Paul Gray (Slipknot bass player) found dead

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
averyone here is calling him a druggie, the link says he battled drugs, what confirmed drugs was this guy taking on a regular basis? and i mean like SRV drinking cocaine in his jack daniels confirmed. not just i heard he like "etc." i just hate seeing these guys dying off :( and i also hate it when rumors fly about how big a drugie someone was :(

:agreed:

This

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Micheal Jackson, Billy Maze, Farrah Fawcett, Pete Steele, The Rev, Dio, and now Paul Grey within less than a year?

I wonder who has the death note... :ugh:

Just kidding :lol: Sucks that happened.. Wonder whats going to happen to slipknot?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Sad news
RIP #2

Can some moderator change the topic title to "Gray" at least write the guy's last name right :yesway:

Ilikejuice

Reaction score
That's a very sad news...
Slipknot's first three albums have had a big influence on me. I've allways liked Paul's playing, especcially intro on "Gently"...
RIP Paul

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
I hate to say it but him being clean for so long then to have a fatal OD... I mean when my Missus text me saying, the first thing I thought was suicide rather than drugs due to his history with inner daemons etc....

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
This sucks so bad, just read it on yahoo.... Gray fcuking rocked! awesoem bassplayer, am genuinely gutted. RIP dude

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
Man, what the hell... We're losing a lot of names this year :(

R.I.P

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
R.I.P Paul Gray, hopefully this will be the catalyst for slipknot to end before they completly turn into corey's solo thing/stone sour. Pray for mick to release the stuff him and paul have been writing, blatantly amazing.

dont get me wrong their one of my favorite bands and have been for the last 10 years, but i think corey and james are shitting on their own doorstep so to speak,
If they do stay together i hope they bring back their ferocity(witch is evident on parts of all hope is gone) and leave the stone sour shit alone.

BRB writing the death metal Mick Thompson always wanted to write :lol:

This sucks big time, It's his own fault though. I hope his son will learn the truth and learn from it and base his life on NOT making the same mistake his father made.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
averyone here is calling him a druggie, the link says he battled drugs, what confirmed drugs was this guy taking on a regular basis? and i mean like SRV drinking cocaine in his jack daniels confirmed. not just i heard he like "etc." i just hate seeing these guys dying off :( and i also hate it when rumors fly about how big a drugie someone was :(

This. The fact he had to go and isolate himself in a hotel room says that he was embarassed about it, and it was most likely not something he did often.

I know people who have had a rough time with drugs and alcohol, and its easy to say 'oh they had it coming', but the fcat of it is theres generally a lot more to it than we know. Its a dark place and even once you've got over you're addiction, it still lingers.

behemoth91

Reaction score
fuck man, i started getting into metal 2 years ago when i was like 12 and these guys really started getting me into this shit, they opened the gates for other bands like behemoth,cannibal corpse etc. and no matter how much they are sellouts now, they still got at least the majority of metalheads into metal today. well then now that being said i wonder whos gonna take up bassits, hopefully shawn cause he does nothing pretty much. man metal is getting fucking hammered with deaths right now man.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Well this totally sucks. I can't see them replacing him, they have always said that when the unit was not operating as a whole anymore they'd jack it in.

Tbh, I really wish they had quit before the release of AHIG, because they were definitely not all on the same page for that one, espescially Jim Root who really spat his dummy out during the production of that album. It has seemed for some time that him and Corey have been writing their Stone Sour songs and putting them out under the Slipknot name, blurring the line between the two bands. I suppose Slipknot were always going to have a bigger following and therefore bigger sales.

If they had stopped after Iowa I would have been sad at the time, but in hindsight it would have been better for their legacy in the long run. Finishing after Iowa would have seen them going out on a high, instead of the underwhelming Vol3 and the diabolically watered down AHIG. Their early manifesto was to do it heavy and hard, and it seems that they just totally lost sight of that. I always wondered what the guys who really wanted it heavy like Mick and Chris thought of the softer, ballady stuff and the increasingly softer songwriting style. Shawn had wanted AHIG to be a really experiemental album with ambient stuff aswell as heavy stuff, but it just turned out being another Stone Sour album.

The death of Paul could work to Slipknot's advantage and give them their fire back, but in all honesty I think they would be better off if they called it quits now, and its with a heavy heart that I say that, because they were the first band that I was really into, by pure coincidence I'm even wearing a Slipknot T shirt right now! If they do quit following this, I will breathe a sigh of relief; it will be a sad day, but at least they can stop certain members of the band trampling their integrity. I really let go of Slipknot after Vol3, I knew the direction they were taking and that they would probably never get their fire back, so I ha my funeral for them years ago. Still, even if anything good comes of this situation, it's still terribly sad that Paul had to die like this.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
always been a fan. RIP

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Pretty saddening news. I remember listening to Slipknot when I was about 11 with my older brother and his friends and thinking "I'll never be into stuff this heavy!". But now I listen to some pretty extreme shit. And it all started with these guys. I kinda lost interest when they came out with Vol. 3, but Iowa and S/T were pretty genius. RIP Paul.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score

:agreed: +rep to you

sPliNtEr_777

Reaction score
my favourite bassist since Cliff Burton. I shudder to think what will happen to slipknot's recording career now. Lets hope Jason Newsted doesnt get wind of this... :lol:

seriously though, my thoughts are with the guys in the band, and especially his wife Brenna, he was the only bassist crazy enough to roll with the nine. RIP Paul x

')