Paul Gray (Slipknot bass player) found dead

atbmsyl

Reaction score
just heard it on the sirius radio in the car. i am a HUGE Slipknot fan and always will be. Rest in Peace Paul

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MickD7

Reaction score
Man what a loss. Dio last week now grey, big parts of my childhood and teen years as a metal fan now gone but never forgotten. Slipknot where one of the bands that shifted my interest in guitar playing- drop tunings. I feel so sorry for his wife and unborn kid. Yeah drugs are bad they kill people. And not attacking anyone for what they have said. At the end of the day he may have had a drug problem but there's this He may of had his problems and they may have caused his death but it's no reason to condem him for it. He's still a human being at the end of the day.

RIP Paul

Thank you for helping me find my feet in heavy metal. Without your bands influence. I could have been another candy ass indie kid.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Did not see that one coming...

Been a while since slipknot was even on my radar but jeez I can't imagine what its like dealing with a death in a band like that.

natspotats

Reaction score
that really sucks that he died of a drug overdose considering he was clean for like 7 years. it makes me sad, they made some really good music together and i was fortunate to see them in october so i have something to remember him by

metalvince333

Gear Whore
Reaction score
damn...every damn member of slipknot was a god for me when I was a kid...I hope it makes them want to bring it all back and not the opposite... I would hate if it brings the end to slipknot..

RIP Paul..

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Slipknot fan, but man that's rough. Clean for seven years, then relapsing, only to OD and leave behind a wife (now widow) and unborn child. Sounds like he was struggling with addiction.

My thoughts and prayers go to his family.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
So this is my first post in this forum & I hoped for it to be a better one than this, but I just felt like putting in my two cents.

Slipknot, like many other people (some who may be shameful to admit it, but come on now.), changed their lives and with me being one of them this shook me up. If it weren't for their music I wouldn't have told myself "This is what I want to do with my life." And since then I've been playing guitar for 7 years. There is no denying that what he was doing was obviously a bad thing, and there's nothing wrong with having no sympathy for drug abuse. I just wish the best for his family as they are obviously going through a very hard time - more so for the poor child who has to grow up without a father because of drugs.

I really would hope Slipknot keeps going with their music - watching the All Hope Is Gone DVD you can see clips of Paul, Shawn (clown), Jim and Sid writing some pretty interesting, spacey non-SK sounding stuff. Apparently they went to a separate studio and started recording stuff that never ended up on the new record (for reasons unknown). Who knows, it may be released as a tribute/their last offering. I highly doubt they will go on tour without their brother, because they've said in the past that without one member they aren't Slipknot, but we'll just have to see. If only this was just one big rumour...R.I.P Paul Gray.

dewy

Beet Farmer
Reaction score
:agreed: same here dude

back in '99 i was like 6 and my dads friend went to ozzfest and brought back a cd with some of there stuff on it and since then ive been a fan.

my life would drastically differ from now if it wasnt for them

dude

I'm the same age as you and lived in kent for 10 years :nuts:

/offtopic

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
I have been thinking about what will happen to Slipknot now that Paul has passed.

I don't really see them introducing a new member to a brotherhood that is extremely tight. The only way I can see them continuing is if Shawn or Chris take up bass duties :shrug:

Still pretty shocked about this. Been cranking Slipknot in the warehouse all day

Reaction score
Its always a shame when something like his happens, but when you're getting high off your ass err day, especially with a family on the way, you kind of have it coming.

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
Its always a shame when something like his happens, but when you're getting high off your ass err day, especially with a family on the way, you kind of have it coming.

Bit harsh dude :squint:

Apparently he had been clean for awhile and this was obviously a fatal relapse. Nobody knows what inner demons or mental issues he was dealing with that possibly drove him to use again. This is just a tragedy for everybody involved, his family, band ,friends and the metal community as a whole

So maybe all the holier than thou people can leave there judgments out of this thread and leave it for paying respects and admiring the work he did with Slipknot :cool:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
averyone here is calling him a druggie, the link says he battled drugs, what confirmed drugs was this guy taking on a regular basis? and i mean like SRV drinking cocaine in his jack daniels confirmed. not just i heard he like "etc." i just hate seeing these guys dying off :( and i also hate it when rumors fly about how big a drugie someone was :(

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
When I got the text from my friend today I couldn't believe it. Metal is taking quite a few losses lately...The Rev in December, Dio Last week, now this. Paul was a great bassist (especially if you heard their early practice tapes where he would just rock the bass) and he will be missed. Slipknot pretty much opened the door too all the metal I listen to today.

RIP

')