Paul Gilbert Rock School

• Thread starter xzyryabx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but a quick search didn't result in any threads on this.
I want to start over with guitar and go over a lot of the basics that i skipped over and are holding me back. Tried the random targeted online-lessons as I felt was appropriate but I have come to the conclusion that I need something much more structured and a lesson plan devised by someone that knows what he's doing.
Live private lessons are expensive and every schmuck that knows how to play seems to think they are qualified to teach nowadays, and having tried a few teachers and not been impressed I was getting discouraged. But I just came across Paul Gilberts school: https://artistworks.com/guitar-lessons-paul-gilbert
Has anybody tried it or heard about it from someone that has?
Are there any other comparable options out there to consider?

sirbuh

Reaction score
Soild stuff - lots of exercises, pen based etc.
Check out Ry Naylor if you are geometrically inclined: just phenomenal job with guitar based theory.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.
Signed up for the Paul Gilbert Rock School....and I'm shocked!
Started off with the beginner course, and it's been a humbling experience.
Always considered I was a solid intermediate level guitarist, but it opened my eyes that I am missing a massive chunk of the basics which truly have hindered me from progressing as a guitarist.
He's a great teacher, and the lessons being structured and around 5 minutes long plus the fact that the course is on-demand is an amazing system which allows you to learn in tiny chunks, perfect, move on, and actually see progress.
So glad I signed up, thanks for the input! Wish I had done this years ago.
Also checking out the Ben Eller lessons on youtube, and he shared an alternate kicking exercise which has improved my alternate picking by leaps and bounds in the past few weeks.
To anybody that feels they no longer need lessons...you're probably wrong and there is likely something out there that you can learn which will make you improve even further than where you are now.
\m/

devastone

Reaction score
...he shared an alternate kicking exercise which has improved my alternate picking by leaps and bounds ...

Pretty awesome typo! Glad the lessons are working out, I'm an old dog (2 yrs older than Paul), but maybe I should look into some new tricks.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
"Up to 5 Video Submissions to Teacher"

So you upload your videos and Paul actually watches and gives feedback?