Peavey 3120 Sound Problem

• Thread starter rlv132
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rlv132

Reaction score
Everytime i play on my 3120 at loud volumes it sounds like ass when im standing infront of it, but if i move behind it or to the side it sounds like 300x better. Just wondering whats up with that. :nuts:

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Forced Chaos

Reaction score
What kind of speakers are you running in your cab? To me V30's have a pretty tight projection and just moving a little bit when your standing in front of the cab will give you differences in your sound. I'm using a Vadar right now with Emi Legends and they're not as bad as the Celestions in that regard. V30's are a killer recording speakers for that reason though. Oh BTW I have the 3120 too....sounds sick with the Vadar for live sound but I've never tracked it so I don't know how easily the Legends mic up.

rlv132

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing your settings and what you have ur volume set on? It just sounds really weak, i do have v30's.

Thanks

drenzium

Reaction score
Your ears change to an off axis angle to the speakers, cuts a majority of the treble out of the sound and sounds warmer and tighter. There's no real way around it, bro.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
Could be speaker cab but also the amp. To me VHT was like that and it sounded like crap when close mic'ed in the studio but sounded better about 10 feet away. Is it just to the side that it sounds better are further away out front?
You know they used to make some sort of baffle for cabinets that cuts the ice-pick treble from the front of the speakers. Maybe try and find one.

Forced Chaos

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing your settings and what you have ur volume set on? It just sounds really weak, i do have v30's.

Thanks

Channel: Red
Channel Volume: 11:00
Master Volume: About 4 or 5 when practicing with our band
Bass: Right around 2:00 or so
Mids: 11:00 to noon
Highs: Noon to 1:00
Dampening Switch: Set to loose

What setting do you have your dampening switch set at? This could also be an issue because you get a volume drop when you switch it to medium or even more on tight. At loose it provides the highest volume and will give you the fattest sound while still staying tight. I would also check your impedence switch on the back of the head and make sure it matches the ohm rating of your cabinet. The only other thing that I can think of that effects the volume of the amp is your effects loop. You have send and return level knobs on the back of the amp to mix in your wet signal. This is only going to be a factor if you have your effects loop engaged. I think if I remember correctly the send is supposed to be set at min and the return at max but I'll have to see how I have it set on mine.

If none of that works I guess it's possible that you could have a bad tube so you may want to check them too. But with that head combined with V30's it should sound pretty badass because mine is a beast and I'm only running it through a Vadar 2X12.

rlv132

Reaction score
Could it have been the acoustics of the room? I was playing in my drummers basement it's a fairly large space and I put my cab onto a shelf in the middle of the room. As soon as I got it home it sounded alot better and I was in a smaller room and the cab was close to a wall.

')