Paul Gray (Slipknot bass player) found dead

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont care what any of you say. There are people who have gotten off every addiction possible. What one man can do another can do. No one put a needle in their arm or anything like that. It was a choice. Start taking some responsibility, dont condone passing the buck.

Is it easy to get off? No, its not, but its in YOUR power to stop. A disease is something you cant choose to stop. A disease is something you have no control over. Addiction is a selfish person that wants to wallow in their own guilt and feel sorry for themselves.

I can understand how its sad, but if someone chose to be injected with a real disease such as lime disease or lou gherigs disease, you would say "what an idiot" and probably wouldnt feel sorry for them because they made that choice. Well, addicts made a choice to start in the first place.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I dont care what any of you say. There are people who have gotten off every addiction possible. What one man can do another can do. No one put a needle in their arm or anything like that. It was a choice. Start taking some responsibility, dont condone passing the buck.

Is it easy to get off? No, its not, but its in YOUR power to stop. A disease is something you cant choose to stop. A disease is something you have no control over. Addiction is a selfish person that wants to wallow in their own guilt and feel sorry for themselves.

Theres no need to be like that dude, just because you don't agree doesn't mean you shouldn't care what other people have to say. I have an uncle who was addicted to heroin, and one day he decided to lock himself in an elevator for ages and go cold turkey. It worked for him (at least for a while). But it takes massive mental and physical strength to come off drugs, and if you got into them because you were in a dark place, then you'll be weaker coming out.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You clearly have never known anyone with an addiction. Not to say I condone any use of drugs, because I am completely against it, but to say he died by his own choice right then and there is just overly ridiculous. I agree that it was his choice to begin doing the drugs, but like Randy said, we all do stupid shit as teenagers, some of us more stupid than others. The guy was clearly trying hard to come off the drugs and actually went awhile without them and then something kicked back and he ended up here. It is possible to show a little bit of sympathy for someone. Loosen your britches and act like a human for once.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be combative, but my uncle was an addict. He kicked it after a few years. It can be done, i'v seen it. So Thats kind of a moot point.

People need to start taking responsibility for their actions. 9 out of 10 people look at a morbidly obese person and think to themeselves "thats nobodys fault but their own". And why? because they have the power to change but choose not to. Same thing with addicts. I think addicts talk about how they are addicts so people will feel sorry for them instead of taking them for the selfish over indulgent person they apperently are.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be combative, but my uncle was an addict. He kicked it after a few years. It can be done, i'v seen it. So Thats kind of a moot point.

People need to start taking responsibility for their actions. 9 out of 10 people look at a morbidly obese person and think to themeselves "thats nobodys fault but their own". And why? because they have the power to change but choose not to. Same thing with addicts. I think addicts talk about how they are addicts so people will feel sorry for them instead of taking them for the selfish over indulgent person they apperently are.

Not saying it can't be done, some people can just do it. But its like running a marathon, sometimes it takes a lot more out of some people to finish. They do need to take responsibility for their actions, and it is a selfish thing, but I don't think it is a choice exactly.

Reaction score
Not saying it can't be done, some people can just do it. But its like running a marathon, sometimes it takes a lot more out of some people to finish. They do need to take responsibility for their actions, and it is a selfish thing, but I don't think it is a choice exactly.

It was a choice to start ;)

Nobody forced them to start.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
It was a choice to start ;)

Nobody forced them to start.

It is, but what leads someone into drug addiction can be powerful. Escaping abusive parents, peer pressure, depression etc etc. Sure its still a choice, but I guess what I'm trying to say is its easy to tarnish all addicts with the same brush, and by no means a I condoning what they do, but we are ignorant to their lives and cannot comprehend what choices they have made and what they've been through. Its a bad place to be and I think that deserves some respect.

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Jesus Christ people! Show some fucking respect :noplease:

I bet all these people would change their tune if someone who was close to them died as a result of drug addiction. They probably wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of people on the internet who have NO IDEA of what really was happening in Pauls life basically saying "The selfish idiot deserved it..."

It must be easy for everyone sitting up on their moral high ground to cast down judgment. If you think he was an idiot that is fine but why do you feel the need to come in here and say negative things. When someone dies we should be celebrating his life not running his reputation into the ground based on rumors and arm chair social commentary.

