was like, damn that blaze is muddy( might attribute that his setup is a little higher than mine). Both have great output, and the clean channel on both were good. But, the JB was much more shimmery and the bass factor wasn't as noticeable. Only when distortion was used could you tell the blaze had slightly more bass. As said in another thread, the blaze sounds like the JB with a blanket over your amp. Now, my UV is on its way and I'm interested to compare it to my other guitars and pickups. Since the Blazes and UV's are like peanut butter and jelly, I may leave it alone.

As for basswood, i prefer the JB honestly. i can dial in extra bass if I wanted it (it's not that it lacks bass or anything, it just has more highs and mids that allow it to cut). It packs a punch on my XXX that the blazes just fall short it, it has more of that 7 string bounce dirt sound that I like, while the blaze falls through like dead strings do. I could play a show with both and not think twice about it, but when it comes down to it, the JB just rips through for leads and the rhythm is far more brutal.

Eric

p.s. the evolution ROCKS in alder. Also, the JB in my mahogany guitar has the bass of the blaze but the shear shredding and rippage that the JB is known for (by far the best for mahogany...however I'd like to try an EVO in there some time to see how it comes up)

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i've got stock PU's in my RG7621, and some sort of DiMarzio's in my RG570. i should really figure out what they are :p

AR-15

Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
I'd go Bareknuckle Warpig. Consider yourself lucky you're in the States.
An EMG 81-7 costs $320 here as opposed to about $200 for a Bareknuckle.

Yikes!

Latest posts

')