Peavey 5150 II adjustable bias mod?

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I'm getting a peavey 5150 II tomorrow and heard that there is an adjustable bias to make it run hotter.

Is this true, and is it something I can do myself?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Have you SEARCHED??? This is taken from Eurotubes website.

If you can handle a Solder Iron and are confident with Electrical components...go for it.

euro-k

Peavey 5150 II and 6505+

[SIZE=+1]The 5150 II and 6505+ are the same amps and fall into the love it or hate it category. I get calls and emails all the time from players who sold or traded their original 5150's off for the 5150 II or 6505+ and the question is always, "how do I get my 5150 II or 6505+ to have the balls my 5150 had?" Unfortunately the answer is you can't get there from here... The voicing on these amps is totally different than the original 5150 and Peavey choose to basically neuter the 5150 II. It simply does not have the low end grunt and raw sound that the original had. This is not bad, its just different and you will find plenty of players who love the 5150 II.

[SIZE=+1]I'm questioned a lot as to the bias adjustment on the 5150 II and 6505+. This amp does have an adjustable bias but the available sweep is pretty narrow and the only way to get the power tubes out of crossover distortion is to lower the resistance to the circuit and once again this is a very easy mod and well worth it.[/SIZE] Inside the amp there is a small circuit board that has the bias trim pot mounted on it and the final bias resister which is a 12K 1/4 watt resister. All that's necessary is to replace that resister with a 6.8K 1/4 watt resister which will increase the window of available bias adjustment. A final bias setting of between 36 to 40mA of plate current per tube measured with a bias probe is a good setting. You only need to probe one tube, set the bias for it and you’re done.
The bias pot is located right next to the power tubes so if you use a short bias probe you don’t even have to remove the amp from the chassis. We have our own Eurotubes bias probes which can be used with any multimeter that will do this for 25.00
[/SIZE]