If you have never turned to drugs (including alcohol) of any kind in an attempt to numb the pain, you felt was too much to bare, than all the more power to you, you were strong enough to resist the temptation. Don't sit here and cast judgment on people who have gone down that path, again, you don't know their situation. Unfortunately for alot of people, they feel like they have nothing left to try, as fucked up as that sounds some people just can't see another way out. Everyone's situation is different and complicated, don't generalize and stereotype people who you know nothing about is basically what I'm getting at here :agreed:

Skeletons would fall out of everyone's closet if we looked hard enough. People need to get off their high horse and show some common courtesy as I doubt all these people would say these things in person to someone he was close too

/End rant

Antimatter

Reaction score

I bet all these people would change their tune if someone who was close to them died as a result of drug addiction. They probably wouldn't take kindly to a bunch of people on the internet who have NO IDEA of what really was happening in Pauls life basically saying "The selfish idiot deserved it..."

It must be easy for everyone sitting up on their moral high ground to cast down judgment. If you think he was an idiot that is fine but why do you feel the need to come in here and say negative things. When someone dies we should be celebrating his life not running his reputation into the ground based on rumors and arm chair social commentary.

If you have never turned to drugs (including alcohol) of any kind in an attempt to numb the pain, you felt was too much to bare, than all the more power to you, you were strong enough to resist the temptation. Don't sit here and cast judgment on people who have gone down that path, again, you don't know their situation. Unfortunately for alot of people, they feel like they have nothing left to try, as fucked up as that sounds some people just can't see another way out. Everyone's situation is different and complicated, don't generalize and stereotype people who you know nothing about is basically what I'm getting at here :agreed:

Skeletons would fall out of everyone's closet if we looked hard enough. People need to get off their high horse and show some common courtesy as I doubt all these people would say these things in person to someone he was close too

/End rant

Now I was one of those people who criticized him in this thread for drug use, but I'm not saying that it was all his fault, or whatever. I don't know him, I don't know what he went through, but it's still a shame that his family had to go through it. The damage doesn't go away because you have an excuse. I'm sure he was a cool guy and a great bassist, but he still has to take the blame for what he does.

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Now I was one of those people who criticized him in this thread for drug use, but I'm not saying that it was all his fault, or whatever. I don't know him, I don't know what he went through, but it's still a shame that his family had to go through it. The damage doesn't go away because you have an excuse. I'm sure he was a cool guy and a great bassist, but he still has to take the blame for what he does.

Yes but other people saying things like "He deserved it.." is way over the top.

It was his fault but making him out to be some pathetic junkie is just cruel and wrong

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score

/End rant
Talk about being on a moral high horse dude:rolleyes:
In no way shape or form did anyone say he deserved it. It totally sucks. Its just irresponsible if thats how he went. If he didnt have a child on the way, i would say it was his choice to live how he wanted. But i'm not going to condone honoring someone who did the wrong thing while their family hangs in the balance. Famous or not. Someone who i like personally or not.

But once again, its all hypothetical at this point. He may have died from something else, but take a chill pill man. Its a discussion forum, your going to have to grow some thicker skin because its a free world and people can say what they feel.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
Neg rep me all you want guys :lol: Its wonderfull some of you can get your panties in such a bunch over an opinion on an internet forum. Grow up :lol:
You would have thought i said periphery sucks or something with the neg rep i got :lol:

Hey everyone, someone doesnt think excatly the same as i do. Lets freak out about it!!

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Neg rep me all you want guys :lol: Its wonderfull some of you can get your panties in such a bunch over an opinion on an internet forum. Grow up :lol:
You would have thought i said periphery sucks or something with the neg rep i got :lol:

Hey everyone, someone doesnt think excatly the same as i do. Lets freak out about it!!

:lol:

I don't buy into Rep wars man :nuts:

Maybe no one said the exact words "He deserved it..." but that sentiment was under lying.

Also I fail to see how I am "Being on a moral high ground" but hey everyone has their opinion, doesn't make either of us right or wrong, its just an opinion. I was just strongly expressing mine, not blowing up :cool:. I actually enjoy sinking my teeth into to debates on here, specially on a day like today (raining like a bitch ).

So yeah, whoever is neg repping 7stringsofhate for expressing his opinion in this thread is being pretty childish :nono:

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
:lol:
Also I fail to see how I am "Being on a moral high ground" but hey everyone has their opinion, doesn't make either of us right or wrong, its just an opinion. I was just strongly expressing mine, not blowing up :cool:. I actually enjoy sinking my teeth into to debates on here, specially on a day like today (raining like a bitch ).

So yeah, whoever is neg repping 7stringsofhate for expressing his opinion in this thread is being pretty childish :nono:

well you did use an awful lot of "you" and "they" and instructed people to not do things that you didnt agree with. which equates to a pointed finger.

for the most part i agree with what your saying but i dont think you delivered it very well.

also...you did call it a rant.

')