Peavey 5150/6505 in a box pedals?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
There are tons of Dumble and Marshall in a box pedals, and even a few recto units but I don’t see many based on such an icon of modern metal tone. What are the ones you know of?

AMT P2 is the main one that comes to mind. Maybe Amptweaker Tightmetal (although maybe not actually “based on”)?

The MXR5150 doesn’t count imo as it’s based on the EVH 5153.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
None of those actually marketed "5150" in a box pedals get close. That MXR EVH in particular doesnt sound anywhere near like the real thing.

Im pretty impressed by some of the new floorboard amp options though. The various Bluguitar Amp1 models all sound amazing. Could easily get much closer with products like that imo.

Gmork

Reaction score
There are tons of Dumble and Marshall in a box pedals, and even a few recto units but I don’t see many based on such an icon of modern metal tone. What are the ones you know of?

AMT P2 is the main one that comes to mind. Maybe Amptweaker Tightmetal (although maybe not actually “based on”)?

The MXR5150 doesn’t count imo as it’s based on the EVH 5153.
The tightmetal is ACTUALLY based on yhe 5150 (& vh140) but its its way more 5150 than vh140. Imho it pretty much nailst 5150 tone to a T. Its too raw to really get the vh140 sound but its in there. Just my opinion. Have owned the amps and pedal btw

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Pretty sure this is based on the Peavey 5150.

uUWoFDZLRbGYzywcNhbqZg.jpg_1180xaf.jpg

http://www.mooeraudio.com/product/-015---Brown-Sound-42.html

Gmork

Reaction score
Oh and btw the amptweaker depth finder is based on the res/pres power section of the 5150 ( and made by the creator of the 5150 as the tightmetal was)

dhgrind

Reaction score
Oh and btw the amptweaker depth finder is based on the res/pres power section of the 5150 ( and made by the creator of the 5150 as the tightmetal was)

when I asked he will mod in the depth finder to a tight metal for 90$

lewis

Reaction score
Or for 1/2 the price, there's the Mooer Preamp Live. I just got one and it's pretty badass for the price.
Whats the Mooer effects like and can you just use those for patches (on the GE200/300 models?)

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I tried the AMT P2 and was pretty disappointed, thin and harsh tone. Then I got an Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro and I have been a preamp pedal convert ever since. It sounds so good that I haven't felt the need to fire up my 6505 in over a year at this point. I got mine modded with res/pres knob built in and it sounds simply incredible.

The only real bad thing I have to say about it is that the built in noise gate is a bit meh. If you keep it set low it will tame some of the noise and maintain your signal, but if you really want it to gate like a Decimator the levels required lead to tone suck. I usually just keep it almost all the way off as the pedal isn't too noisy considering how much gain it has.

I love the TMP so much that I grabbed a Jr. to use with my living room practice rig. It gets you most of the way there, but the single tone knob isn't nearly as useful as the three band EQ on the Pro version.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I have the tight metal Jr, wonder if an eq pedal will get it to be like the Pro version?
I'd say so. I get the Jr. fairly close to my Pro with the switches and tone knob so an external EQ would probably get you the rest of the way. That said, the EQ on the Pro is pretty unique and could be worth the upgrade when you factor in the external boost if you already love the Jr.

The EQ controls seem to interact and influence how the others respond as they would on a traditional amp. They're also a bit different than your standard B/M/T. To my ear the low, mid, and high actually adjust various parts of what we typically associate with the mid range frequencies. For example, the low doesn't add a ton of bass and thump, it seems to add in more low mid girth. The high knob also seems to add as much high mids as it does treble. This really allows you to sculpt your tone in a lot of ways.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I have the tight metal Jr, wonder if an eq pedal will get it to be like the Pro version?

No. Get the pro version.
And if you can afford it, get the depthfinder mod for it.

That pedal (with the mod) is the most brutal, modern, 5150 sounding preamp period (in my opinion). I know it’s supposedly partially based on VH-140c but, the only characteristic I hear from the VH is the fast lowend response.

