Paul Gray (Slipknot bass player) found dead

Mexi

Reaction score
Even though I was less impressed by Slipknot's later work, they were definitely one of the bands in the late 90s that got me into metal. Seeing 9 guys go ape shit on stage and playing some of the most brutal shit (that I'd heard) was something else. RIP Paul, gonna be looping 'Iowa' today for sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sicstynine

Reaction score
Even though I was less impressed by Slipknot's later work, they were definitely one of the bands in the late 90s that got me into metal. Seeing 9 guys go ape shit on stage and playing some of the most brutal shit (that I'd heard) was something else. RIP Paul, gonna be looping 'Iowa' today for sure.

totally true. been listening to slipknot in the past weeks and now this D:
all in all, a rather shitty year up until now (too much passed away so shortly after...)

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I think SLipknots newer stuff is better but I guess I'm alone there. :lol: Guitar tone on the first couple albums was horrible, way too weak. Newer stuff is more varied, goes from brutal to really melodic but creepy.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Paul actually has been clean for the last 3 years. He was the one trying to keep everyone else in the band clean. Yes, he used to have CRAZY drug problems, but he's kept totally away from it. He became very business-oriented about the band.

There are a lot of his friends and family that will be crushed if it was indeed a drug overdose.

RIP Paul.

Hey, i just know what the article said. Take it up with them, and unless you were with this guy every single day, you have no idea if what your saying is actually true. Same for the article but you know what i mean

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
So maybe all the holier than thou people can leave there judgments out of this thread and leave it for paying respects and admiring the work he did with Slipknot :cool:

This is real life dude. Its not all sunshine and rainbows. You have to hear about the good AND bad. If it wasnt an OD then the autopsy will show it. If it was, then i dont really have any pity for that

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I think SLipknots newer stuff is better but I guess I'm alone there. :lol: Guitar tone on the first couple albums was horrible, way too weak. Newer stuff is more varied, goes from brutal to really melodic but creepy.

I also think their newer stuff is better and I agree a 100%. :yesway:

behemoth91

Reaction score
isnt it weird how when theres a drug related death the story gets wayyyyyy more attention? im sure theres alot of hypocrits on here hating on drugs and theyre doing it themselves. btw beer classifies as a drug, look it up. i lost my father due to drugs when i was 11 and i had rarely seen him before that so everyone stfu i think this thread has turned from a thing about a bassist dieing to a heated debate, now lets get back on topic here.

Mexi

Reaction score
This is real life dude. Its not all sunshine and rainbows. You have to hear about the good AND bad. If it wasnt an OD then the autopsy will show it. If it was, then i dont really have any pity for that

addiction is a disease that is incredibly difficult to treat, even with medicine and behavioural therapies. he was clean for a few years and it appears to be an unfortunate relapse. the man leaves behind a wife and a baby, you might want to have a little more tact is all.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a big "personal responsibility" person and I don't usually have a lot of sympathy for people if and when they throw their lives away. However, addiction is something a lot of people pickup when they're young (teenagers) and stupid. I'll attest to the fact that I'm not the same person I was when I was a kid, and I was fortunate enough not to pickup any bad habits that followed me into adulthood but not everybody is so lucky.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very sad to see. I sent Dino a deepest sympathies text message, I know he and Paul were friends.

RIP Paul Gray. :(

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
addiction is a disease that is incredibly difficult to treat, even with medicine and behavioural therapies. he was clean for a few years and it appears to be an unfortunate relapse. the man leaves behind a wife and a baby, you might want to have a little more tact is all.

addiction is a choice. people decide to stop and have many times. Calling it a disease is just a cop out IMO(i know its technically is considered a disease).
My point is, i cant just choose lime disease or something like that to go away, but a person can choose that they have had enough drugs and can change their lives.

I'd have a lot of tact, but when a man leaves behind a wife and baby because he CHOOSES to be high, then thats not a man. A man takes care of his family.

Once again, i dont know if it is true that he od'ed or not, but thats my take on the hypothetical.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Very sad to see. I sent Dino a deepest sympathies text message, I know he and Paul were friends.

RIP Paul Gray. :(

:( I can't imagine how the band must be feeling now. Having a member leave is bad, but dying? Thats tough. They're all really nice guys especially Corey from what I've heard and seen, so its even worse.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
addiction is a choice. people decide to stop and have many times. Calling it a disease is just a cop out IMO(i know its technically is considered a disease).
My point is, i cant just choose lime disease or something like that to go away, but a person can choose that they have had enough drugs and can change their lives.

Pretty wrong there man. From the sounds of it you haven't known someone with a heavy addiction because it is horrificly difficult to stop. Especially heroin.

')