Paul Gray (Slipknot bass player) found dead

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I dont understand crying over the death of someone you didnt know.
I guess him dying is "sad" but really? Crying?

Slipknot wwere a massive band, and got a lot of teenagers into the metal scene where they could escape from life. I know I grew up listening to em. You don't have to meet someone for them to mean a lot to you. Its a shitty thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Murmel

Reaction score
Damn, his wikipedia article is going all crazy atm...

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
If it was drugs or getting too damn drunk then I don't feel sorry for him at all. If it was something else I absolutely do. Don't like the band at all but :(

SevenStringSam

Reaction score
hey the good news is that his name will not end and his son will keep his name and legacy

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
OD'd with a family on the way?

I feel for his wife but I can't be too sympathetic about someone who abuses substances in that situation - sorry if that rankles.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
This is quite a shock as he had been playing bass for Will Haven (most underated band ever!) recently and was with them in the studio helping write new material too so I presumed he would have been clean by now and tbh I thought he would have his act together at his age anyway.
Either way I guess this means the end for Slipknot as I just can't see them wanting to replace him cause they seem like the sort of band who would quit if a member left/died.

Reaction score
This is quite a shock as he had been playing bass for Will Haven (most underated band ever!) recently and was with them in the studio helping write new material too so I presumed he would have been clean by now and tbh I thought he would have his act together at his age anyway.
Either way I guess this means the end for Slipknot as I just can't see them wanting to replace him cause they seem like the sort of band who would quit if a member left/died.

Yeah, but could you really see them folding it up if one of those keg beaters perished?

Besides I'm sure Paul was turned down in the mix anyways ;)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah, but could you really see them folding it up if one of those keg beaters perished?

If it was Clown almost definitely, he is a major part of Slipknot.

Paul wasn't turned down man, some of his basslines are pretty dominant, and he writes a lot of the guitar too. I don't know whether they'll stay together or not. I think maybe they'll see this as an indication that the band has run its course.

SevenStringSam

Reaction score
not gunna lie, i love slipknot and i really hope they dont break up

Reaction score
If it was Clown almost definitely, he is a major part of Slipknot.

Paul wasn't turned down man, some of his basslines are pretty dominant, and he writes a lot of the guitar too. I don't know whether they'll stay together or not. I think maybe they'll see this as an indication that the band has run its course.

That was just a stock bass player joke, although I can't remember his basslines being too prominent. Then again, its been awhile.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as

I just get the feeling through interviews (especially with Shawn) that they'd end it cause it's their "thing" and a member leaving/dying would mean that the "circle was broken" or something like that but if they don't break up I imagine their next album is going to be angry as fuck.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i agree with the general sentiment in this thread. it´s sad, and a shame. he did dumb shit and payed the ultimate price.

also, celebrities die ALL THE TIME, and have done so every year. the difference now is that the people dying are people who we grew up knowing and hearing about, and especially lately it´s been hitting close to home for us. james brown, michael jackson, les paul (although he was lucky enough to grow older than most people!), george carlin... these are people who we know, because their active years have co-incided with our lives. this stuff happened before too, we just didn´t live back then. and lots of the people who died in the beginning of our lives were people who were active before our time, sorta. also, i´m speaking for the 80´s-90´s generations here.

kurt cobain died around the time when i started primary school. back then i didn´t even know who he was, although i had heard smells like teen spirit. that was the start and end of my knowledge of him.

think about the amazing people who died before us, and before som of our parents, even. jimi hendrix and all that stuff!

we´re just seeing that happen ourselves now, instead of hearing about it later in life when we discover these people.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
If the story of him overdosing with a kid on the way is true, the guy was a selfish prick quite frankly.
I definately feel bad for his family, though.

')