I haven’t tried the latest elite preamp pedals (KSR Ceres or Victory Kraken) but, i can’t imagine them being “better” than the TMPro and especially not at 5150 style brutality.

Sollipsist

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Mooer 005. With the built in cab sim on, it's pretty realistic into a PA or interface. Into a power amp/ loop return and cab it's a little dark but the tight heavy sound is outstanding. With an outboard power amp/cab sim it's amazingly versatile. And for cleans, I definitely prefer the pedal to an actual 5150, it's really detailed and takes other pedals well. Really good value.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
No. Get the pro version.

That pedal (with the mod) is the most brutal, modern, 5150 sounding preamp period (in my opinion). I know it’s supposedly partially based on VH-140c but, the only characteristic I hear from the VH is the fast lowend response.

I haven’t tried the latest elite preamp pedals (KSR Ceres or Victory Kraken) but, i can’t imagine them being “better” than the TMPro and especially not at 5150 style brutality.
well considering the KSR amps aren't even close to a 5150 (or marketed as such), I would doubt the preamp based off those amps would be.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Whats the Mooer effects like and can you just use those for patches (on the GE200/300 models?)

There are ZERO effects on the Preamp Live. One of the major differences between the Mooer GE-200 & GE-300 are some effects and there are close to double the number of amps on the 300 than there are the 200. The main reason why I got the Preamp Live is because it has the amps of the GE-300 (which costs over $1,000 CDN) and I really didn't need the effects.
All the Preamp Live has is 12 drive pedals, 104 amps, both pre and post noise gates, an ir loader with about 12 slots for 3rd party irs and a switchable series/parallel fx loop. It is pretty bare bones but it also has literally every one of the micro pre amp pedals in it in addition to a bunch that SHOULD be made into micro pedals.
So yeah, if it's just amp sims you're after, then this IS the one to get for sure.

efiltsohg

Reaction score
No. Get the pro version.

from an interview with James Brown:

At Kustom I designed an amp called the Double Cross, which was a very heavy sounding amp…Mark Kloeppel from the death metal band Misery Index had used it, and after I started Amptweaker he contacted me with a dilemma that many of those bands face. Metal bands play a lot of festival style gigs where 10 bands all show up to play, and they usually all share the backline…..but you never knew what you’d find there. Mark asked me if I thought I could design an amp that sounded like an Ampeg VH140C, or 5150, or some combination, so he could travel to these gigs and just plug it into the effects return or power amp input and get his tone…and it needed a noise gate. I had already come out with our TightDrive overdrive pedal, which uses my own proprietary design quite unlike all the tube screamers out there…so I spent a few months boosting the gain and tweaking. Mark told me that many of the main death metal bands used that 140C, and he told me the settings that they all used. I had a friend with one, so I borrowed it and set it up with those settings so I could curve it on my spectrum analyzer and listen to it.

When I curved the Ampeg, I thought the curve seemed familiar…so I hooked up my block letter 5150, and set it to Eddie’s favorite setting from back in the 90s. I was blown away that the EQ curve matched almost exactly. So I used that curve as the basis for my TightMetal Pedal. Over the years I had used a really simple but effective noise gate that stops the notes really hard, so I put that in there too. And I included the Tight knob we had on the TightDrive pedal, which allows you to dial in the attack to be really chunky and in-your-face, or thicker and more buzzy. When I sent it to Mark, he couldn’t believe how close it sounded to the 5150 and also very much like the Ampeg VH140C, and that’s where that whole line came from. Since then we added the Pro versions, which have a Boost system that boosts before and after the distortion and includes multiple effects loops that come on with the pedal, another with the Boost, and a third that comes on when the pedal is OFF so you can kick off some clean effects that you patch in there. One click to go from clean with a chorus to that massive metal tone with gate, and another to kick on your solo boost and delay.

')