Passive to Active - Battery Wire Question

• Thread starter WeBowInItsAura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
So today I finished wiring up my new BKP Aftermaths, but am very disappointed to hear some ground hum when I'm not touching the strings or bridge. I've tried re-soldering connections and cannot figure out what is causing it! I didn't change the Output Jack when I got the new pickups (I just left the stereo jack), so I'm wondering if I need to disconnect where the battery was connected to the output jack or just leave it? I'm going to try getting some new wire and trying again in the morning but really don't want to bring it to a tech just to solve this ground issue. Anyone have any ideas!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

potatohead

Reaction score
Did you ground the bridge? Actives are self-grounded and if you didn't add a ground wire from the bridge when installing the passives, you will need to.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Did you ground the bridge? Actives are self-grounded and if you didn't add a ground wire from the bridge when installing the passives, you will need to.

Yea, the ground wire question here is where I would look first, but I would rewire with a mono jack myself. I'm not sure if the battery could introduce hum without feeding a preamp.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score

Well, I didn't add a ground to the bridge myself. But I did ground a wire that I thought was the bridge ground. I mean, I have no idea what else the wire could be because its going through its own little hole towards the bridge area and its NOT the battery wires... I have an Agile Septor 727 if that tells anyone anything.

How hard would it be to add a bridge ground wire with a hipshot bridge?

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Well, I didn't add a ground to the bridge myself. But I did ground a wire that I thought was the bridge ground. I mean, I have no idea what else the wire could be because its going through its own little hole towards the bridge area and its NOT the battery wires... I have an Agile Septor 727 if that tells anyone anything.

How hard would it be to add a bridge ground wire with a hipshot bridge?

An unshielded wire bridged between the bridges connected to the ground of the circuit works. Can you draw your circuit please including the stereo jack config.

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys I will mess around with it and try and ground the bridge as well as probably get myself a mono jack! Besides the hum this BKP Aftermath is pretty killer coming from EMG 707s... Passives all the way!

WeBowInItsAura

Paranormal Entity
Reaction score
An unshielded wire bridged between the bridges connected to the ground of the circuit works. Can you draw your circuit please including the stereo jack config.

I drew up a quick sketch in paint. Also I don't have a neck pickup at all at the moment...

EDIT: The hexagonal shape on the tone pot is my Capacitor. And I also forgot to draw in the wire that I grounded that I am pretty sure IS my bridge ground! That wire was sodered to the back of the volume pot as well.

2cseago.jpg

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Try soldering the black and bare to the tone knob and do not bridging the volume and tone pot. Rather than ground the cap, send the end you grounded to the middle position on the volume knob. Then let me know.

Uploaded a mod of your pic. Sorry if it's confusing. It's hard to draw in between taking 911 calls

Attachments

• 2014-02-16-02-11-08.png
    2014-02-16-02-11-08.png
    784.8 KB · Views: 6

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Don't worry about a mono jack. Just solder the ring and sleeve terminals of the jack together, that will effectively give you a mono jack.

')